Speculation: Will Burmistrov return to the Jets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I just saw John Shannon on Hockeycentral and he said allot of the former NHLers over at the KHL may be in the mood to returning back to North America especially those who think they got snubbed out of the olympic team. He specifically mentioned Burmistrov and that the change of coach increases the chances of him returning as well. What do you guys think about this possibility? In my view, with Buff moving to forward, having Burmi back will add even more depth to our top 6.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Nothing is imminent, but I certainly expect him back in the NHL.
I hope with the Jets, at least to being.

I'll save King Woodballs some time...

King Woodballs: Most overrated Jets player. Anyone that wants him can have him.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Don't think it will be this year and I'm not sure whether next year is an option either due to contract. I'd love to have him back and the lineup could definitely use the extra infusion of talent.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I just saw John Shannon on Hockeycentral and he said allot of the former NHLers over at the KHL may be in the mood to returning back to North America especially those who think they got snubbed out of the olympic team. He specifically mentioned Burmistrov and that the change of coach increases the chances of him returning as well. What do you guys think about this possibility? In my view, with Buff moving to forward, having Burmi back will add even more depth to our top 6.

Top 6? 10 goals in 47 games in the crappy KHL isn't exactly tearing it up. If Jokinen doesn't sign with the Jets in the summer Burmi will make a good 3rd line centre, if Jokinen signs then Burmi makes a really good 4th line centre. Trouble is you will need to pay him a lot and a lot meaning money you don't pay a bottom 6 guy.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Top 6? 10 goals in 47 games in the crappy KHL isn't exactly tearing it up. If Jokinen doesn't sign with the Jets in the summer Burmi will make a good 3rd line centre, if Jokinen signs then Burmi makes a really good 4th line centre. Trouble is you will need to pay him a lot and a lot meaning money you don't pay a bottom 6 guy.

Top 6? 15 goals in 41 games in the crappy KHL isn't exactly tearing it up. If Setoguchi doesn't sign with the Jets in the summer Kovy will make a good 3rd line left wing, if Setoguchi signs then Kovy makes a really good 4th line left wing. Trouble is you will need to pay him a lot and a lot meaning money you don't pay a bottom 6 guy.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Top 6? 15 goals in 41 games in the crappy KHL isn't exactly tearing it up. If Setoguchi doesn't sign with the Jets in the summer Kovy will make a good 3rd line left wing, if Setoguchi signs then Kovy makes a really good 4th line left wing. Trouble is you will need to pay him a lot and a lot meaning money you don't pay a bottom 6 guy.

Your satire makes its last stand, and tragically dies, on the belief that either Kovalchuk or Burmistrov is a top 6 forward in the modern NHL. I agree with your claim that the statement "Burmistrov is a top forward if and only if Kovalchuk is a top forward" is literally true, I simply disagree with the second premise that either of those two are top forwards for Winnipeg today. I wouldn't take Setoguchi, Jokinen or Buff off the 3rd line for either of these two. If that makes me a bad coach, so be it.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Your satire makes its last stand, and tragically dies, on the belief that either Kovalchuk or Burmistrov is a top 6 forward in the modern NHL. I agree with your claim that the statement "Burmistrov is a top forward if and only if Kovalchuk is a top forward" is literally true, I simply disagree with the second premise that either of those two are top forwards for Winnipeg today. I wouldn't take Setoguchi, Jokinen or Buff off the 3rd line for either of these two. If that makes me a bad coach, so be it.

Do you seriously not think Kovalchuk is a top line NHL winger?

Wow. Just wow.

If Kovy came here he would easily be the most talented winger on this roster.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Do you seriously not think Kovalchuk is a top line NHL winger?

Wow. Just wow.

If Kovy came here he would easily be the most talented winger on this roster.

Would he? In his last year in the NHL (11G in 37 games) he prorated to 24 goals in a full season. We'll have several forwards better than that, never mind the effect of two years of rust accumulated from playing in a B-league-at-best.

I wouldn't replace Kane, Wheeler, Ladd or Frolik with him; all are on pace to score more except Frolik, who is very close but is far better a two way player; none of those top 4 wingers are the petulant head-case that Kovalchuk is.

If you have a time machine and get me the 3-4 years prior Kovy, maybe. But while we're at it, I'd rather get the 3-4 years prior Jagr for a song.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Would he? In his last year in the NHL (11G in 37 games) he prorated to 24 goals in a full season. We'll have several forwards better than that, never mind the effect of two years of rust accumulated from playing in a B-league-at-best.

I wouldn't replace Kane, Wheeler, Ladd or Frolik with him; all are on pace to score more except Frolik, who is very close but is far better a two way player; none of those top 4 wingers are the petulant head-case that Kovalchuk is.

If you have a time machine and get me the 3-4 years prior Kovy, maybe. But while we're at it, I'd rather get the 3-4 years prior Jagr for a song.

So I guess his 20 assists also don't mean anything, while on a team that's severely lacking talent? Or being over a point per game the year before.

Kovalchuk is still one of the most highly skilled hockey players in the world.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
So I guess his 20 assists also don't mean anything

They don't mean NOTHING, but we both know they are each not worth a goal, through simple economics.

.., while on a team that's severely lacking talent? Or being over a point per game the year before.

Kovalchuk is still one of the most highly skilled hockey players in the world.

"The year before" is huge, especially when you are talking about a player 5+ years past his statistical primes. Ray Whitney went from "a point per game" two years ago to mud last year, to mud squared the year after.

Just going by his last year's NHL stats alone, Kovy would not be a top 2 line winger with the Jets. Add in two years of rust playing in a B-league on top of his skittish lack of dedication to the NHL. He'd be a great 3rd line winger if they moved Buff back to D, but would certainly insist on a lot more than 3rd line winger money. So, let him rot accepting 95% of his salary in danger pay flying twin props from one 20,000-pop Eurasian town to another, he's clearly happier that way.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Your commitment to this ridiculous premise is impressive.

In general, taking a Sip post and trying to argue it logically is a really really bad idea.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I don't know where Kovalchuk stands to be honest, he's producing about the same as Nigel Dawes this year. He's definitely not an elite hockey player today.

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary

I agree with sip on this one, Burmi is a problem trade his rights for a pick anything. We dont need a guy who thinks hes datsyuk but is really not even close.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Burmi would help the Jets, but I don't see him in a top 6 role, certainly not at center. Soon Scheifele will be the team's undisputed top center likely playing with Kane and Wheeler. Next would be LLF. Maybe Burmi is a good fit as center on the 3rd line. Maybe he plays wing on the 3rd if Olli resigns. I'm assuming Seto is long gone by next season.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Burmistrov certainly has some skill. I would be curious to see him play under Maurice. Noel was such a disaster, it was hard to evaluate this team as a group or individually.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Can't see Burmi returning to the Jets with open arms. A return to NHL, sure. To Jets, I'm not convinced. Just my opinion.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Wow. The one thing I did not expect at all was people would argue that Kovalchuk wasn't a legit top 6 forward. I mean I could see not a franchise player anymore, but what? It...boggles the mind. Just, I mean, what?

Kovalchuk is a top 3 forward on almost any team in the NHL. Nevermind not a top 9 forward on the freaking Jets.

A Whitney comparison? Kovalchuk is 30 years old, not 41 years old (not too mention almost a ppg at 40 last year).

This just makes no sense, other than some ridiculous outdated (even then never really true) idea that NHL contains the best 600 players somehow. Kovalchuk is one of the best players in the world as this tournament in a few weeks will show, you doubters will see.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think Burmistrov would help this team as a 3rd line center more than Jokinen would next year. He is a great checking center. If Maurice could get his head in the right place, he could play with just about any winger we have. If he's gone so be it, but he's still such a promising young player.

No Name Poster

Maurice Navidad
Oct 29, 2011
The Peg
I think Burmistrov would help this team as a 3rd line center more than Jokinen would next year. He is a great checking center. If Maurice could get his head in the right place, he could play with just about any winger we have. If he's gone so be it, but he's still such a promising young player.

Don't discount Olli's leadership though. Replacing our most veteran, vocal leader with a hard-to-coach sometimes brat with a language barrier may not be best for this group

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
The only reason people figure Burmi didn't pan out was because of his unwillingness to play into Noel's system/being a brat. Add a couple years of experience/age and have him underneath a coach who has much more experience with young/immature players and I think we see a different result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille