Dreger: Will be very surprised if Hoffman is not dealt at the draft; Karlsson trade far less likely.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Well, no...
Hoffman is a great fit with Duchene (has a notoriously difficult time finding chemistry) and is Ottawa’s second best winger, a team that isn’t flush with amazing wingers. Operating on a 68-70 million dollar cap and assuming they actually are going to sign Karlsson. You would have (estimated) Karlsson at 11, Ryan at 7.5, Gaborik at 4.875 (if not bought out), Hoffman at 5.187, Duchene/Stone at 8, Anderson at 4.750, and Ceci at 5. That’s nearly 55 million spent on 8 players on what could be a cap as low as 68 million.

There’s a reason Hoffman is on the block, and it’s not because he’s a poor fit or that Ottawa doesn’t need him. Look for Elc’s or draft picks to be the return.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’m already as tired of seeing Lucic in trade proposals as I was JVR last year.

Imagine Ottawa taking that contract. Imagine anyone.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
On the two Hoffman destinations mentioned in the main post.

I can't see CGY acquiring Hoffman because they have so few draft picks. None in the first three rounds of the 2018 draft, and then they are already missing their 2019 2nd. I'd imagine that Ramsus Andersson might be part of the ask since the Senators need badly to re-establish depth on the right side of their defensive core, and a near NHL ready young defender would help to re-establish the Senators backend after losing both Phaneuf and Methot last season.

A good starting point in a deal with the Kings would be the 20th pick in the draft. Adrian Kempe would be a good piece for the Senators, but I'd be a bit surprised if he was available.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Well we already know Karlsson won't get traded before July 1st because Dorion said they will give him an offer.

If there's actually an intention to trade Karlsson, I think there's still a chance they'd do it at the draft if they got an amazing offer, and Dorion would just fall back on how he said all along that he has to listen to the best offers/do what was best for the team, and he got an offer he couldn't refuse that wouldn't be there on July 1st.

Let's be real, both sides have probably talked numbers already. So either they are on board or they aren't. If Karlsson gets traded at the draft, it's probably a positive because it means the Senators got something so absurd that the return makes it worth it for Dorion to deal with the headache of going back on his word of not trading Karlsson until after July 1st.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
What's preventing Dorion from finding out what Karlsson wants? If the Sens knew that they couldn't re-sign Karlsson, then they could give Colorado the 4th pick and trade Karlsson and Hoffman at the draft so that they can tank for Hughes next year.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
What's preventing Dorion from finding out what Karlsson wants? If the Sens knew that they couldn't re-sign Karlsson, then they could give Colorado the 4th pick and trade Karlsson and Hoffman at the draft so that they can tank for Hughes next year.
No, just no. We got lucky at 4OA esp. If Montreal leaves us Zadina. Zadina and run. Trade Hoff trade Smith trade Ceci and resign Karl Stone Duchene. The writing is practically there.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
No, just no. We got lucky at 4OA esp. If Montreal leaves us Zadina. Zadina and run. Trade Hoff trade Smith trade Ceci and resign Karl Stone Duchene. The writing is practically there.
That could work well, but what if Karlsson doesn't except Dorion's offer come July 1st? Than not having a potential lottery pick next year could really hurt.

crazyroyal12

Aug 21, 2014
Ottawa
I personally wouldn't think twice about offering 32, nylander and the 19 1st (sharks pick) And maybe another piece
As a Sens fan I honestly really like this deal. Melnyk is looking to shed salary so that box gets checked and Nylander is still so young he’s got a chance. Especially with a less talented forward group on the Senators next season.

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
Some players we have been discussing on the Sens board...

Klefbom
Nurse
Brodie
Hamilton
Muzzin
Forbort
I would do brodie straight up for Hoffman, fits aneed for both teams imo. Would even be willing to throw in a decent forward prospect like mangiapane in too

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Keep in mind, the Flyers inquired about him at the draft and this was the talk:

A player like Hoffman would not come at a low cost, and that proved to be the case as talks never really got any further than the feeling out process. The starting point for which it would take to pry Hoffman away from the capital city of the True White North was believed to be rookie defenceman Travis Sanheim and a first-round draft pick as a starting point, along with another roster player – Scott Laughton’s name may have popped up.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Dreamland

I think Hoffman + could land some of those guys and Forbort + could land Hoffman. These are just names that are being discussed.

People aren't saying "Hoffman can return these guys".
Moreso "these are guys we should be looking into".

Avs44

May 16, 2011

The Oilers ended any concept of tanking for the 1st overall. The Avs had the worst season of any team in the modern era and they ended up with....the 4th overall pick. The Sens should keep the pick and hope Zadina falls, because I think there's a good chance the Canadiens will take Kotkaniemi. I am surprised the Sens are considering trading Hoffman, but regardless, they really need to keep their pick this year and hope they can have a bit of a resurgence next season with some youth.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I think Hoffman + could land some of those guys and Forbort + could land Hoffman. These are just names that are being discussed.

People aren't saying "Hoffman can return these guys".
Moreso "these are guys we should be looking into".

Fair enough.

Selling wingers sucks.
We couldn't land Cody f***ing Ceci for Taylor Hall.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00