Dreger: Will be very surprised if Hoffman is not dealt at the draft; Karlsson trade far less likely.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
via Lebrun (the Athletic)

The thing with Calgary is what do you offer? You have no 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 5th in this draft.

You could offer your 2019 1st but the issue is if you do that then you have no 1st, 2nd or 6th in the next draft

The flames prospect capital is drained right now.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Why the hell would the flames trade for Hoffman?

Is he a right wing right shot all of a sudden? Is he better than Gaudreau and Tkachuk?

Don't see any planet where the flames trade for Hoffman. Let alone for Hamilton, arguably our best player. That's ridiculous.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
We need a better sweetener than a very late first
I agree. I like Fabbri but the risk with him is way too much. Would have to be an extra conditional 1st or something as well.

Why the hell would the flames trade for Hoffman?

Is he a right wing right shot all of a sudden? Is he better than Gaudreau and Tkachuk?

Don't see any planet where the flames trade for Hoffman. Let alone for Hamilton, arguably our best player. That's ridiculous.

Hoffman is a left shot but can play RW with Monahan and Gaudreau/Tkachuk. He played a decent amount of RW this year when Stone and Ryan were both out. Looked pretty good. He's a sniper and those guys can typically get away with playing their off-wing.

As for Hamilton, I doubt it happens. But Ottawa would have to add, Hamilton has more value. Maybe there's a Brouwer/Ryan involvement as well (Ryan is your right shot man and still a top 6 RW if he stays healthy). I'd include pieces like Ceci and/or 22nd overall. Having Hamilton would be huge for Ottawa, no matter which way they went with Karlsson.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I agree. I like Fabbri but the risk with him is way too much. Would have to be an extra conditional 1st or something as well.

Hoffman is a left shot but can play RW with Monahan and Gaudreau/Tkachuk. He played a decent amount of RW this year when Stone and Ryan were both out. Looked pretty good. He's a sniper and those guys can typically get away with playing their off-wing.

As for Hamilton, I doubt it happens. But Ottawa would have to add, Hamilton has more value. Maybe there's a Brouwer/Ryan involvement as well (Ryan is your right shot man and still a top 6 RW if he stays healthy). I'd include pieces like Ceci and/or 22nd overall. Having Hamilton would be huge for Ottawa, no matter which way they went with Karlsson.

The thing is, we have so few right hand shot players that we desperately need our traded acquisition to be a right hander.

As for Hamilton, as I said, he's our first to second best player, in his early twenties, improving rapidly... I don't think there's anything you could give us that would soften the blow of losing that player...

Brodie, Gio? Sure. Could probably find a fit.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Can’t tell if this is smart management or the Sens putting a PR spin on trading Karlsson and being like “see, we said we would only do it if we had to”

Meanwhile they created the necessity themselves by making Karlsson now demand to be traded after how he’s been treated and how the team isn’t set up to win now or in the future (both from a talent and cap perspective). All while being too expensive for Eugene to sign anyways
Wait. I havent been paying attention much. Summertime, with young kids..... karlsson has now demanded to be traded?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
To be honest, I think Arizona should be in on this. I think they have the picks and prospects/young guys that would really intrigue Ottawa. Adding Hoffman to a line with Stepan could really help them as well.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

- Sens have no interest in trading Karlsson, will only do it if they have to.
- Hoffman far more likely to be dealt than Karlsson.
- Interest has been significant, consistently, since the start of 2018.
- Dreger says he knows for a fact that Dorion has been getting "a ton of interest" regarding Hoffman and that he believes a team will "absolutely" step up and pay a large price.
- Ask for Hoffman was multiple pieces, Sens value him highly.
- Projected increase in the cap will make it so that more teams can get into the bidding.
- Dorion will do everything he can to sign Karlsson.
- He believes that we will receive extremely tempting offers on Karlsson, offers that make organizational sense.

I suspect the Sens are looking for a top 4 D, a 1st rounder, top prospects, and/or young forwards.

Edit- via Lebrun (the Athletic)

IS that for Hoffman?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
All those players have a salary. Doesn’t make sense since trading Hoffman is entirely financially motivated.

This isnt true but once he is traded it will be crystal clear.

Hoffman for 10th overall with the Oilers dumping a little bit of salary (not lucic and not as much as Hoffman makes).

Oilers offer klefbom + 1st + Tyler Benson + Milan lucic. Conditional first if Karlsson resigns.

hahahahahaha

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
IS that for Hoffman?

Probably just meant those are things sens are intrested in. Hoffman will for a prospect and a pick. I'd target Kyrou from STL (although they don't wanna give him up, rightfully so) and a 2nd. I'd also target someone like Sanheim from Philly, especially if Hakstol refuses to give the guy a chance.

Apparently Calgary is interested, I would do Valimaki straight up (they won't) but Andersson and a 2nd makes sense to me.

Not sure what LA would give up.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Hoffman is a great fit with Duchene (has a notoriously difficult time finding chemistry) and is Ottawa’s second best winger, a team that isn’t flush with amazing wingers. Operating on a 68-70 million dollar cap and assuming they actually are going to sign Karlsson. You would have (estimated) Karlsson at 11, Ryan at 7.5, Gaborik at 4.875 (if not bought out), Hoffman at 5.187, Duchene/Stone at 8, Anderson at 4.750, and Ceci at 5. That’s nearly 55 million spent on 8 players on what could be a cap as low as 68 million.

There’s a reason Hoffman is on the block, and it’s not because he’s a poor fit or that Ottawa doesn’t need him. Look for Elc’s or draft picks to be the return.

This isnt true but once he is traded it will be crystal clear.

Hoffman for 10th overall with the Oilers dumping a little bit of salary (not lucic and not as much as Hoffman makes).

hahahahahaha

If it isn’t true then how do you explain what I wrote above? How would you get the cap to work out? It doesn’t make sense to trade Hoffman from a hockey perspective, and even if it did the dollars don’t make sense if you wanted a Klefbom (or another dman with a non-elc salary) for him.

If Karlsson is retained, it won’t just be Hoffman going for futures, I would imagine Hoffman + 2 of Ceci/Pageau/Smith need to be traded at a minimum to operate under a 68-70 million dollar budget.

Godfather

Feb 13, 2004
My guess is Hoffman ends up on the blues roster on draft day for the Winnipeg first, Thompson, and sobotka or berglund.

I like that offer minus Thompson. I don't feel any of the big prospects will be part of it. Perhaps Schmaltz, Vanelli, Musil, etc.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
IS that for Hoffman?
Should have clarified - we would be looking for one or at most two of those pieces for Hoffman. Not all of them.

The thing with Calgary is what do you offer? You have no 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 5th in this draft.

You could offer your 2019 1st but the issue is if you do that then you have no 1st, 2nd or 6th in the next draft

The flames prospect capital is drained right now.

Honestly, no clue. I think the Sens would be happy with 1st next year but Flames shouldn't be trading picks.

I've bandied around the idea of Bennett but his value is so hard to gauge. As a Sens fan, Bennett would not be something I'd be happy with as a return but who knows if that is well-founded.

Their DMen are appealing... Andersson, Dube and Fox are all interesting prospect but still, I agree, its hard to see what the trade would be with Calgary.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

Bobby Ryan is one of the worst contracts in the league. Arguably the worst. You're not getting rid of him, unless you're taking back lucic or something. Even then you'd have to add to get rid of him.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Just read that 28 year old Mike Hoffman will be gone in a few weeks. He can help a close team with his goal scoring and low salary,

So where and for what?

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Well if pacioretty is worth nothing so is hoffmann amirite

3rd and c prospect becausethe sens "have to get rid of him"

amirite

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad