Dreger: Will be very surprised if Hoffman is not dealt at the draft; Karlsson trade far less likely.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

- Sens have no interest in trading Karlsson, will only do it if they have to.
- Hoffman far more likely to be dealt than Karlsson.
- Interest has been significant, consistently, since the start of 2018.
- Dreger says he knows for a fact that Dorion has been getting "a ton of interest" regarding Hoffman and that he believes a team will "absolutely" step up and pay a large price.
- Ask for Hoffman was multiple pieces, Sens value him highly.
- Projected increase in the cap will make it so that more teams can get into the bidding.
- Dorion will do everything he can to sign Karlsson.
- He believes that we will receive extremely tempting offers on Karlsson, offers that make organizational sense.

I suspect the Sens are looking for a top 4 D, a 1st rounder, top prospects, and/or young forwards.

Edit- via Lebrun (the Athletic)

Los Angeles and Calgary are among the teams that spoke to Ottawa about Hoffman before the trade deadline this season, which doesn’t necessarily mean they will again. But it’s worth remembering that.

Last edited:

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Can’t tell if this is smart management or the Sens putting a PR spin on trading Karlsson and being like “see, we said we would only do it if we had to”

Meanwhile they created the necessity themselves by making Karlsson now demand to be traded after how he’s been treated and how the team isn’t set up to win now or in the future (both from a talent and cap perspective). All while being too expensive for Eugene to sign anyways

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Sens should value him highly. Great sniper and has a good cap hit aswell which makes is stupid trading him unless they really wanna move $ because Melnyk...
Stone will get paid alot, if Karlsson re-signs he is obviously getting tons of money. Might not be that stupid if they wanna have a transition year and get their prospects (Chabot, Brown, White etc) into the league and try to contend in 2019-2020 season and on. But that only works if Karlsson signs a new contract...
They should move Ceci though, no way he will be worth the money he is going to get if he signs a longterm contract.

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
My guess is Hoffman ends up on the blues roster on draft day for the Winnipeg first, Thompson, and sobotka or berglund.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Dreger commenting on the Sens is usually a double edged sword. On the one hand he most definitely has sources within the Senators organization, I’d probably say that the Senators are the team he’s most connected to actually. On the other hand it’s always positive comments. Dreger/Dorion is like the new Dreger/Nonis. Sometimes it feels more like Dorion gives him a script to say rather than insider knowledge. It’s never, “Hoffman is getting traded and the Sens will take what they can get”, it’s always “Hoffman is getting traded for a big haul and many teams are extremely interested”. It’s never, “Karlsson is definitely on the block and will get traded due to Melnyks financial situation”, it’s always, “Karlsson will get massive offers that make organizational sense and might get the Sens to consider it, even though they aren’t actively shopping him”. He says this even though it’s public knowledge the Sens were moments away from trading EK a couple of months ago. I don’t know I just think it’s important to remember with Dreger that when it comes to Ottawa, he’s always going to spin it in a positive light for them. I think it’s a don’t bite the hand that feeds you sort of a situation for him.

Reactions: Darth Bangkok

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
My guess is Hoffman ends up on the blues roster on draft day for the Winnipeg first, Thompson, and sobotka or berglund.

That'll actually be a solid trade for the Sens especially if one of Bokk/Kaut is still on board.

If the Sens can come out of the draft with:

Dobson/Boqvist/Wahlstrom/Hughes/Bouchard, Kupari/Woo/Thomas/Kaut/Bokk, Bokk/Kaut/Lundkvist, that'll be a great draft even if their 2019 1st rounder is high.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The Mike Hoffman trade rumours are back in full swing, picking up from where they were most of this past season. Except this time, there seems to be more bite to it. My TSN colleague Darren Dreger reported on Insider Trading Wednesday that the expectation is that the goal-scoring winger will indeed be dealt and likely at or around the draft, the Senators getting lots of interest in him and looking for multiple pieces in return.

lebrun confirms

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
If Ottawa makes no roster moves this off-season, I think they will slide back into bubble team position.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Well we already know Karlsson won't get traded before July 1st because Dorion said they will give him an offer.

Last edited:

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Dreger commenting on the Sens is usually a double edged sword. On the one hand he most definitely has sources within the Senators organization, I’d probably say that the Senators are the team he’s most connected to actually. On the other hand it’s always positive comments. Dreger/Dorion is like the new Dreger/Nonis. Sometimes it feels more like Dorion gives him a script to say rather than insider knowledge. It’s never, “Hoffman is getting traded and the Sens will take what they can get”, it’s always “Hoffman is getting traded for a big haul and many teams are extremely interested”. It’s never, “Karlsson is definitely on the block and will get traded due to Melnyks financial situation”, it’s always, “Karlsson will get massive offers that make organizational sense and might get the Sens to consider it, even though they aren’t actively shopping him”. He says this even though it’s public knowledge the Sens were moments away from trading EK a couple of months ago. I don’t know I just think it’s important to remember with Dreger that when it comes to Ottawa, he’s always going to spin it in a positive light for them. I think it’s a don’t bite the hand that feeds you sort of a situation for him.

Dreger just trolls the Sens fanbase, I don't see it in a positive way at all, he just stirs stuff up for the sake of getting hits or piggybacks someone else's idea, it's annoying.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Karlsson trade was never going to be a draft day trade IMO. If it happens it will happen in the summer. Gives Dorion and Melnyk the perfect opportunity to play the victim card and claim they offered Karlsson a "Fair" deal and he said no to it. I cant imagine a scenario where Karlsson stays under Melnyk. If the team is being sold it needs to happen asap before they lose the most valuable asset the franchise has.

As a hockey fan, Karlsson belongs in Ottawa and Ottawa deserves Karlsson. The Melnyk out needs to happen very soon.

As an Avs fan, I hope Melnyk continues to be a tool for 1 more year, long enough to move Karlsson and the Sens to finish bottom 3 again next season.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Can’t tell if this is smart management or the Sens putting a PR spin on trading Karlsson and being like “see, we said we would only do it if we had to”

Meanwhile they created the necessity themselves by making Karlsson now demand to be traded after how he’s been treated and how the team isn’t set up to win now or in the future (both from a talent and cap perspective). All while being too expensive for Eugene to sign anyways

When did Karlsson request a trade?

Most smart Sens fans saw this coming a mile away: Hoffman is a hot commodity and we probably can't afford to keep everyone since we have to sign Karlsson, Duchene, Stone and Ceci.

Keep dreaming.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Some players we have been discussing on the Sens board...

Klefbom
Nurse
Brodie
Hamilton
Muzzin
Forbort

Reactions: thadd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad