Will anyone not named Ovechkin score 50+ in the next 3 years?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Outside of the obvious guys, Laine has a chance in a few years. He has the shot and a good supporting cast to do so. I can see him being like OV and Stamkos where they setup on their off wing on the PP in the circle and just bearing the goalie with pure power on the one timer. It's unlikely but possible.

a587b

May 23, 2016
Are we talking sakic or naslund type of release on his shot? I don't recall his shot being on their level.

To score against goalies today, your shot has to be a weapon. Either with power or the quickness of the releasr, but you still need to get something on it. Connor doesn't generate the necessary power to do that.

As for stick handling, I wouldn't use that as a huge factor to score a tonne of goals. That's going to help him notch assists. Hard to stick handle through a defenseman then find the opening in the goalie right afterwards. Plus, he is going to be drawing the best defenders and those are not the guys who go fishing for a puck.

Stickhandlng doesn't help to score goals? Jagr? Bure? Lemieux? Gretzky? Yzerman? Crosby?

If you're a Hawks fan you've watched Kane; he scored 46 last year. His shot was considered similar to McDavid's coming out of the OHL-- fine accuracy but not a lot of power. He worked on it. Kane played every game as a rookie and scored 21; McDavid's pace was 29. So I don't see why a 50-goal season at some point would be a huge stretch for McDavid.

Ryan Smyth scored 39 and 36 and a couple of 31's with a shot that might not have broken a pane of glass. (Couldn't skate, either. Or stickhandle, come to think of it.) Some guys just know how to play hockey. Connor McDavid is miles above Ryan Smyth in talent and he knows how to play hockey, too.

a587b

May 23, 2016
Outside of the obvious guys, Laine has a chance in a few years. He has the shot and a good supporting cast to do so. I can see him being like OV and Stamkos where they setup on their off wing on the PP in the circle and just bearing the goalie with pure power on the one timer. It's unlikely but possible.

Laine shoots the puck as well as any 18 year old that I've ever seen so if the rest of his game comes together as expected he's got a chance at some point.

Eichel can really shoot and has a very well-rounded offensive skill set so he's another candidate. Scored some beauties last season.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Stickhandlng doesn't help to score goals? Jagr? Bure? Lemieux? Gretzky? Yzerman? Crosby?

If you're a Hawks fan you've watched Kane; he scored 46 last year. His shot was considered similar to McDavid's coming out of the OHL-- fine accuracy but not a lot of power. He worked on it. Kane played every game as a rookie and scored 21; McDavid's pace was 29. So I don't see why a 50-goal season at some point would be a huge stretch for McDavid.

Ryan Smyth scored 39 and 36 and a couple of 31's with a shot that might not have broken a pane of glass. (Couldn't skate, either. Or stickhandle, come to think of it.) Some guys just know how to play hockey. Connor McDavid is miles above Ryan Smyth in talent and he knows how to play hockey, too.

Let me clarify my comments.

First, I'm taking into consideration today's NHL game. It's hard to score goals, let alone 50. Which is why only Ovy and Stammer have netted 50 in the past few seasons. It's more than simply a skill set that one needs to possess, it's also a mindset. Ovy loves to score goals, Stammer as well.

Goalies are better than they have ever been in the past. Goalies don't give you much of the net to shoot at and it's hard to get the puck up in tight to the net when they are down in the butterfly.

I don't believe based on these and other factors that Connor is likely to become the next great 50 goal man. He may get a season of 50, like Crosby's 1 in his 11 year career. But, will be do it multiple times like Ovy? No, I don't see it. It's not his game.

46 is a career high for Kane. Early in his career, I recall either McGuire or McKenzie say that Kane was quite possibly the best half wall player in the league. That's based on his ability to both pass and shoot the puck. Otherwise, he'd be like Thornton and Henrik Sedin who are 1 goal per 4 assists type guys. Kane has both the shoot and pass option which keeps the goalie honest. Do I see him getting 50? He may have to given the scoring depth Chicago has had to sacrifice to remain under the cap. Plus, at around the 30 game mark this past season, he was up to something like 45 or more points, on pace for close to 125 I believe, yet finished the year with 106 points, which was great. 82 games is a grind. That's why it wasn't surprising to see Kane fall off that 125 point pace he set in the first third of the season.

But, players today, it's about winning more than it is about big personal stats. You don't see Crosby going on a tear trying to get back into the scoring race. He's going to play his game because it's about team success in the playoffs for him.

I think McDavid will develop that as well. He knows he will be judged on winning Cups, not how many 50 goal seasons he can put up.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
who the **** is Laine? his name keeps popping in all these "best" threads, yet he hasn't played one damn game in the NHL...

on-topic, probably.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It's not preordained that a player will score 50. Sometimes it happens, more often it doesn't.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Kane, Tarasenko, Benn or Stamkos are my candidates. I'm not holding my breath, tho.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Odds are against any 50 goal season. Ov beats the odds but he is,scoring 50 in a league where 40 is elite.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
who the **** is Laine? his name keeps popping in all these "best" threads, yet he hasn't played one damn game in the NHL...

on-topic, probably.

We are predicting the next 3 years so who cares how many games he has played? It's obvious some think he can go in and score right away.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
In the last 3 seasons only Ovi has accomplished it and only Kane, Perry, Stammer, Benn, Pavelski and Tarasenko have hit the 40+ mark.
I think Benn, Seguin, Kane and Tarasenko could maybe do it. McDavid, Laine, Eichel and Matthews are probably outside bets so far. Until they prove more.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
I don't know why everyone is discounting Laine. He has a shot that's comparable to OV's and much better playmakers than OV had coming into the league, and OV scored 50 in his first year as well as two of his first three years. Of course, OV was a much better player coming into the league than Laine is, and he was helped by the post-lockout scoring inflation, but even so, I don't think it's unfathomable that Laine will do it. I think he'll get there before his first three years are up.

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
Umm, do you know who Laine is? Top line in the worlds, MVP of that tournament before the draft? I expect a Selanne type rookie season and anything less is a disappointment.

Do you? Did you actually watch him play during the tournament, or just read the stats after the tournament. He did absolutely nothing against better opponents and right now he's still to show that he can even compete for a roster spot, nevermind compete for calder and pretty much the best rookie season in over 2 decades (that's what 50 goal season would be).

Sure he has great potential, sure he has a great cannon of a shot, but you know what else he has? Stuff to learn, tons of it.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
76 goals would be nigh impossible in this era. Anyone expecting that is trolling hard.

A 50 goal season in today's environment would be more impressive than Selanne's 76 goal rookie season back in 92/93. In 92/93, there were 10+ players with more than 54 goals, and 10+ players with more than 123 points.

My point is that 50 goals in today's environment is RIDICULOUSLY impressive!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad