Will anyone not named Ovechkin score 50+ in the next 3 years?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Probably. From 2010-12, e.g., gpg was 0.02 higher than today, and Crosby, Stamkos, Perry, Malkin, Ovechkin all hit the mark. It's not that hard to hit 50 at these scoring levels. I think the aberration is the last three years.

Just IMO - but power play opportunities per game were significantly higher then, so the star offensive players got more prime scoring icetime. With less special teams, that icetime is getting more evenly distributed and even if the total icetime is similar the elite players have less opportunity to score than they did then.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'll go with someone no one has mentioned yet, and say Eberle.

Beyond the fact he's going to line up for every shift with either McDavid, RNH or Draisaitl, he doesn't really have any competition on the Oiler's in terms of RH shots taking his looks on the PP (Versteeg and a rookie Puljujarvi). Plus with Hall moving out and the LW side becoming more grind-y/doing more dirty work (Lucic/Maroon), that means he will be even more featured in the teams attack.

The biggest thing against him though is Eberle has never been a volume shooter. So I can't see him getting up to the 300+ shots needed.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'll go with someone no one has mentioned yet, and say Eberle.

Beyond the fact he's going to line up for every shift with either McDavid, RNH or Draisaitl, he doesn't really have any competition on the Oiler's in terms of RH shots taking his looks on the PP (Versteeg and a rookie Puljujarvi). Plus with Hall moving out and the LW side becoming more grind-y/doing more dirty work (Lucic/Maroon), that means he will be even more featured in the teams attack.

The biggest thing against him though is Eberle has never been a volume shooter. So I can't see him getting up to the 300+ shots needed.

He had 25 goals last year. He's going to double his goal output all of a sudden? :huh:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He had 25 goals last year. He's going to double his goal output all of a sudden? :huh:

With Eberle he was more or less useless the first couple months after coming back from his pre-season shoulder injury, however after he was played with McDavid for the final ~30 games of the season, he was producing at (or near) a 0.5 goal/game pace, and that was with them not clicking fully/seeming a little off.

Honestly I'm excepting (if it's a good season for him) Eberle to be in and around 40. However the conditions do exist for him to go off in Edmonton, and he does have the shot/talent to do it.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
With Eberle he was more or less useless the first couple months after coming back from his pre-season shoulder injury, however after he was played with McDavid for the final ~30 games of the season, he was producing at (or near) a 0.5 goal/game pace.

Honestly I'm excepting (if it's a good season for him) Eberle to be in and around 40. However the conditions do exist for him to go off in Edmonton, and he does have the shot/talent to do it.

I think you're overestimating Eberle. It takes a lot of things to score 50 goals, even for a guy like Ovechkin. A little cold streak and Ovi was off the pace, despite having a stretch in which he scored 20 goals in 20 games. It took a hat trick in the second to last game of the season for Ovi to reach 50 again.

Not saying Eberle isn't a talented goalscorer, I'm saying that scoring 50 is difficult for a generational goalscorer who is surrounded by a President's trophy winning team.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
I think there's a handful of guys who have an outside shot, them being Crosby, Stamkos, Kane, Benn and Tarasenko. Even then, I think you need a pretty significant uptick in penalties being called for it to happen to more than one of them.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
No one would have thought Crosby would ever score 50 after his first 4 seasons but he did it. Sometimes guys surprise you. He could do it again, though it's unlikely. Same for McDavid. Doesn't appear to be that player right now but he's so skilled that I could see him coming back after an offseason with a new ability to score at high rates.

My best bet is still Laine, but I'll say Stamkos, Tarasenko, Crosby, McDavid, Pavelski could do it.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I think there's a handful of guys who have an outside shot, them being Crosby, Stamkos, Kane, Benn and Tarasenko. Even then, I think you need a pretty significant uptick in penalties being called for it to happen to more than one of them.

Yeah I forgot Benn. I'd add Seguin. That guy can score at will. I think he'll win an Art Ross or two before he's done.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Potentially Benn, Tarasenko and even Stamkos (if he can patch things up).

I might add Laine being the wildcard on his third year, but that may be too soon.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
I wouldn't rule out Galchenyuk so quickly. He is after all only 22 and has improved every season. As a center I would be surprised if he ever hits 50 g but as a winger with a top tier center, I could beleive it.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I think out of the current players in the league, McDavid is the only guy who I think has the potential to, maybe Stamkos if he gets a playmaker to feed him.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
No way kane hits 50. This is his first year he scored more than 30.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
No one would have thought Crosby would ever score 50 after his first 4 seasons but he did it. Sometimes guys surprise you. He could do it again, though it's unlikely. Same for McDavid. Doesn't appear to be that player right now but he's so skilled that I could see him coming back after an offseason with a new ability to score at high rates.

My best bet is still Laine, but I'll say Stamkos, Tarasenko, Crosby, McDavid, Pavelski could do it.

Well that's just a load of BS. There were a lot of guys on this very forum saying that Crosby will score 150+ points in his career after his sophomore season. If anything, most would have said Crosby is bond to score 50+ after his 2nd season in the NHL.

a587b

May 23, 2016
Well, considering Crosby has only scored more than 39 goals ONCE in his career, I could easily see McD never doing it. Crosby has a much better shot arsenal than McD does.

The season after he scored 51 goals, Crosby had already potted 32 in the first 41 games but concussion issues ended his season at that point.

McDavid doesn't have a super powerful shot but it's very accurate and he gets it away quickly. Plus he is such a wizard with his skating, puckhandling and dekes that he will score plenty of goals without needing a laser-like shot.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Other than Tarasenko probably not.

And being a Pens fan the few that have said Crosby is awesome... But I doubt that...

If he did it I honestly wouldn't be surprised, because well... He is Sidney ****ing Crosby... But I HIGHLY doubt it.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I think Stamkos will and with Ovechkin hitting his early 30's he might take a Rocket trophy or two away from #8...but we'll see. I have always been a curious observer of how Ovechkin ages. Big fan and the guy is in shape, but in shape because of his natural super human body. I want to see if he has the drive to put in the work as he ages to stay on his game. He loves breaking records and still has a legit chance to catch some pretty high end people on the all time list, especially if he continues to keep his body is shape. Time will tell I suppose. :)

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Maybe Kane. Tarasenko if he got really hot possibly could. I wouldn't bet on anyone making it for certain. I don't see any of the really young guns scoring 50. The really fun stat is that Ovy still averages more than 50 a year.

I think if Ovy does the work to stay in shape as others have mentioned he could have another 2 or 3 50 goals seasons left in him.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
The season after he scored 51 goals, Crosby had already potted 32 in the first 41 games but concussion issues ended his season at that point.

McDavid doesn't have a super powerful shot but it's very accurate and he gets it away quickly. Plus he is such a wizard with his skating, puckhandling and dekes that he will score plenty of goals without needing a laser-like shot.

Are we talking sakic or naslund type of release on his shot? I don't recall his shot being on their level.

To score against goalies today, your shot has to be a weapon. Either with power or the quickness of the releasr, but you still need to get something on it. Connor doesn't generate the necessary power to do that.

As for stick handling, I wouldn't use that as a huge factor to score a tonne of goals. That's going to help him notch assists. Hard to stick handle through a defenseman then find the opening in the goalie right afterwards. Plus, he is going to be drawing the best defenders and those are not the guys who go fishing for a puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad