Will anyone not named Ovechkin score 50+ in the next 3 years?

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Tarasenko? Seguin? Kane? will anyone not named Ovi score 50 before the end of the 2019-20 season?

I'd say Tarasenko could, I think he's for sure the second best sniper in the league. Correct me if I'm wrong but he scored 40 under less beneficial circumstances (aka system and linemates) than other 40+ scorers.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Someone will. But there won't be anyone who scores 50 or more goals in three consecutive seasons in a long time. Unless scoring levels change.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Never say never, but I doubt it.

2dklh08.png

I wouldn't be surprised if we have seen the last of Ovechkin's 50 goal seasons. It's why I was rooting hard for him last season, I kept thinking this may be his last shot.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
It's crazy if Stamkos ends up only having two 50+ goal season in his career. When he was coming off from his 60 goal season, there was a lot of talk about him being possibly better goal-scorer than Ovechkin. Funny how things turned out.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I think Galchenyuk has a shot. He really perfected his 1-timer at the top of the right face off circle, he's bringing it to Stamkos-Ovechkin like levels. He got 30 last year but only really started dialing in that 1-timer on the PP in the 2nd half. He'll get close to 20 PPG this year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yeah I don't think Stamkos is done yet either. He's young, and his level of compete is very very big, I believe he has it in him to score a lot again.

McDavid? To what extent does he score a lot of goals vs rack up assists? Even Crosby at his best only hit 50 goals once i believe right? Odds are with no injuries he might have done it at least a 2nd time, but he's far from a usual 50 goal scorer. Is McDavid similar in that way? Or can we expect him to score more goals?

I'm saying yes to the question though. Someone other than Ovi 100% will score 50+, and possibly a few players.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Nope.

Patrick Kane and Steven Stamkos have outside chance but i just don't see it happening.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I think Stamkos and Drouin are going to click here very soon while Drouin settles in and Stamkos gets some consistency back. He'll have at least one more 50G season.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah I don't think Stamkos is done yet either. He's young, and his level of compete is very very big, I believe he has it in him to score a lot again.

McDavid? To what extent does he score a lot of goals vs rack up assists? Even Crosby at his best only hit 50 goals once i believe right? Odds are with no injuries he might have done it at least a 2nd time, but he's far from a usual 50 goal scorer. Is McDavid similar in that way? Or can we expect him to score more goals?

I'm saying yes to the question though. Someone other than Ovi 100% will score 50+, and possibly a few players.

Stamkos needs two things to get back within 50 goal territory.
1. He needs MSL or a similar playmaker next to him. Perhaps Drouin can be that player.
2. He needs to compensate for the speed and explosivity he lost after his leg injury.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's crazy if Stamkos ends up only having two 50+ goal season in his career. When he was coming off from his 60 goal season, there was a lot of talk about him being possibly better goal-scorer than Ovechkin. Funny how things turned out.

Very "funny". He had 14 goals in 17 games to begin the 2013-2014 season until he broke his leg.

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006
I think Galchenyuk has a shot. He really perfected his 1-timer at the top of the right face off circle, he's bringing it to Stamkos-Ovechkin like levels. He got 30 last year but only really started dialing in that 1-timer on the PP in the 2nd half. He'll get close to 20 PPG this year.

Never say never, but I can't see Galchenyuk scoring 50 goals. He had a hot goal scoring streak, but plenty of players have had those before and never came close to scoring 50 goals.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Way to take things out of perspective.

Tarasenko and Benn could potentally hit the 50 goal mark in a super season.

Out of perspective? He was on pace for 50 goals in 2013-2014 by the end even after his lower performance after return. He was on pace for 50 goals in the shortened 2012-2013 season as well.

I remember watching the stats closely that season and Stamkos was leading in goals with 14 scored for quite a while even after his injury.

I for one think that we might have been robbed of some of the most impressive goal-scoring we have recently seen(Even rivaling or surpassing Ovechkin) by that injury and I think that calling it "funny" is not very appropriate.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Seems legit. He did, after all, just break 50 pts for the first time in his career, so it's a short step up to 50 goals.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Out of perspective? He was on pace for 50 goals in 2013-2014 by the end even after his lower performance performance after return. He was on pace for 50 goals in the shortened 2012-2013 season as well.

I remember watching the stats closely that season and Stamkos was leading in goals with 14 scored for quite a while even after his injury.

That's why I said it's weird that Stamkos might end up with only two 50 goal seasons. You are the one making gross references to me somehow thinking his injury was funny.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Out of perspective? He was on pace for 50 goals in 2013-2014 by the end even after his lower performance after return. He was on pace for 50 goals in the shortened 2012-2013 season as well.

I for one think that we might have been robbed of some of the most impressive goal-scoring we have recently seen(Even rivaling or surpassing Ovechkin) by that injury and I think that calling it "funny" is not very appropriate.

That's not true. IIRC OV had hit 30 before the New Year that season. He started off absolutely on fire. And I believe it was by mid-November that he passed Steen for the league lead in goals and never looked back.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Out of perspective? He was on pace for 50 goals in 2013-2014 by the end even after his lower performance performance after return. He was on pace for 50 goals in the shortened 2012-2013 season as well.

You took it out of perspective with the entire injury issue is what I mean. Nobody is saying his injury is funny, its a remark that you took the wrong way.

This isn't the first time we've seen hot streaks for scorers also. You can pro-rate all you want, but the fact is that health and shortened seasons play into the end result, he didn't score 50.

Also that leg injury combined with no longer have MSL have dampened his ability to score. He still has that great shot of his but you can't deny that the situation has changed dramatically in where he is able to get 50+ goals again.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
That's not true. IIRC OV had hit 30 before the New Year that season. He started off absolutely on fire. And I believe it was by mid-November that he passed Steen for the league lead in goals and never looked back.

Yep, it's one of the rare season where Ovechkin was on fire at the start rather than January-February-March. He was on pace for 65 or something ridiculous like that. Then, he cooled down and as a result the Caps missed the playoffs.

Evergreen

He wasn't calling the injury funny. Stop acting so self-righteous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad