Will anyone be able to stop the Knights in the playoffs?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sure looking like the Knights will have to beat the Oilers to get through round one.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
It wouldn’t be surprising to see any of Dallas, Colorado, Edmonton or Vegas come out of the West. Hell Winnipeg and Vancouver aren’t even very dark horses. Vegas has meandered a lot in this second half and there are no guarantees what versions of Adin Hill, Tomas Hertl, and Mark Stone they are going to get when the time comes. It wouldn’t even be a surprise if they get knocked out in the first round. They are a battle-hardened and talented bunch, so I wouldn’t bet against them, but the West is murderous this year and it won’t be a cakewalk.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Oilers vs Vegas.
Oilers playing with the dead cap of Campbell, and part of the Nurse and Kane contracts vs Vegas having great contracts plus the excess cap of players returning from LTIR. It’s hard for McDrai to close that gap even if they go supernova again these playoffs.
Got to take Vegas. Skinner’s meltdown in last year’s playoffs is also a concern. He really needs to take a big step this year for the Oilers to have a chance.
The Oilers record against playoff teams is also concerning.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Oilers vs Vegas.
Oilers playing with the dead cap of Campbell, and part of the Nurse and Kane contracts vs Vegas having great contracts plus the excess cap of players returning from LTIR. It’s hard for McDrai to close that gap even if they go supernova again these playoffs.
Got to take Vegas. Skinner’s meltdown in last year’s playoffs is also a concern. He really needs to take a big step this year for the Oilers to have a chance.
All true.. BUT Oil management learned from last year's mistakes and upgraded our D by ... oh wait, no we're going with the same D core.

But don't worry, if Skinner falters then we have... oh f***.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Generally speaking, there are a cluster of teams in both conferences that have legit Cup chances. Shaping up to be one helluva playoffs.

Avs, Stars, Oil, Knights, and even the Canucks and Jets in the West.

Canes, B’s, Rags, Panthers, and my dark horse, the Bolts in the East.

That’s a ton of talent, only one team wins the Cup. Bring it on!

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Avs
Stars
Knights

Pick your poison really. All 3 teams are extremely deep, and built for playoff hockey. I'd put big money down on it being one of those 3 that comes out of the West.

Reactions: piqued

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Oilers vs Vegas.
Thing is, the Oilers are 8-3-1 against the current (and most likely) Western Conference playoff teams since Knoblach took over, so it seems that is a bit exaggerated. They are 12-6-1 against the Eastern teams that are currently in or are fighting for the wildcard (DET, WSH, PIT).

I’m hopeful that Skinner has matured since last year as well (his rookie year).
He’s 32-9-4 with a 2.42 GA/G and a .915 SV%

Not saying it’s an automatic, but I expect the Oilers to be a tough opponent for anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckG

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Thing is, the Oilers are 8-3-1 against the current (and most likely) Western Conference playoff teams since Knoblach took over, so it seems that is a bit exaggerated.

I’m hopeful that Skinner has matured since last year as well (his rookie year).
He’s 32-9-4 with a 2.42 GA/G and a .915 SV%

Not saying it’s an automatic, but I expect the Oilers to be a tough opponent for anyone.
I think the Oilers will be a tough out too. But it’s hard to pick them over a healthy Vegas.

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I think the Oilers will be a tough out too. But it’s hard to pick them over a healthy Vegas.
For sure. Especially the way Vegas play. They are the best team in the league at playing their system disciplined and consistently. To have a chance you have to get up on them early and force them to adjust. If you can’t, they’ll dictate the game and you usually end up beating yourself when they capitalize on one or two mistakes.

The LTIR thing might, however, not be the huge advantage everyone believes it is. Hertl is a good player, but hasn’t played a minute for them. He might need a period of time to adjust. Stone isn’t guaranteed to be 100% when he gets back and will need a couple of games to get back to full game speed as well.

Honestly, I really only believe one thing to be a guarantee this year. The West will be an absolute bloodbath.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
For sure. Especially the way Vegas play. They are the best team in the league at playing their system disciplined and consistently. To have a chance you have to get up on them early and force them to adjust. If you can’t, they’ll dictate the game and you usually end up beating yourself when they capitalize on one or two mistakes.

The LTIR thing might, however, not be the huge advantage everyone believes it is. Hertl is a good player, but hasn’t played a minute for them. He might need a period of time to adjust. Stone isn’t guaranteed to be 100% when he gets back and will need a couple of games to get back to full game speed as well.

Honestly, I really only believe one thing to be a guarantee this year. The West will be an absolute bloodbath.
The fact no one wants to play anyone else is such a big sign,,,, LA would probably at least be considered the closest by many (possibly Vancouver just on them not having reached the playoffs for a few years), but I don;t think there is a real clear "weak" team, I could see all teams winning and losing against each other.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
The fact no one wants to play anyone else is such a big sign,,,, LA would probably at least be considered the closest by many (possibly Vancouver just on them not having reached the playoffs for a few years), but I don;t think there is a real clear "weak" team, I could see all teams winning and losing against each other.
The stretch also seems to be good preparation for most teams as well. I know the Oilers play some huge games to get ready (COL twice, VGK and VAN) and get some weaker opponents (ARI twice, SJ).

I was a bit worried about Calgary and their tendency to take cheap liberties, but with their rat Posposil likely gone, it’s a little less worrisome.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

That is for sure. The Canucks may end up playing Nashville and that team has been red hot. There’s a couple of meh teams in the East but really none in the West. Most series will be close to coin flips.
The one team I’d really want to avoid is Vegas. Just such a stacked team imo.

Reactions: hangman005

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
The stretch also seems to be good preparation for most teams as well. I know the Oilers play some huge games to get ready (COL twice, VGK and VAN) and get some weaker opponents (ARI twice, SJ).

I was a bit worried about Calgary and their tendency to take cheap liberties, but with their rat Posposil likely gone, it’s a little less worrisome.
We are pretty similar, though through the stretch we play Van twice (one more to go after last game) Then 4 very winnable games with the Yotes, Ducks, Wild and Blackhawks

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
That is for sure. The Canucks may end up playing Nashville and that team has been red hot. There’s a couple of meh teams in the East but really none in the West. Most series will be close to coin flips.
The one team I’d really want to avoid is Vegas. Just such a stacked team imo.
This

I do not consider any team in the West as an easy team.

You have to give COL and VEG odds though as they are cup champs and battle tested. Those 2 I would not want to face

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
I'm torn because on one hand I'd rather avoid playing vegas round 1

On the other hand if I have to vs them at some point, I'd rather it be round 1 before they get healthy, and find chemistry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad