Wildcard race discussion

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Even if they lose, we still need 3 more points than them in the remaining games, since they have the tie breaker.

If they somehow wins this, it's basically over.

Yes, but after tonight don't the yotes have one game in hand?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Spoken like someone who hasn't watched Eastern Conference hockey in a while.

I mean the only playoff teams I can think of in the last 3 years that are worse than us right now are the 2012 Panthers, last year's Islanders and maybe the 2011 Rangers. We would certainly be close the single worst playoff team in the west within the last 3 years.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona

Jackets. Not sure how you missed that one...

I have a feeling this is coming down to the last game of the year. If we win in Nashville tomorrow were all tied, aside from the ROW. However, you lose tomorrow were out. Imagine if our fate was put on ot in a shootout in glendale against dallas.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I mean the only playoff teams I can think of in the last 3 years that are worse than us right now are the 2012 Panthers, last year's Islanders and maybe the 2011 Rangers. We would certainly be close the single worst playoff team in the west within the last 3 years.

I remember when the Cardinals were called the worst playoff team a few years ago... ended up in the Superbowl.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Yes, but after tonight don't the yotes have one game in hand?

Yes, we basically need one more point the next two games than they get in the next game, in order for the last game of the season to matter. They have the tie breaker. If we get the same number of points before facing off with Dallas, we would be mathematically out already. To get in, we basically need 3 more points than them. And the game against SJ will not be easy.

Dallas has played well against StL, and StL has played like crap lately, so we can't count on that as a loss for them. So basically every game is a must win for us now.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

I have a feeling this is coming down to the last game of the year. If we win in Nashville tomorrow were all tied, aside from the ROW. However, you lose tomorrow were out. Imagine if our fate was put on ot in a shootout in glendale against dallas.

We're not necessarily out if we lose tomorrow. However it puts us in a strangle hold. We would then have to beat the sharks and the stars would need to lose to St. Louis. Then we would need to beat Dallas to get in. Not a scenario we want though so let's just beat Nashville tomorrow

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
We're not necessarily out if we lose tomorrow. However it puts us in a strangle hold. We would then have to beat the sharks and the stars would need to lose to St. Louis. Then we would need to beat Dallas to get in. Not a scenario we want though so let's just beat Nashville tomorrow

If the Sharks lose tonight, they can't catch the Ducks. They play the Avalanche Friday night, so the game against us is their last of the season. Would you envision them sitting some of their big guns to rest up for the start of the playoffs?

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If the Sharks lose tonight, they can't catch the Ducks. They play the Avalanche Friday night, so the game against us is their last of the season. Would you envision them sitting some of their big guns to rest up for the start of the playoffs?

If they are out of the division race I think they would rest their guys but I'm not gonna bank on that. We just need a push these last three.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Because you just made that nickname up and no one has ever used it before? Haha! :)

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Blues are 2-3-0 in April and are currently on a 3 game losing streak.

Dallas is 3-3-0 in April. They have been winning every other game. They lost their last one, so if they keep the pattern going, it is over.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
McMillan-McMillan-McMillan
McMillan

OEL-OEL
OEL-OEL
OEL-OEL
OEL

Smith
Greiss

...would've won more games.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Three scenarios for tonight, if my math is right...

If Dallas gets 2 points: We’re eliminated. ****.

If Dallas gets 1 point: They’ll stand at 90 points, 3 points ahead of us with 1 fewer game remaining. That means we must beat both SJ and DAL, and the win over Dallas must be in regulation.

If Dallas gets 0 points: They’ll stand at 89 points, 2 points ahead of us with 1 fewer game remaining. That means we must get 3 points, so either win both remaining games, or grab a point vs. SJ and then win in regulation vs. DAL.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
Three scenarios for tonight, if my math is right...

If Dallas gets 2 points: We’re eliminated. ****.

If Dallas gets 1 point: They’ll stand at 90 points, 3 points ahead of us with 1 fewer game remaining. That means we must beat both SJ and DAL, and the win over Dallas must be in regulation.

If Dallas gets 0 points: They’ll stand at 89 points, 2 points ahead of us with 1 fewer game remaining. That means we must get 3 points, so either win both remaining games, or grab a point vs. SJ and then win in regulation vs. DAL.

Looks correct. Simply put, Coyotes need to get more points against the Sharks than the Stars get against the Blues.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
:laugh:
This one's a great story line: Get one point vs SJ and go into that last game on a 7 game losing streak, but still with one chance to beat the team you're racing to the line with.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
It's mind-blowing to see teams eliminated from the playoffs out working and out playing us.

Pathetic, this team doesn't deserve a playoff spot. Blow it up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad