Wildcard race discussion

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Here are the remaining schedules for the West's (Pacific) wildcard berth. I thought it helps to see them side by side. I'll add teams if they move closer.

Date|DAL |PHX|MIN
Pts 11 Apr |91|87|98
[pre]12 Apr Sat[/pre]||SJ |
[pre]13 Apr Sun[/pre]|@PHX|DAL |NSH

Coyotes eliminated

Last edited:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Minny has a brutal schedule coming down to the wire

I average the pts/game of the remaining teams each of Phx, Dallas & Minny play and here is what is says.

Phoenix: 1.123
Dallas: 1.136
Minny: 1.244

So Minny definitely has the harshest schedule, but they are up by enough pts I think they still get in.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
The Blues play the Wild and then Stars twice in back to back games. First time is the 27th and 28th at STL and then April 10th and 11th on the road. Hope they're still jockeying for playoff seeding the last week of the season.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
This race is getting too close for comfort. I don't like the fact that you guys and Dallas both have two games the next two nights while the Wild are idle. This is probably going to come down to the last few games of the year. The last thing we need is for you guys to catch us and make us play STL in the first round. I feel like they are going to steamroll just about everyone in the playoffs. At least if we play San Jose or Anaheim I feel like we have a decent chance in a 7 game set. Feel free to cool off in the desert any time soon, we have a gauntlet of a schedule starting after Wednesdays Vancouver game.

P.S. how huge is that game on the 29th going to be?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Thanks for the schedules side by side! If we make it in, we will be heavy underdogs. We likely will play St Louis, Anaheim, or San Jose, depending on where we seed. The predictions will be a sweep or done in 5 games. Nobody will give us a chance of winning, no way.

But, every year, and this year will be no different, more then one lower seeded team is playing well, has a hot goalie, and advances. Injuries, a team not playing well, soft goals, all can change the outcome. Smith will have to continue to play well for us to even make it in, so we have a chance to advance, if we get there.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Anaheim is the one team I'd like to avoid playing. They've had our number this year and last. At the same time, Bruce Boudreau's teams don't seem to translate well in the playoffs. I like Boudreau quite a bit, but no doubt in my mind that Tipp can outcoach him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We've been terribly out of sync all season long. Early on, the D and forward group looked great, and the goaltending shaky, but we still won games. Then the D got as shaky as the G and we lost a lot. Somewhere along the way the G began to round into form but the offense dried up big time. If we can ever get the G, the D, and the O rolling all at the same time, we will be in great shape. Easier said than done, of course. But it could happen just at the right time and we head in hot. Or not at all and we don't qualify Period.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We've been terribly out of sync all season long. Early on, the D and forward group looked great, and the goaltending shaky, but we still won games. Then the D got as shaky as the G and we lost a lot. Somewhere along the way the G began to round into form but the offense dried up big time. If we can ever get the G, the D, and the O rolling all at the same time, we will be in great shape. Easier said than done, of course. But it could happen just at the right time and we head in hot. Or not at all and we don't qualify Period.

Agreed, we might need all 3 working to just get in, or we won't make it in anyway. So, if we are in, we should be coming in hot which is where we want to be....

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

I think we'll make it in if 2 of the 3 are clicking. But one of those must be Smitty. Lest we forget Smitty essentially dragged us kicking and screaming into the 2012 playoffs and our first division title with 3 SOs in his final 5 games. Hoping he can have a similar beast mode run soon (although I'll be more than happy if he merely continues his very solid play since Feb. 1st)

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Even with Smith's injury, we still have to play the games. Because of that, you never know what may happen. Maybe the fellas will decide to pull together and play full games from here on out. Maybe we can steal a point against the Pens and Chicago can beat Dallas. Gotta have something to root for.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
After tonight, Dallas has 6 games on the road compared to 4 for the Coyotes. If Smith can be healthy and only miss the next 3 games, I have an unusually high brashness going on right now. A complete 180 from how I felt last night...assuming some points are gathered in the next 3 games.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
You know how this ends...it comes down to that game on the last day...even with the Stars on points for 8th... we score the first two goals...and...

(it's like the short story "The Lady, or The Tiger?")

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
If The Wild hold on to that 7th seed, that will be an accomplishment. They have a tough last 10 games. I could see us catching them especially if we beat them Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad