Post-Game Talk: Wild Zebras and Shaky Smith: A Hollywood Story

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
The skill of any executive leadership is to act pre-emptively, not when the cause is lost.
A playoff team does not lose the Kings.
Found a person who inputs all of their words into a thesaurus to find the one that sounds the “smartest.” Joey Tribbiani, is that you??

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This team needs to get over their press clippings after they play a great game, and come out with the work boots on every game. Until they finally learn to do that, there will be a lot more up and downs.
A bad game all around, but a few dishonorable mentions. Drai was skating in mud all night, Smith fought the puck, Bear showed some rookie mistakes, and Nuge was invisible. The others weren't much better. McDavid had some moments, but there came a time in the game when he realized that even he couldn't save this train wreck all by himself.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The issue at hand is losing to the Kings and expecting to get into the playoffs in the Pacific.

Playoff teams do not lose to a team on verge of being totally rebuilt. Even though that team still has 3 or 4 true alpha males that have always intimidated the key Oilers for years.
Vegas lost to the Oilers 3 out of 4 games including getting spanked 8-2 in 2017-18...Vegas played in the Cup final
Oilers were a lottery team

losses happen dude

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
At least Tippett has been reading Kevy999999999's posts the past few weeks:

Can see why Tippett is always well liked by his players. He doesn't pick everyone apart and proudly explain everyones individual mistakes to the media to try to make himself look good like McLellan and Hitch. His criticism is almost always generalized to the group.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Excited and stressed for the weekend back to back
Vegas/Arizona are always a battle but I believe we can win both. 3 games in 4 nights though...

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
This team needs to get over their press clippings after they play a great game, and come out with the work boots on every game. Until they finally learn to do that, there will be a lot more up and downs.
A bad game all around, but a few dishonorable mentions. Drai was skating in mud all night, Smith fought the puck, Bear showed some rookie mistakes, and Nuge was invisible. The others weren't much better. McDavid had some moments, but there came a time in the game when he realized that even he couldn't save this train wreck all by himself.
I didn't see Klefbom's post-game comments, so maybe he replied to Swe media but he said more or less this.

Klefbom (para-phrasing):
It's very easy to get caught like this and play a bad game. We played a great game vs San Jose, but maybe it was a bit too good and we got over confident. Today we forgot the most important things, which is checking and working hard. When we play the right way our best players are able to play their best game, take over and win us the game.

Maybe it was under estimating LAK, but that's odd since we've struggled in Staples Center for years. We should have been prepared. But we started off in the wrong way and gave away three goals before waking up. No excuses, we have to be ready when the puck drops. Now this will have to serve as a lesson and luckily we're playing a lot right now so we'll get the chance to show our better side very soon.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
This game just goes to show that you have to show up every night (and I know every team in the league have off nights). I never look at any team and think it will be a victory. Doesn't matter if it's the Wings or Ottawa or LA.

The league has too much talent where anybody can be beat if they are lazy. A lot of good teams have lost to "bad teams" this year.

Luckily, these guys have come to work most nights. I am scared of that Vegas game.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
this game does show that we shouldn't be too high and mighty. We are in danger of missing the playoffs. It's not likely, but we aren't a team like Washington that will sleepwalk into the playoffs and is mostly focused on their positioning.

We've got the talent, but it will be a fight all year. We are leaning on talent that was quickly slapped together in the depth, and in some rookies, and our 2nd line is very streaky and uncertain.

I am hyped for this team, and I have faith in them, but I still see the potential powerhouse as being a couple years away still.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Vegas. Book it.

giphy.gif

Sorry :) First honest thought. Also could be a reverse jinx. Good luck!

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
If I knew they were honouring Carter before the game I would have said auto-loss. It's like it's in the contract that the opposing team has to lose after raising a banner, honouring someone, coaching change.

Thought the team played well in stretches but way too many mistakes, especially in the first.

Larsson looks like he'll need some time on the bottom line to get up to game speed. Looked very rusty and slow. But glad to have him back.

If we had to lose to the bad teams but beat all the good teams, I'm good with that. The bad teams won't be in the playoffs anyway.

Need a good response in Vegas. Going to assume Smith gets the start in Vegas and Kosk in 'Zona.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This game just goes to show that you have to show up every night (and I know every team in the league have off nights). I never look at any team and think it will be a victory. Doesn't matter if it's the Wings or Ottawa or LA.

The league has too much talent where anybody can be beat if they are lazy. A lot of good teams have lost to "bad teams" this year.

Luckily, these guys have come to work most nights. I am scared of that Vegas game.
Look no further than Ottawa. With that roster one would assume that they should be looking at a historically bad season but right now they are at .500 and are one point back of the Buds with a game in hand. LA is also 7-4 at home this year though terrible on the road.

The current NHL is set up so that most teams will be at least near .500 and the way refs use game management it makes it even more likely that games will be close. Arizona does not have much talent but they can play a game that completely locks down the oppositions stars because the NHL wants that sort of parity.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
If I knew they were honouring Carter before the game I would have said auto-loss. It's like it's in the contract that the opposing team has to lose after raising a banner, honouring someone, coaching change.

Thought the team played well in stretches but way too many mistakes, especially in the first.

Larsson looks like he'll need some time on the bottom line to get up to game speed. Looked very rusty and slow. But glad to have him back.

If we had to lose to the bad teams but beat all the good teams, I'm good with that. The bad teams won't be in the playoffs anyway.

Need a good response in Vegas. Going to assume Smith gets the start in Vegas and Kosk in 'Zona.
My wife said she thinks its fixed for that reason lol. Every time they honor someone on the opposing team, they have a terrible game. Tonight is probably a banner raising for Vegas' 5000th cumulative man-game or something.

Reactions: dssource

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
My wife said she thinks its fixed for that reason lol. Every time they honor someone on the opposing team, they have a terrible game. Tonight is probably a banner raising for Vegas' 5000th cumulative man-game or something.

It will be a 30 minute banner raising for Celine Dions 12th consecutive sellout at Ceasars followed by a slow 25 minute rendition of the Star Spandled Banner sung by Rihanna who will show she can hit every octave and note known to mankind and then the 14 minute Vegas pregame show where their idiot Knight on skates slays the Oil-Monster. Then they will honour 147 military vets and their dogs who will all drop a ceremonial puck.

Puck will actually drop for the actual reason people paid to go to the arena at about 10:37 pm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad