Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2023-2024

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Lorenz has a skillset that we can use. Big, grindy. Duhaime replacement.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Having been through a few of the Ness skating sessions, can confirm that they are great.
Did a couple of the Ness camps when I was growing up. Definetly helps a lot in your development, but I ever expect a NHLer to considerably improve their skating

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
First year, 9 points in 37 games.

Second year, 30 points in 44 games.

See Stramel, it is possible.
The good news is that next season may be Stramel's junior year, but he's actually half a year younger than Lorenz, so there's hope.

We also should probably consider that Lorenz is still just 10th in scoring on his team. Much better than Stramel's 17th, but still, the context is important when deciding if we should be hopeful for Stramel. 30 points in Denver is 17 points in Madison and 22 in Lancing. I think Stramel is capable of matching that season, maybe even beating it, but he definitely needs to have a heck of an offseason.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Did a couple of the Ness camps when I was growing up. Definetly helps a lot in your development, but I ever expect a NHLer to considerably improve their skating
They probably save the secret, "Wushi Finger" skating techniques for the NHL'ers.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
They probably save the secret, "Wushi Finger" skating techniques for the NHL'ers.
Holding back their best for the pros when the kids need to learn? Shameful. Vivi-Anne Hulten is spinning in her grave. To be fair, she was very good at spins anyway, so that may be coincidental.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Holding back their best for the pros when the kids need to learn? Shameful. Vivi-Anne Hulten is spinning in her grave. To be fair, she was very good at spins anyway, so that may be coincidental.
My defense partner for a while growing up had a mother who taught him to skate. She was a world class figure skater. Back then no one was teaching skating to hockey players, or if they were, certainly not figure skaters.

He spent 14 years in the NHL. I last played in an Albertan beer league at 17(long story).:help:

Skating isn't everything in hockey, but it's a big thing.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
My defense partner for a while growing up had a mother who taught him to skate. She was a world class figure skater. Back then no one was teaching skating to hockey players, or if they were, certainly not figure skaters.

He spent 14 years in the NHL. I last played in an Albertan beer league at 17(long story).:help:

Skating isn't everything in hockey, but it's a big thing.
Learning from Vivi-Anne did NOT make me an NHLer, not even close, but I still think all hockey players should learn from a figure skater. Skating was easily my best skill because of it. I look at someone like Milan Lucic and wonder how good he would have been if he didn't stomp around the ice like a dinosaur.

One of these days I'm going to realize who your defense partner was. I narrowed it down to two guys a while back with some creeper-level sleuthing on eliteprospects.com, but I've entirely forgot which two now.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Learning from Vivi-Anne did NOT make me an NHLer, not even close, but I still think all hockey players should learn from a figure skater. Skating was easily my best skill because of it. I look at someone like Milan Lucic and wonder how good he would have been if he didn't stomp around the ice like a dinosaur.

One of these days I'm going to realize who your defense partner was. I narrowed it down to two guys a while back with some creeper-level sleuthing on eliteprospects.com, but I've entirely forgot which two now.
Agreed that figure skaters are amazing. Even back then, when i was a big hitting, combative Dman who was no stranger the the penalty box, i was in awe of what they could do on the ice, and appreciated the guts that it took to go flying though the air(w/o pads, and in a little skirt) with those dorky skates.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Any chance Lorenz turns pro this year?
I'd say very little. I'm guessing Denver will be losing some guys and he'll get elevated in the lineup. Great improvement from last year but still only 8th or 9th in scoring for forwards on that team. Hopefully can find a more prominent role still.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I'd say very little. I'm guessing Denver will be losing some guys and he'll get elevated in the lineup. Great improvement from last year but still only 8th or 9th in scoring for forwards on that team. Hopefully can find a more prominent role still.
I agree with this. He's not gonna play with the Wild and I'm not sure he'd get a top 6 role in Iowa, so might as well get more minutes in Denver. Denver has done a good job with him so far, and I trust them more than McLean and Co at this point.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I agree with this. He's not gonna play with the Wild and I'm not sure he'd get a top 6 role in Iowa, so might as well get more minutes in Denver. Denver has done a good job with him so far, and I trust them more than McLean and Co at this point.
I trust a trained monkey more than McLean at this point.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
blue chip: Wallstedt / Yurov

safe bet: Ohgren

classic b prospects: Marat / Heidt

living on draft pedigree: Stramel / Lambos

possible nhlers: Hunt / ROR / Firstov / Haight / Lorenz / Peart / Kumpalainen

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
blue chip: Wallstedt / Yurov

safe bet: Ohgren

classic b prospects: Marat / Heidt

living on draft pedigree: Stramel / Lambos

possible nhlers: Hunt / ROR / Firstov / Haight / Lorenz / Peart / Kumpalainen
Milne will play in NHL - will it only be 4th line interchangeable guy or good PK, energy, team glue guy who can also pop in 30 points?

People are sleeping on Bankier. He's above Firstov, Kump, Haight, etc. I'd go so far as to say only Yurov and Heidt are above him offensively of those that haven't played in MN yet. Not sure if put him in your B prospects but he's close.

Reactions: Wonderful Tacos

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Milne will play in NHL - will it only be 4th line interchangeable guy or good PK, energy, team glue guy who can also pop in 30 points?

People are sleeping on Bankier. He's above Firstov, Kump, Haight, etc. I'd go so far as to say only Yurov and Heidt are above him offensively of those that haven't played in MN yet. Not sure if put him in your B prospects but he's close.
I've been a Bankier stan for two years now but he needs a good offseason badly. Next season the skating has to be better and the compete level needs to be higher. He's got many tools and some are arguably the best in the system but glaring holes too. Idk, lotsa heavy weighted squats and work focused on improving his acceleration from a stop i would guess. But also, like a lot of the younger guys, needs to get more confident playing physical in close contact against men (heheheh).

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've been a Bankier stan for two years now but he needs a good offseason badly. Next season the skating has to be better and the compete level needs to be higher. He's got many tools and some are arguably the best in the system but glaring holes too. Idk, lotsa heavy weighted squats and work focused on improving his acceleration from a stop i would guess. But also, like a lot of the younger guys, needs to get more confident playing physical in close contact against men (heheheh).
Most weight/workout guys are moving away from the heavy squats. Split squats with lighter weights have taken over.

Reactions: Wonderful Tacos

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was going to say Bulgarian squats or jump squats would provide more explosiveness
yup. Love/hate those Bulgarian squats. I bought my full cage from a guy who trains hockey players. He says he didn't use it any more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad