Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2023-2024

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Watched the game. Wallstedt was horrendous. Ohgren was pretty invisible and his one shot came from a bad angle on the power play

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Iowa is diseased. That, or our prospects are way worse than we’ve been told

Iowa is bad but at least in this case they lost to the top team with almost 80% point percentage. Probably an expected loss for a bottom feeder.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, maybe Army wasn't so bad after all?

I do like that the young guys are getting lots of TOI, especially the Dmen. As long as there are one or two guys on the team who can step in to fight should things head that way, I'm cool with a sink or swim approach in the AHL. I mean, if they can't handle it down there, they can always go to the ECHL.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
So it was the best team in AHL vs the worst. And they have almost twice as many points?
And they meet again today? Welcome to NA, kid!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I keep hearing how the AHL is an inferior league compared to the KHL and SHL, so it should be no problem for Ohgren to dominate.

Reactions: Sweetnut

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Man I hope Wallstedt isn’t the most overrated wild prospect of all time. Sounds like he’s had a lot of bad games this year.

Maybe it's a lesson to not count our chickens (prospects) before they hatch (make the NHL) when we're considering our...future contender status...

He's also a 21 year old goalie behind a horrendous AHL team, so it's probably not completely indicative of his ability or potential

Reactions: keppel146

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I often need to remind myself that development is not linear.
Agree with this. I have seen Wallstedt have a stretch of very good games and then lay an egg. When he's on, he's on.

I am still a believer in him as I've seen him outbattle the Askarovs/Cossas/etc. in certain games, but I do think there is a little chink in his armor in the side to side movement. He also has nights where he just doesn't know his angles and because he's very much reliant on perfect positioning, when hes off slightly, it's usually a bad night because he's not an athletic goalie like a Fleury (not saying its bad or good).

With all that said, though, he has improved in his time in Iowa. And he's had a shitty team with a super young defense in front of him this year. Give him more structure and reliable D group where he can get into a rhythm and I think he ends up doing pretty good for himself.

Reactions: Sweetnut and MNRube

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I keep hearing how the AHL is an inferior league compared to the KHL and SHL, so it should be no problem for Ohgren to dominate.
Yeah I’ve never believed that crap either. They are all different versions of the same quality. The high-end KHL guys are the best overall but each league has a unique style that suits different skillsets. They also play on different ice-sheets

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Who says that about the SHL? There's argument between KHL and AHL but I've never heard anyone try to hold SHL to that standard.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I’m not worried about Wallstedt in the slightest long term. He may not be ready yet and that’s completely fine.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Since the start of March he's played 12 games. Three under .900 and the other nine games are .909 or higher.

To put into perspective:

Fleury: 10GP, three under .900
Gus: 7GP, two under .900

Keep in mind, Iowa's defensive system sucks. Minnesota's defensive system is #2 in xGA/60, #8 in SCA/60, and #3 in HDCA/60. Pretty darn good. Our NHL goaltending.... Not good.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
How long does McLean get to turn it around? Legitimately interested in opinions.
His NHL power-play wasn’t good. His AHL year 1 debut is a disaster.
I'd fire him yesterday and the GM of Iowa along with Bombardir and any of the development team. They have been a tire fire on top of a garbage barge.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
The talent is undeniable. Goalies are inherently inconsistent beings by nature. Look at all the goalies across they league. Ty eh almost all have down years. It’s part of the reason why I would hate to give up on Gustavsson after this year because the talent is so obvious.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Wabit

May 23, 2016
How long does McLean get to turn it around? Legitimately interested in opinions.
His NHL power-play wasn’t good. His AHL year 1 debut is a disaster.

He's had garbage to work with for players (outside of a couple) this year. He didn't even get the "good AHL vets" for a most of the season because they were up on the NHL club.

I don't think he's anything special as a coach, but there is only so much a coach can do when almost every night your team is at a talent/skill deficit.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The talent is undeniable. Goalies are inherently inconsistent beings by nature. Look at all the goalies across they league. Ty eh almost all have down years. It’s part of the reason why I would hate to give up on Gustavsson after this year because the talent is so obvious.

I wouldn't give up on Gus just yet, but I would also be listening to offers on him. If one I liked came along I wouldn't hesitate to trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad