Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2023-2024

Owen Nolan

Mar 3, 2024
He's had garbage to work with for players (outside of a couple) this year. He didn't even get the "good AHL vets" for a most of the season because they were up on the NHL club.

I don't think he's anything special as a coach, but there is only so much a coach can do when almost every night your team is at a talent/skill deficit.
So how much rope do you give him?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Agree with this. I have seen Wallstedt have a stretch of very good games and then lay an egg. When he's on, he's on.

I am still a believer in him as I've seen him outbattle the Askarovs/Cossas/etc. in certain games, but I do think there is a little chink in his armor in the side to side movement. He also has nights where he just doesn't know his angles and because he's very much reliant on perfect positioning, when hes off slightly, it's usually a bad night because he's not an athletic goalie like a Fleury (not saying its bad or good).

With all that said, though, he has improved in his time in Iowa. And he's had a shitty team with a super young defense in front of him this year. Give him more structure and reliable D group where he can get into a rhythm and I think he ends up doing pretty good for himself.
His style just reminds me so much of Niklas Backstrom, efficient but lacking a bit on the side to side movement - but the reason I'm so hype of Wallstedt is that unlike Backstrom, Wallstedt is 21 years old, is 6-4 tall, is faster with his side-to-side movements (despite being his weakness aspect like Backstrom), and he seems like a smart kid whos going to learn alot over the next few seasons. In other words, a bigger, faster, younger Backstrom on an ELC deal.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So how much rope do you give him?

Another season and a competitive roster. If the roster continues to be junk then it doesn't really matter who the coach is to me.

So far Fenton is the only GM that seemed to care enough to make the AHL squad good since it moved to Iowa. He brought in some quality vets to mix in with the weak(ish) prospects playing in Iowa.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That might be one of the stupidest things Stramel could have done. He couldn’t find playing time on Wisconsin. He thinks he’s gonna go to a better team and get more ice time? Laughable.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
That might be one of the stupidest things Stramel could have done. He couldn’t find playing time on Wisconsin. He thinks he’s gonna go to a better team and get more ice time? Laughable.
He has a connection to Adam Nightingale, as he was the head coach for Stramel's USNTDP team. I imagine the familiarity might do Stramel some small favors for getting into the lineup early on. At that point, the spot will be won or lost by his play, I'm sure. Hopefully he has an awesome offseason and then rips it up at Michigan State.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I mean Michigan State is losing 6 seniors and 4 transfers, so they have 10 open slots, so?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
He has a connection to Adam Nightingale, as he was the head coach for Stramel's USNTDP team. I imagine the familiarity might do Stramel some small favors for getting into the lineup early on. At that point, the spot will be won or lost by his play, I'm sure. Hopefully he has an awesome offseason and then rips it up at Michigan State.
He desperately needs to work with a skating coach. I dont think hes as bad as skater are people make him out to be and he has really long strides but, like Rossi previously (whos on the totally opposite end of spectrum of size), he struggles setting up a base. He's top heavy, too easy to knock of balance, and too slow on his first steps. He has the tools to be fast at full strides but needs to work with someone to quicken up his acceleration and create pace/burst in tight corners.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
happy for Stramel. Fresh start was probably best move - he was not developing in Madison. Still think he will be a solid bottom 6 guy if he can learn to move his feet more.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
More in-depth look at last years development camp as well as the development staff in this Becoming Wild episode, even a short glimpse at Andy Ness' skating is still cool to see, and also a shirtless beach volleyball scene with Faber for the women in the audience:

Reactions: Sweetnut

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
More in-depth look at last years development camp as well as the development staff in this Becoming Wild episode, even a short glimpse at Andy Ness' skating is still cool to see, and also a shirtless beach volleyball scene with Faber for the women in the audience:

Doesn’t have to be just the women 😉

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Found the Top Gun fan.
Maverick was a great movie. I’m not sure I followed what happened in the first Top Gun, but I did come away with the “talk to me goose” and “negative ghost rider, the pattern is full” sayings since my father repeated them many times throughout my childhood.

Reactions: BagHead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad