Tidbits: Wild Press Club - Media talk

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Carter will remain silent because he just won. Russo apologized. Blamed health.

Carter is now justified for his actions in his own eyes and others.
I disagree. As of now, Russo has proven himself to be the bigger man. Carter would do well to emulate him. As of now he just seems like a petty hot head.

I wonder who was the middle man to get those two together? Guerin? Dumba?

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
I tried to be pretty clear that they're not equal, but maybe I wasn't clear enough. If not, sorry about that.
My mistake. Sorry. Surprised the rest of the panel just sat there like stooges. Gretzky tried to change the subject but Carter wouldn’t let it go. Hats off to Russo for apologizing but Carter was WAY out of line.

Reactions: BagHead and TaLoN

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Russo speaking up and saying they both apologized to each other, yet Carter keeping complete radio silence speaks volumes about his character. IMO, Carter should have to clarify and or apologize publicly.

Stanzel isn't wrong....

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Russo speaking up and saying they both apologized to each other, yet Carter keeping complete radio silence speaks volumes about his character. IMO, Carter should have to clarify and or apologize publicly.

Stanzel isn't wrong....

Russo had absolutely nothing to apologise for. It's ridiculous that he should even feel the need to, even if it's the high road.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
fireable offense for carter. If it was the other way around he would be gone. Hockey has a image problem in that it isn't really a sport it's a life style choice. I get the NHL wants to expand its fan base but the truth is hockey is only acccessible to those who are in that club.

Reactions: StateofCelly

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
fireable offense for carter. If it was the other way around he would be gone. Hockey has a image problem in that it isn't really a sport it's a life style choice. I get the NHL wants to expand its fan base but the truth is hockey is only acccessible to those who are in that club.

As much as I agree that Carter was in the wrong, I'm tired of seeing people get fired/cancelled for saying something stupid. Best course of action is for Carter and Russo to get things straight between them (done) and I would like to see Carter publicly acknowledge that what he said was stupid (waiting).

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
As much as I agree that Carter was in the wrong, I'm tired of seeing people get fired/cancelled for saying something stupid. Best course of action is for Carter and Russo to get thing straight between them (done) and I would like to see Carter publicly acknowledge that what he said was stupid (waiting).
Agreed. It was a poor decision on Carter's part but I have no idea what the situation looked like from his end. The internet makes it way too easy to mistake the contents of your own head for the contents of reality, and both parties seemed to fall into that trap in this case.

If the two of them think it's settled I don't see any reason to disagree.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Because Carter besmirched Russo's name in public to millions of people, it's only right that he reverses himself in public, also. Doing it privately doesn't clear Russo's name, and refusing to do so is cowardly on Carter's part.
As much as I agree that Carter was in the wrong, I'm tired of seeing people get fired/cancelled for saying something stupid. Best course of action is for Carter and Russo to get things straight between them (done) and I would like to see Carter publicly acknowledge that what he said was stupid (waiting).

Russo is indeed the better man.
Carter’s silence speaks volumes.
He seems to have a bigger voice and frankly could care less about small market Wild with their bruised little beat writer. That attitude was evident. The only way Russo is vindicated is if the Wild indeed show depth and character down the stretch.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It could well be that Carter is just waiting for the next TNT broadcast to apologize. Would be the appropriate place to do it. I know that Russo and Carter have mutual friends at TNT who have helped ease things between the two.

Apparently what might have set Carter off was the implication that he was lazy by only watching the Wild only once a month. I don't think Russo meant anything of the sort, but maybe Carter had a bad day, or has had "lazy" thrown at him together with the color of his skin in the past.

Trying to be charitable here...Carter obviously was pissed, but it seemed not only ill advised, but aimed at the wrong person.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
It could well be that Carter is just waiting for the next TNT broadcast to apologize. Would be the appropriate place to do it. I know that Russo and Carter have mutual friends at TNT who have helped ease things between the two.

Apparently what might have set Carter off was the implication that he was lazy by only watching the Wild only once a month. I don't think Russo meant anything of the sort, but maybe Carter had a bad day, or has had "lazy" thrown at him together with the color of his skin in the past.

Trying to be charitable here...Carter obviously was pissed, but it seemed not only ill advised, but aimed at the wrong person.

Russo was implying , and rightfully so, that Carter and most of the mainstream hockey media have at best a rudimentary knowledge of the inner workings and reasons for current upward trajectory of the Wild.
So Russo is out of line. Just emotional.
That’s totally fine to dispute their depth. Different opinions are great. That’s Carters job! It makes it fun when you see how it washes out.
The real issue, is Anson calling the race card. Totally uncalled for. Far more serious then Russo getting a chubby. Perhaps not grounds for dismissal but disturbing.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I respect his past, but really, Lou Nanne has to stop being considered as a "hockey expert", and nothing more than a teller of tales from days long gone. He was on KFAN today, and mentioning how Canada was at a disadvantage because they were playing on the "larger ice surface".

It's common knowledge that the Olympics are using the NHL size rinks this year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Russo was implying , and rightfully so, that Carter and most of the mainstream hockey media have at best a rudimentary knowledge of the inner workings and reasons for current upward trajectory of the Wild.
So Russo is out of line. Just emotional.
That’s totally fine to dispute their depth. Different opinions are great. That’s Carters job! It makes it fun when you see how it washes out.
The real issue, is Anson calling the race card. Totally uncalled for. Far more serious then Russo getting a chubby. Perhaps not grounds for dismissal but disturbing.
The depth was questioned based on the Winter Classic.

The team dealt with the same injuries post Winter Classic and went on to go 9-0-1.

How can you question depth because of an injury situation in that one game, then not acknowledge how they went on AFTER said game still dealing with injuries?

THAT is why Russo questioned how much Carter even paid attention to the Wild.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I respect his past, but really, Lou Nanne has to stop being considered as a "hockey expert", and nothing more than a teller of tales from days long gone. He was on KFAN today, and mentioning how Canada was at a disadvantage because they were playing on the "larger ice surface".

Right after that he talked about the US women having to come back againt "Czechoslovakia "

I love Lou. Got a chance to meet him a few times and he's a very nice guy....but yeah, he's getting up there in age and its showing.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Right after that he talked about the US women having to come back againt "Czechoslovakia "

I love Lou. Got a chance to meet him a few times and he's a very nice guy....but yeah, he's getting up there in age and its showing.
The Czechoslovakia isn’t that strange. They grew up with that as a country. Hard to break habit.

There are Plenty other things to complain about Luo haha

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The Czechoslovakia isn’t that strange. They grew up with that as a country. Hard to break habit.

There are Plenty other things to complain about Luo haha

I grew up with Czechoslovakia as well...:laugh: But that was a long time ago.

Lou is a legend and a treasure in Minnesota.

Reactions: JBurd1

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I grew up with Czechoslovakia as well...:laugh: But that was a long time ago.

Lou is a legend and a treasure in Minnesota.
Lou lived with that a LOT longer than any of us have. He was a senior citizen when they split back up.

(Sorry, just looked it up, he was actually 3 years short of being a senior citizen)

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
ESPN+ game tonight and we get Leah Hextall on the play by play. My mute button will be activated.

EDIT: Good news. The game is also on BSN+

Last edited:
Reactions: JBurd1

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
ESPN+ game tonight and we get Leah Hextall on the play by play. My mute button will be activated.

Don't worry, I'll keep you up to speed on how many times I get lulled to sleep.

I was actually thinking about ESPN+'s production recently, and I realized it reminds me a little of watching golf. It's really very relaxing. But I'm not sure that relaxing is appropriate for a high intensity hockey game.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wish we had some of the Premier League announcers over to do a game.

(Silence)...." a bit ambitious, that"....(silence)... " the Jets not looking convincing "....." a yellow? "...." Foligno has been sent off!"....(silence)....(silence)..." Opportunity! "..... "Pandemonium in the stands!"

Reactions: HockeyRube

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
The depth was questioned based on the Winter Classic.

The team dealt with the same injuries post Winter Classic and went on to go 9-0-1.

How can you question depth because of an injury situation in that one game, then not acknowledge how they went on AFTER said game still dealing with injuries?

THAT is why Russo questioned how much Carter even paid attention to the Wild.
Exactly. Carter could care less about some small market team/beat writer but at the same time he doesn’t want to be called out on it. If I only watched the Winter Classic I would think the Wild are pretty lousy too.

Yes. Nice fella, pure gentleman. But Time marches on. Game hardly resembles the 60s-70s game Nanne played.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Seems the Athletic is hiring another writer for the Wild, seemingly well known one by Russo's hints.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad