Farmington, MN
If it's Adrian Dater I'm gonna puke
046a33f1-14c8-4553-980b-4cc760487be8_text.gif

Reactions: fgobuzz

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Pretty sure Dater is persona non grata in the industry at this point. He had to create his own site.

I don't know his whole history, I know he was pretty incendiary when he was covering the Avs back in the late 00's. So I don't know if there's a reason to have him black balled from the industry. But I also know Russo is pretty chummy with him, and I was trying to think of well known writers who are currently "free agents".

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't know his whole history, I know he was pretty incendiary when he was covering the Avs back in the late 00's. So I don't know if there's a reason to have him black balled from the industry. But I also know Russo is pretty chummy with him, and I was trying to think of well known writers who are currently "free agents".
Could be someone who isn't a known "free agent" but someone who had a pretty solid gig for a long time, then The Athletic sniped them... as happened with Russo. Maybe, it's someone already with The Athletic getting re-assigned and their old gig is getting a free agent.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Could be someone who isn't a known "free agent" but someone who had a pretty solid gig for a long time, then The Athletic sniped them... as happened with Russo.

Do we have a list of ideas? I don't really follow beat writers. Jessi Pierce would be a local one that comes to mind. I don't know who writes for the Strib or Pioneer Press.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Russo said on his podcast the other day that it is an already-established Athletic writer moving internally.

He has also referenced them as "him" or "he" a few times. Mentioned that Russo and the new one will both be Minnesota and National writers.

I'm thinking its either Kevin Kurz or Scott Wheeler, leaning toward the latter.

If the latter he can certainly continue his general prospect stuff potentially. If the former, in assuming he becomes a national writer for the first time.

Reactions: AKL and TaLoN

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Russo said on his podcast the other day that it is an already-established Athletic writer moving internally.

He has also referenced them as "him" or "he" a few times. Mentioned that Russo and the new one will both be Minnesota and National writers.

If the latter he can certainly continue his general prospect stuff potentially. If the former, in assuming he becomes a national writer for the first time.
Wheeler makes sense as well since he loves all of Minnesota's prospects

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Scott Wheeler would be a great get it seems, Ive only read a handful of his articles and have always enjoyed them

Reactions: MuckOG

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Had a bad habit of getting drunk and being inappropriate in twitter DMs with female hockey fans. Got him canned from the Denver Post.

Reactions: AKL

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Kurz just moved from SJ to New York to cover the Islanders. Seems weird he'd switch so soon again.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Wheeler implied it wasn't him when someone asked him earlier in the comment section of his article about Jack Peart. I guess it could be misdirection, but he would have been my first guess.

Please be Down Goes Brown.

Last edited:

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
In Russo's latest podcast he stated that the new reporter will be introduced in ~2-3 weeks, because that person is going on a two week vacation in the next few days and will be out. They're apparently coming to Minnesota in early October.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
In Russo's latest podcast he stated that the new reporter will be introduced in ~2-3 weeks, because that person is going on a two week vacation in the next few days and will be out. They're apparently coming to Minnesota in early October.
Someone do some investigative work and figure out who's on vacation now. :sarcasm:

Reactions: TaLoN

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Wonder if this means Russo is getting bored and wants a bigger gig or at least something different?
From what I have heard/read from Russo on his podcast and twitter and stuff, its mostly because:

1. Minnesota fans are well, well represented on the Athletic so they can justify a second writer
2. Russo is going to do some more national pieces (ex. his Russia/worker visa story, peeks behind the scenes with player safety, etc.) but has reiterated several times that he will still focus on the Wild, but will just have some more leeway to do quick national stories here and there
3. New writer will apparently also team up with Russo + possibly others on an occasional National Story here and there
4. reading between the lines a bit here but I get the feeling that Russo works his butt off, really only takes time off in the summer and even then he's constantly updating twitter and Athletic with stories and stuff. He's not exactly retirement-age, but he's getting up there. Getting a second writer will probably allow him to take some time off here and there.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
yikes i cant even make that one up that was just poor on my part. should really let my brain reread shit before hitting send.
Happens to me all the time. I recently had posted "DUI" in place of "do" because i didn't see what my phone put in prior to sending it. :laugh:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think the new writer is going to be Hailey Salvian. Was with the flames last year but she does a lot of stuff for the Athletic. Will be a great add if it’s the case

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I think the new writer is going to be Hailey Salvian. Was with the flames last year but she does a lot of stuff for the Athletic. Will be a great add if it’s the case
Is your guess based on anything in particular?

Edit - I assume because Russo retweeted this? Her bio on the Athletic says she covers women's hockey now, so my guess is probably not.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad