Tidbits: Wild Press Club - Media talk

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
Thanks for reminding me of this. What Russo reported makes no sense.

Rarely does.

I don't think so....because he specifically mentioned Mennel's situation later in the column.

I think Russo is losing it....

You guys do know that Russo is universally regarded as one of the best beat writers in all of sports, let alone hockey, right?

And before you ask, no, I'm not Russo lol

Reactions: Wild11MN

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You guys do know that Russo is universally regarded as one of the best beat writers in all of sports, let alone hockey, right?

Russo is hardly a beat writer anymore, and in the past several years I'm not sure what he's done that would qualify him as still being one of the best. Unless other reporters are just that bad still.

Reactions: Olcoach

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

WAS, but with the advent of podcasts and him moving to the Athletic, his reputation has taken a major hit.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
Russo is hardly a beat writer anymore, and in the past several years I'm not sure what he's done that would qualify him as still being one of the best. Unless other reporters are just that bad still.

What would qualify as a beat writer then? Nobody covers the Wild more thoroughly. I've read stuff in both the Strib and Press as well as the Wild online stuff and there's really no comparison in terms of quality of coverage. We're pretty lucky to have Russo, a lot of other teams get really bad/little coverage

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What would qualify as a beat writer then? Nobody covers the Wild more thoroughly. I've read stuff in both the Strib and Press as well as the Wild online stuff and there's really no comparison in terms of quality of coverage. We're pretty lucky to have Russo, a lot of other teams get really bad/little coverage

Russo provides very little in terms of actual inside information. He speculates a lot. Like a lot. Most of his press coverage of the Wild is basically being Guerin's mouthpiece. He's a PR guy for the Wild.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
Fans; media in general has gotten pretty bad and Russo is not immune to this.

Judging by his success with two podcasts, numerous TV and radio slots, national recognition, etc. I'd have to disagree with that statement.

Russo provides very little in terms of actual inside information. He speculates a lot. Like a lot. Most of his press coverage of the Wild is basically being Guerin's mouthpiece. He's a PR guy for the Wild.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I almost never see breaking news or "inside information" about the Wild that doesn't come from Russo first. Speculation happens all the time in sports, for instance look at this site we're currently on, it's mostly blind speculation. Unless Guerin or some other source in the organization is going to constantly feed him direct information, it's all speculation until something actually happens (trade, hiring, etc), no journalist worth their salt is going to be out throwing ideas around as fact until there's some type of corroboration from multiple sources. And with all due respect that last part is pretty laughable, I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but saying he's Guerin's mouthpiece? I mean he's been pretty critical of the things that have deserved it (i.e. not putting Parise on the abysmal 2nd PP unit in the playoffs, going an entire year with Victor Rask as a #1C, etc). So I'm not too sure what you mean by that last bit.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Judging by his success with two podcasts, numerous TV and radio slots, national recognition, etc. I'd have to disagree with that statement.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I almost never see breaking news or "inside information" about the Wild that doesn't come from Russo first. Speculation happens all the time in sports, for instance look at this site we're currently on, it's mostly blind speculation. Unless Guerin or some other source in the organization is going to constantly feed him direct information, it's all speculation until something actually happens (trade, hiring, etc), no journalist worth their salt is going to be out throwing ideas around as fact until there's some type of corroboration from multiple sources. And with all due respect that last part is pretty laughable, I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but saying he's Guerin's mouthpiece? I mean he's been pretty critical of the things that have deserved it (i.e. not putting Parise on the abysmal 2nd PP unit in the playoffs, going an entire year with Victor Rask as a #1C, etc). So I'm not too sure what you mean by that last bit.

Here's what I'm trying to say. Russo is a good reporter when he actually reports the information. He writes a thorough piece.

But he isn't an insider, he only reports what Guerin wants him to report when he wants him to report it (understandable, to keep a good relationship). And he spends most of his time trying to be an analyst on his podcast or elsewhere, speculating the same way we do. And he gets a lot of it wrong, just like we do.

Most of the times, he's just us with a podcast. And the issue isn't that he has one or that people listen, the part that bothers me and others is when people take what he says as some form of gospel, or that he's some trusted inside source, or the idea that we're "lucky to have him."

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
Honestly I think there is alot russo knows he doesn't report. Probably fear of loosing access to wild personel? He's said he knows what happened with harding as an example. Doesn't say any info on alot because wild don't want anyone to know is why he can be seen as a mouthpiece for Wild org. Real reporters REPORT no matterwho's feeling are hurt. That is the job.

Reactions: AKL

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Honestly I think there is alot russo knows he doesn't report. Probably fear of loosing access to wild personel? He's said he knows what happened with harding as an example. Doesn't say any info on alot because wild don't want anyone to know is why he can be seen as a mouthpiece for Wild org. Real reporters REPORT no matterwho's feeling are hurt. That is the job.

Exactly. It's fine if you want to protect your relationships with these guys to continue getting access to stories like that, but if you're not reporting them, what function do you actually serve to the fans?

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
Here's what I'm trying to say. Russo is a good reporter when he actually reports the information. He writes a thorough piece.

But he isn't an insider, he only reports what Guerin wants him to report when he wants him to report it (understandable, to keep a good relationship). And he spends most of his time trying to be an analyst on his podcast or elsewhere, speculating the same way we do. And he gets a lot of it wrong, just like we do.

Most of the times, he's just us with a podcast. And the issue isn't that he has one or that people listen, the part that bothers me and others is when people take what he says as some form of gospel, or that he's some trusted inside source, or the idea that we're "lucky to have him."

But that's his job... I guess you can say he's kind of a beat writer/columnist hybrid because he's not just writing game stories and transcribing quotes; but it's his job to have opinions (which are far more educated and informed than any fan's, naturally). Now obviously he's not going to be right 100% of the time, nobody in sports ever is. I can understand being annoyed with people who take his opinions and regurgitate them as if their fact, but if that's "what bothers you and others", I think your problem is with those people who don't think for themselves, not Russo who's just doing his job and doing it damn well. I read other writers' stories around the league a lot and granted I'm biased as a Minnesotan, but we definitely are lucky to have Russo on the basis of what else is out there both nationally and locally.

Honestly I think there is alot russo knows he doesn't report. Probably fear of loosing access to wild personel? He's said he knows what happened with harding as an example. Doesn't say any info on alot because wild don't want anyone to know is why he can be seen as a mouthpiece for Wild org. Real reporters REPORT no matter who's feeling are hurt. That is the job.

As someone who spent some years as a journalist on the beat of a division 1 sports program (I won't say which), I can confidently say that is most certainly NOT the job. The job is to be objective, informative, and entertaining, as much as is feasible. Just because you as a writer with access to the team may know some things the public doesn't know, doesn't mean you go and put it out there no matter what. It's not about people's feelings, you can be critical of people or the organization in general without burning bridges. If you as a journalist start spilling every secret you're ever trusted with, you're going to find yourself out of the industry in a hurry because that's a great way to sow mistrust and burn sources, get passed over in media scrums, etc. It just doesn't work like that in the real world.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
But that's his job... I guess you can say he's kind of a beat writer/columnist hybrid because he's not just writing game stories and transcribing quotes; but it's his job to have opinions (which are far more educated and informed than any fan's, naturally). Now obviously he's not going to be right 100% of the time, nobody in sports ever is. I can understand being annoyed with people who take his opinions and regurgitate them as if their fact, but if that's "what bothers you and others", I think your problem is with those people who don't think for themselves, not Russo who's just doing his job and doing it damn well. I read other writers' stories around the league a lot and granted I'm biased as a Minnesotan, but we definitely are lucky to have Russo on the basis of what else is out there both nationally and locally.

As someone who spent some years as a journalist on the beat of a division 1 sports program (I won't say which), I can confidently say that is most certainly NOT the job. The job is to be objective, informative, and entertaining, as much as is feasible. Just because you as a writer with access to the team may know some things the public doesn't know, doesn't mean you go and put it out there no matter what. It's not about people's feelings, you can be critical of people or the organization in general without burning bridges. If you as a journalist start spilling every secret you're ever trusted with, you're going to find yourself out of the industry in a hurry because that's a great way to sow mistrust and burn sources, get passed over in media scrums, etc. It just doesn't work like that in the real world.
Ok He should just call himself the wild INSIDER. and not use the words beatwriter or reporter then.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I think this is probably swinging it a little too far in the other direction. He undoubtedly has a lot more access to front offices and agents than we do.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

i posted on here about shero coming after reading it elsewhere before russo even said anything...

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I dub this the Russo thread.

Kinda weird to have a thread just for the writer, but he comes up as a topic frequently enough to justify it. Especially since it tends to divert other threads.

To be fair, the Wild only have one reporter...

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Russo is one of the best at what he does, no doubt. We’re truly lucky to have someone who covers the team as well as he does. That said, you have to be able to decipher between the Russo speculation and Russo having inside information. When he reports something, I listen. When he’s speculating, his reasoning is rarely valid.

Reactions: TaLoN

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I hate having this thread sorry.
I've enjoyed his writings for a long time and while very receptive to arguments that the quality may have dipped over the years, having a dedicated thread on a writer and not the team is only going to invite bashing and online fights with posters. I rather not.

We can complain about his specific articles when they come up. But a dedicated thread seems unnecessary.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Sarah McLellan
Dane Mizutani

Russo's obviously the most prominent and prolific, but he's not the only one covering the team.

Huh, didn't realize there were others anymore.

I've enjoyed his writings for a long time and while very receptive to arguments that the quality may have dipped over the years, having a dedicated thread on a writer and not the team is only going to invite bashing and online fights with posters. I rather not.

We can complain about his specific articles when they come up. But a dedicated thread seems unnecessary.

Wow, where have you been?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

It's this or we just start napalming the discussion when it takes over other threads. Obviously the usual rules apply, but it's clearly something people want to talk about since it comes up almost monthly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad