GDT: Wild @ Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Sit Brunner. He is a waste of speed and has no hockey sense. He is the definition of why speed alone accomplishes nothing.

I'm actually surprised he didn't sit for Tootoo tonight lol...at this point he doesn't really add much other than being the fourth point on the PP preventing Greene from having to do it.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Tonights win shows the fine line between winning and losing and how important it is for your goalie to make a few key saves at the right times. I agree with Jim in that we won tonight because of Cory. If he's just average, this game easily goes into OT or else we lose in regulation.

Some other observations:

1. Shocked Josefson had so little playing time because I noticed him alot tonight. Had a few chances.
2. Helgeson had a decent first game and again, I noticed the nastiness he played with around the net. That is something this team severely lacks. Sal tries to be physical but remember, he's a nice guy, not a nasty guy.
3. More Deboer poor personnel choices. Killing a penalty in our own zone and the forwards are Gionta and Elias, our two worst faceoff centermen.
4. Cammalleri is the sparkplug that makes this offense go. Without him, we're a bunch of lost puppies.
5. Not sure who was on the ice but the D lets Vanek get behind them for a breakaway with 5 minutes to go up by 1. That's just inexcusable and hopefully, it was the rookies who learn from their mistakes but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it was Zidlicky. We'll have to live with a few mistakes but with the game on the line, they need to consciously tighten up.
6. Bruner is still very lost out there and I still don;t see how he fits within this system.
7. Havlat set up Elias quite a bit and played well. Have heard rumors Patty's nursing an injury (knee?) and he does look rather slow on the ice but he's not been quick in a while. He thrives on making smart plays and having good anticipation. He just looks more disinterested than his usual quiet calm and he seems to be missing by just a step - possibly a sign of age catching up with him a little.

That all sai, I think we get killed by washington 5-2 with Wash getting two power play goals. I'm hopeful and glad they won, but haven't seen anything to make me thing they're playing better - Cory just made a few stops and we won. When has to not make so many highlight reel saves, I'll start having more confidence.

David Conte

Oct 6, 2014
He made enough big saves tonight to wash away the bad goal, and he made a bunch of those after he let in the bad goal, so he kept it together. Big bounce back game from Cory.

I am in agreement with the soft goals needing to stop, but making saves after said soft goal meant a lot as mentioned here. Usually one back breaker leads to another, but that was not the case tonight. I would have to go ahead and classify this as a bounce back as well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I missed the game. Glad people are seeing Brunner what he really is, a giant coasting moron.

I've never been a huge Brunner fan (go back to all my posts saying how the Wings don't get rid of good hockey players) but they had to give him a real shot since he's got speed which is sorely lacking here. He just doesn't add enough offensively or defensively to overcome his lack of a brain.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I am in agreement with the soft goals needing to stop, but making saves after said soft goal meant a lot as mentioned here. Usually one back breaker leads to another, but that was not the case tonight. I would have to go ahead and classify this as a bounce back as well.

As much as I wanted to lock Cory in solitary confinement after that goal, you really can't overstate how he responded after that when he basically had the pressure of a firing squad on him in more ways than one.

jensi

Feb 21, 2007
Northern Sweden
Good game by schneider. Joy not seeing salvacone out there. 3-2 when watching Devils live. Larsson and helgeson hade a good game. Anyone know a good bar in jersey city watching the friday night game?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He looks like an older more sturdy Tedenby, doesn't he?

Pretty much. He doesn't do anything really wrong most of the time. Like no costly mistakes, but he doesn't do much right either.

He either speeds into the zone and gets himself pinned in the corner and turns the puck over, or is just incapable of giving or receiving a pass. Doesn't have much of a shot either.

Really all he has is his speed.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Tonights win shows the fine line between winning and losing and how important it is for your goalie to make a few key saves at the right times. I agree with Jim in that we won tonight because of Cory. If he's just average, this game easily goes into OT or else we lose in regulation.

Some other observations:

1. Shocked Josefson had so little playing time because I noticed him alot tonight. Had a few chances.
2. Helgeson had a decent first game and again, I noticed the nastiness he played with around the net. That is something this team severely lacks. Sal tries to be physical but remember, he's a nice guy, not a nasty guy.
3. More Deboer poor personnel choices. Killing a penalty in our own zone and the forwards are Gionta and Elias, our two worst faceoff centermen.
4. Cammalleri is the sparkplug that makes this offense go. Without him, we're a bunch of lost puppies.
5. Not sure who was on the ice but the D lets Vanek get behind them for a breakaway with 5 minutes to go up by 1. That's just inexcusable and hopefully, it was the rookies who learn from their mistakes but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it was Zidlicky. We'll have to live with a few mistakes but with the game on the line, they need to consciously tighten up.
6. Bruner is still very lost out there and I still don;t see how he fits within this system.
7. Havlat set up Elias quite a bit and played well. Have heard rumors Patty's nursing an injury (knee?) and he does look rather slow on the ice but he's not been quick in a while. He thrives on making smart plays and having good anticipation. He just looks more disinterested than his usual quiet calm and he seems to be missing by just a step - possibly a sign of age catching up with him a little.

Vanek snuck in behind Severon.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
We won tonight. Can't say I'll enjoy it too much because the Wild were terrible, but we got some points.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
As much as I wanted to lock Cory in solitary confinement after that goal, you really can't overstate how he responded after that when he basically had the pressure of a firing squad on him in more ways than one.

Can't overstate the big stops before hand either. Overall it was a big game for him.

Going forward though the soft goals have to stop. He can't make his job even harder with the mishandling of the puck.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I've never been a huge Brunner fan (go back to all my posts saying how the Wings don't get rid of good hockey players) but they had to give him a real shot since he's got speed which is sorely lacking here. He just doesn't add enough offensively or defensively to overcome his lack of a brain.

i just never liked the guy. i know ryder would get **** for not playing well (they share similarities) but i always thought brunner was the worst of the two.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Can't overstate the big stops before hand either. Overall it was a big game for him.

Going forward though the soft goals have to stop. He can't make his job even harder with the mishandling of the puck.

Trying to play the puck again after that though was unconscionable. Even the crowd was letting him have it, it was kind of hilarious in a way.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Pretty much. He doesn't do anything really wrong most of the time. Like no costly mistakes, but he doesn't do much right either.

He either speeds into the zone and gets himself pinned in the corner and turns the puck over, or is just incapable of giving or receiving a pass. Doesn't have much of a shot either.

Really all he has is his speed.

Some fancy puck handling as well. Guy could really use some finish. I'd like him more as a 4th line guy who can kind of just go solo when he has the puck.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i just never liked the guy. i know ryder would get **** for not playing well (they share similarities) but i always thought brunner was the worst of the two.

Ryder at least has actual hockey talent, but is much slower and not exactly a Mensa member either.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Some fancy puck handling as well. Guy could really use some finish. I'd like him more as a 4th line guy who can kind of just go solo when he has the puck.

He has no hockey sense though. He makes like five moves, when he should make two and pass/shoot. Instead he over does it and ends up losing the puck as a result.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
You need a veteran presence on the blueline, I know its nice to cultivate young defensemen and watch them grow/mature into great players, but I'd rather not Oilers our D coprs and lose games so they can learn to play hockey. The Devils have and always will be an organization that focuses on making the playoffs while simultaneously solidifying their future. Severson, Merrill, Gelinas, and Larsson are more than enough young guys, and they're already making mistakes that cost NJD games early in the season - adding more of them would put this team in a difficult spot and less likely to make the playoffs, a yearly goal for this club no matter how badly this board wants them to "tank"...

If by "a" veteran presence, you mean just one, we already have one without Sal - Andy Greene

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
When everyone's healthy they have 'three' vets...problem is one of those vets is practically a one-dimensional offensive talent and another is a statue and can't play anymore.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
He has no hockey sense though. He makes like five moves, when he should make two and pass/shoot. Instead he over does it and ends up losing the puck as a result.

On top of that, he can't win a boards battle to save his life. He has a 0% chance of winning a boards battle if he's not their first, and maybe 50% chance if there first. He kills the cycle.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Larsson went beast mode tonight. Great on the PK, mean and sturdy 5 on 5. I think he quietly had his best game all season tonight.

I love Cory but for the love of god someone just chain him to the goal.

Never play Salvo or Tootoo again ever.

The Ruutuu - Josefson - Brunner line works really nicely.

Zajac and Jagr missed Cammy and that line is full force right now.

Severson hasn't been too hot the past few games. Once Merrill is healthy I think he should sit a game or two.

Havlat and Elias are so nasty together, I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad