GDT: Wild @ Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Good game by schneider. Joy not seeing salvacone out there. 3-2 when watching Devils live. Larsson and helgeson hade a good game. Anyone know a good bar in jersey city watching the friday night game?

Can't go wrong with Zeppelin Hall, especially if you like many beers on tap. Also conveniently by the light rail if you're not in a driving state afterwards. Not in Jersey City, but Texas Arizona in Hoboken (right by the train station) is very Devils friendly.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Can't go wrong with Zeppelin Hall, especially if you like many beers on tap. Also conveniently by the light rail if you're not in a driving state afterwards. Not in Jersey City, but Texas Arizona in Hoboken (right by the train station) is very Devils friendly.

Ya owner is a big Devils fan. Not a fan of the bar itself, but if you want friendly Devil's bar not near The Rock, it is a good spot.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Sit Brunner. He is a waste of speed and has no hockey sense. He is the definition of why speed alone accomplishes nothing.

I like Brunner. I think Ryder is a better option right now.. but Brunner is one of the only players on this team that can beat an opposing defensemen 1-on-1.

I just really don't like how he's put at the point on the PP. He should absolutely be on the half-boards.. that's such a natural position for him.

I think if Elias wasn't a corpse, Brunner-Elias-Havlat would work well together.

basically, I agree that he hasn't produced but IF we can get him going, that's something completely new we're adding to our team. Hell, bump Zubrus/Gionta/Bernier out of the lineup.. nothing wrong with that.

You need a veteran presence on the blueline, I know its nice to cultivate young defensemen and watch them grow/mature into great players, but I'd rather not Oilers our D coprs and lose games so they can learn to play hockey. The Devils have and always will be an organization that focuses on making the playoffs while simultaneously solidifying their future. Severson, Merrill, Gelinas, and Larsson are more than enough young guys, and they're already making mistakes that cost NJD games early in the season - adding more of them would put this team in a difficult spot and less likely to make the playoffs, a yearly goal for this club no matter how badly this board wants them to "tank"...

Why? Tell me why I need Zidlicky or Salvador on this team.

Give me the best 6 defensemen. I don't care if they are old or young. The best 6 give us the best shot to win every night and make the playoffs.

I think at this point in time, there's no argument to be made for Salvador over anyone else but Helgeson. I agree that Helgeson should be sent down if Salvador's role is dramatically reduced (i.e. almost to the level of Helgeson tonight).

Zidlicky? I think it's a toss-up between he and Gelinas. I think they both bring similar skills offensively. Zidlicky maybe more polished.. Gelinas probably higher end skill purely because of his shot. Defensively, they are both flawed. I'm fine with either one of the two.. which makes me want to just trade Zids so we can let a youngster develop. Hell, trade Gelinas if you want for an offensive prospect.. but I think that opens up a long-term hole.

You need to balance winning now and winning later. Can't be having kids sit at the expense of veterans when the veterans aren't that much better... if at all.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Tonights win shows the fine line between winning and losing and how important it is for your goalie to make a few key saves at the right times. I agree with Jim in that we won tonight because of Cory. If he's just average, this game easily goes into OT or else we lose in regulation.

Some other observations:

1. Shocked Josefson had so little playing time because I noticed him alot tonight. Had a few chances.
2. Helgeson had a decent first game and again, I noticed the nastiness he played with around the net. That is something this team severely lacks. Sal tries to be physical but remember, he's a nice guy, not a nasty guy.
3. More Deboer poor personnel choices. Killing a penalty in our own zone and the forwards are Gionta and Elias, our two worst faceoff centermen.
4. Cammalleri is the sparkplug that makes this offense go. Without him, we're a bunch of lost puppies.
5. Not sure who was on the ice but the D lets Vanek get behind them for a breakaway with 5 minutes to go up by 1. That's just inexcusable and hopefully, it was the rookies who learn from their mistakes but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it was Zidlicky. We'll have to live with a few mistakes but with the game on the line, they need to consciously tighten up.
6. Bruner is still very lost out there and I still don;t see how he fits within this system.
7. Havlat set up Elias quite a bit and played well. Have heard rumors Patty's nursing an injury (knee?) and he does look rather slow on the ice but he's not been quick in a while. He thrives on making smart plays and having good anticipation. He just looks more disinterested than his usual quiet calm and he seems to be missing by just a step - possibly a sign of age catching up with him a little.

That all sai, I think we get killed by washington 5-2 with Wash getting two power play goals. I'm hopeful and glad they won, but haven't seen anything to make me thing they're playing better - Cory just made a few stops and we won. When has to not make so many highlight reel saves, I'll start having more confidence.

Completely agree with all of this. Cory made lots of great saves and was the difference. I wish to God that he could have NOT given that shorthanded chance away to Carter so that he could have come out of this with a SO and just a sparkling game. Instead, we've still got a goofy question mark next to this game too. At least they didn't compound it by giving up a goal in the last minute.

I am impressed with Cammaleri all over the ice. Goal was nice, and play in general was great - but I loved the hustle getting back trying to get his stick on the ice. to break up the pass on the 2-on-1 (even thought he didn't).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I like Brunner. I think Ryder is a better option right now.. but Brunner is one of the only players on this team that can beat an opposing defensemen 1-on-1.

I just really don't like how he's put at the point on the PP. He should absolutely be on the half-boards.. that's such a natural position for him.

I think if Elias wasn't a corpse, Brunner-Elias-Havlat would work well together.

basically, I agree that he hasn't produced but IF we can get him going, that's something completely new we're adding to our team. Hell, bump Zubrus/Gionta/Bernier out of the lineup.. nothing wrong with that.

Why? Tell me why I need Zidlicky or Salvador on this team.

Give me the best 6 defensemen. I don't care if they are old or young. The best 6 give us the best shot to win every night and make the playoffs.

I think at this point in time, there's no argument to be made for Salvador over anyone else but Helgeson. I agree that Helgeson should be sent down if Salvador's role is dramatically reduced (i.e. almost to the level of Helgeson tonight).

Zidlicky? I think it's a toss-up between he and Gelinas. I think they both bring similar skills offensively. Zidlicky maybe more polished.. Gelinas probably higher end skill purely because of his shot. Defensively, they are both flawed. I'm fine with either one of the two.. which makes me want to just trade Zids so we can let a youngster develop. Hell, trade Gelinas if you want for an offensive prospect.. but I think that opens up a long-term hole.

You need to balance winning now and winning later. Can't be having kids sit at the expense of veterans when the veterans aren't that much better... if at all.

I just don't think Brunner has the hockey sense to get going. Yes he has the athletic capability to beat a defender 1-on-1, but mentally he doesn't seem to know how to properly do it. If it was AHL defenders maybe, but all a defender has to do is play back and conservative on him and he will eventually make to many moves and lose to the puck. Despite his speed he is a zero threat to blow by guys. With lack luster passing and finishing, and really weak board work he isn't much but an older Tedy.

I would love if he could do more, but I just am not seeing it. Ryder had more hockey sense, Ruutu is overall playing a better and smarter game, Zubs can't finish but can at least possess, along with Bernier which makes them good 4th liners. With a healthy Henrique (who I would put on Elias' wing) I see no spot for Brunner except as an extra.

I wouldn't trade him because I think he has no value on the market, where he has more value to us as an extra because no way everyone stays healthy. He is a decent fill in depth guy for top 6/9 work.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
I agree Brunner needs to sit a little bit. He was great for a couple of games when he got his first chance, but hasn't shown much lately. He's useless on the fourth, but should play in the top 9 when someone's out. He seems to be much better when he has something to prove.

A third line of Ruutu-Josefson-Ryder looks great on paper. Hopefully they'll try it out when Henrique is back on the second. Zubrus belongs with Gionta and Bernier/whoever. That's a role in which he is actually valuable to the team.

Schneider was great, but that goal he let in was just terrible. Apart from shooting the puck on goal, that was the worst place he could aim.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I agree Brunner needs to sit a little bit. He was great for a couple of games when he got his first chance, but hasn't shown much lately. He's useless on the fourth, but should play in the top 9 when someone's out. He seems to be much better when he has something to prove.

A third line of Ruutu-Josefson-Ryder looks great on paper. Hopefully they'll try it out when Henrique is back on the second. Zubrus belongs with Gionta and Bernier/whoever. That's a role in which he is actually valuable to the team.

Schneider was great, but that goal he let in was just terrible. Apart from shooting the puck on goal, that was the worst place he could aim.

It seems this is what will be tried when Henrique returns honestly.

He is the only forward playing right now that I sit for Henrique. Zubs looks fine in a 4th line role, Bernier has actually been decent, and Gio, Ruutu, and JJ are all playing more then well enough to stick in the line up (we know Gio is never going to sit).

Try a Henrique-Elias-Havlat line and see if that gets Elias going (though if he is actually hurt it won't matter).

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The problem with Brunner is it seems like he's always trying to dangle two or three defenders to score when he should just be shooting. He's got a good shot. I don't know why he doesn't use it more.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I like what Brunner brings, but more often than not, he leaves you face palming.

One guy I'd like to give credit to is Bernier, he has looked much better back in his strict 4th line role than when he was bouncing around the lineup last year. Seems like the demotion lit a fire under him.

Schneids played a hell of a game but man, I cannot remember a goalie being so unlucky with weird goals. I'm just glad it was Carter, it'll make it easier to laugh that one off.

Glad the bleeding has stopped. Now, I'd say give Cory Washington on Friday and Kinkaid Colorado on Saturday.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Completely agree with all of this. Cory made lots of great saves and was the difference. I wish to God that he could have NOT given that shorthanded chance away to Carter so that he could have come out of this with a SO and just a sparkling game. Instead, we've still got a goofy question mark next to this game too. At least they didn't compound it by giving up a goal in the last minute.

I am impressed with Cammaleri all over the ice. Goal was nice, and play in general was great - but I loved the hustle getting back trying to get his stick on the ice. to break up the pass on the 2-on-1 (even thought he didn't).

I agree I will say this the overall team defense has looked better from a zone coverage aspect past few games. It's the individual the mistakes that are being made that are costing them. Schneider made some brilliant stops last or this game was a toss up. I thought nj played ok. Other than Elias u thought most forwards came to play. Larsson is really starting to mature and in my opinion is the most steady of the young crop of d. Having Salvador out of this lineup does not hurt one ounce same goes for Ryan clowe no disrespect to either guy. But neither belong on an nhl ice surface

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
The problem with Brunner is it seems like he's always trying to dangle two or three defenders to score when he should just be shooting. He's got a good shot. I don't know why he doesn't use it more.

If we had normal team speed I wouldn't even want him here. The fact that he has above average speed makes him useful to nj

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Salvador hasn't been very good lately, but getting rid of him isn't going to magically fix the defense. They still allowed a ton of opportunities against tonight - the difference is Schneider was on his game.

getting rid of him and playing Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas, and Severson all over him definitely make the defense better.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008

I agree. But has anyone broken down the play that led to the 2-on-0? It would seem the most egregious error belonged to Gelinas who joined a rush as a third man but wayyy right of his proper position at left D. Where Cammy was on the ice when he recognizes the breakdown is unclear but he obviously tries like hell to cover but couldn't quite make it. Larsson, meanwhile, hesitates and gets caught in between (really his only glaring error last night, I thought, but almost costly) and allows his own man to get behind him.

Just a lot of fail for that type of breakdown when nursing a 1 goal lead and endemic of the team's struggles of late.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Al is pleased with the win and has changed his sign:

tv-married-with-children-massage-al-bundy_200s.gif

tumblr_m5p1o2A4gp1qdi85k.gif

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I enjoyed the play of Larsson and JJ. They finally both are showing they have talent. As for Elias, why are so many surprised by his play. He's getting older not younger. Not everyone can play until forty.

Last edited:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Looks like some people have some crow to eat on the Schneider call.

The Devils played a good game overall. The Wild were down an important player, but they still have a lot of talent.

I really like what I've seen of Ruutu and Josefson lately. Ruutu actually seems somewhat quick now.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

The Devils played a good game overall. The Wild were down an important player, but they still have a lot of talent.

I really like what I've seen of Ruutu and Josefson lately. Ruutu actually seems somewhat quick now.

Absolutely. I would've started Kinkaid if it was my call, but Cory stepped up his game. Even on another fluky bounce, he came up big with several saves that meant the difference between a win and a loss.

I still think he needs a break soon, and I'm sure he'll get it, but I am more than happy to be wrong in thinking he should have gotten it yesterday. I'm a big fan of Cory and I just want to see him succeed to the best of his abilities. I think this is a game that demonstrates his capability of being a big game goalie in the league.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

Brunner is the guy who swerves on the highway to not run over a bag of Burger King and ends up in oncoming traffic with two semis bearing down on him. Needs to look more than one move ahead when he starts free-wheeling it.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ

Funny how there was such a rush before the game to lambast "Dumboer" over this, then Cory goes out and is nearly flawless with some amazing saves, and all the couch coaches on here are almost nowhere to be found.. Human nature I suppose

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Ya Schneids played great but the criticism was not strictly about Schneids playing last night. The criticism is Schneid's starting every game so far this season, which as we all know, no other goalie in the league has done. And yeah good game last night, but overall he has not been good, so I don't think last night proves that this philosophy is working.

And the whole thing is compounded by Kink again sitting there game after game while the strarter struggles along.

Kink better get a start this weekend.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Funny how every other time Pete got ripped for playing Cory and Cory didn't have a good game there was no crow eating the other way.

I wasn't even one of the ones killing the overplaying of Cory till last night but it's not like it hasn't been a topic here before. It only reached critical mass cause of Cory's own comments after the Boston game, playing a fourth game in six nights in four cities and getting yanked on two of the previous three games. I mean, bad decisions sometimes work too.

DevilinDC

Mar 22, 2014
Wait, what?
Now I can agree that Cory played a phenomenal, awesome, incredible game.
But there's no crow to be eaten with playing him last night.
It was a gamble and it worked out, but in the past 4/5 games he's not played very well. I'm worried about Schneider, and I know I'm not the only one. One game in five/six isn't something to write home about. He's got to do this consistently.
Yes, people will bring up the team leaving him hung out to dry over the past couple of games. They did it again a couple of times last night.
The difference? Last night he played like he should have.
I wouldn't have faulted the coach if he played Kinkaid last night, and I don't think it would have been the wrong call given what we've seen over the past couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad