GDT: Wild @ Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Cory was great last night. I just wish he wouldn't touch the puck. Whenever he does he seem's to get into trouble. And sooner our later they are going to have to play Kinkaid. Cory will need a rest and we have to see what Kinkaid has to offer.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I like Brunner. I think Ryder is a better option right now.. but Brunner is one of the only players on this team that can beat an opposing defensemen 1-on-1.

I just really don't like how he's put at the point on the PP. He should absolutely be on the half-boards.. that's such a natural position for him.

I think if Elias wasn't a corpse, Brunner-Elias-Havlat would work well together.

basically, I agree that he hasn't produced but IF we can get him going, that's something completely new we're adding to our team. Hell, bump Zubrus/Gionta/Bernier out of the lineup.. nothing wrong with that.

Brunner isn't much of a play maker. When he's playing with confidence he shoots from anyway, when he's not he'll make a lot of poor passes when he's in a better position to score. I bet DeBoer sees him as a trigger man which is why he's on the point.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ya Schneids played great but the criticism was not strictly about Schneids playing last night. The criticism is Schneid's starting every game so far this season, which as we all know, no other goalie in the league has done. And yeah good game last night, but overall he has not been good, so I don't think last night proves that this philosophy is working.

And the whole thing is compounded by Kink again sitting there game after game while the strarter struggles along.

Kink better get a start this weekend.

Especially after they kept him in Albany all of October specifically to get game action. Now he's not getting game action so what was the point of bringing him up? It's just more goofy roster management.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Why? Tell me why I need Zidlicky or Salvador on this team.

Give me the best 6 defensemen. I don't care if they are old or young. The best 6 give us the best shot to win every night and make the playoffs.

I think at this point in time, there's no argument to be made for Salvador over anyone else but Helgeson. I agree that Helgeson should be sent down if Salvador's role is dramatically reduced (i.e. almost to the level of Helgeson tonight).

Zidlicky? I think it's a toss-up between he and Gelinas. I think they both bring similar skills offensively. Zidlicky maybe more polished.. Gelinas probably higher end skill purely because of his shot. Defensively, they are both flawed. I'm fine with either one of the two.. which makes me want to just trade Zids so we can let a youngster develop. Hell, trade Gelinas if you want for an offensive prospect.. but I think that opens up a long-term hole.

You need to balance winning now and winning later. Can't be having kids sit at the expense of veterans when the veterans aren't that much better... if at all.

I agree with the first bolded statement - let's play the best six. But the second bolded statement I don't agree with. You are contradicting yourself a bit. Experience is absolutely valuable. It's a reason why defensemen develop later. Many defensemen talk about "letting the game come to them" vs. chasing the puck as something they learn over time. So, let's play the best six, and tie in ability goes to the veteran as they have the experience. Potential is great, but the youngsters need to show they are using it. If they are better than the veterans, they should get time.

As you said - we need to balance winning now vs. winning later, giving players time because they are younger (and may have more potential) but are actually not as good is not a good balance in my opinion.

GhostofKenKlee

One thing for the Bench Veterans crowd is that both Zidlicky and Salvador are UFA at the end of season. Greene could be the only veteran on the team next season on defense.

I can't see how anyone has been complaining about signing Mike C. Nice to see guys like Helgelson come up and play and not hurt the team. This is ain't No Alex Brooks.

Also, Cory is probably getting the stress test. I like that DeBoer let Cory play much like what coaches uses to do with Marty. I wouldn't be shocked if an experienced Backup was brought in at some point that knows his role.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So the lesson from last night is that you can replace Salvador with an AHL defenseman in his first ever NHL game and your D will improve. :laugh:

Last edited:

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Pete would have gotten absolutely blasted if Cory played terrible last night and we lost. People would have not wanted him to leave Newark still having his job.

He showed stones and made a decision most people and probably many of his peers would not have made, and stuck with Cory. That decision was the reason we got out of that game last night with 2 big points and ended a 4 game losing streak. He deserves a ton of credit.

Whether you still think it to be a curious move or not, it's further proof that decisions made by coaches/management are based on more information of the situation and the player than we have. If you don't think that had a lot to do with Deboer deciding to stick with Cory then you're fooling yourself.

So damning a decision prior to seeing how it plays out is pointless.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Pete would have gotten absolutely blasted if Cory played terrible last night and we lost. People would have not wanted him to leave Newark still having his job.

He showed stones and made a decision most people and probably many of his peers would not have made, and stuck with Cory. That decision was the reason we got out of that game last night with 2 big points and ended a 4 game losing streak. He deserves a ton of credit.

Whether you still think it to be a curious move or not, it's further proof that decisions made by coaches/management are based on more information of the situation and the player than we have. If you don't think that had a lot to do with Deboer deciding to stick with Cory then you're fooling yourself.

So damning a decision prior to seeing how it plays out is pointless.

Hindsight is a nice thing. I still don't agree with the decision of starting Cory last night, but obviously he was the reason we won so I don't hate the outcome. But the whole reason Kinkaid was brought up, supposedly, was because now the schedule is getting heavy and Pete can't just roll with Cory every night like October. However Pete is still reluctant to play Kinkaid for some reason. The schedule is really picking up now, we're going to have a third straight back-to-back and I wouldn't put it past Pete to play Cory both games.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So the lesson from last night is that you can replace Salvador with an AHL defenseman in his first ever NHL game and your D will improve. :laugh:

The AHL Defesneman barely played 6 minutes the entire game...That means other players absorbed those minutes.

This team is incredibly easy to play against...Their entire defense and forwards are soft. You don't need "a gritty" defesneman or forward as long as you have players willing to take the body and almost none of the Devils play that sort of game - there is very little to no power in the entire lineup...An no Salvador is NOT the answer to that problem.

A physical player doesn't mean a grinder -- It is someone who is willing and able to separate a puck carrier from the puck or power through a check...Sidney Crosby is tougher than any of our forwards and that is sad.

And another thing...This idea of the "best"...

"the 6 best" - "The 23 best" is how you construct a fantasy team not a real team. You need roles to be filled. You need a balance and various skill sets.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The AHL Defesneman barely played 6 minutes the entire game...That means other players absorbed those minutes.

This team is incredibly easy to play against...Their entire defense and forwards are soft. You don't need "a gritty" defesneman or forward as long as you have players willing to take the body and almost none of the Devils play that sort of game - there is very little to no power in the entire lineup...An no Salvador is NOT the answer to that problem.

A physical player doesn't mean a grinder -- It is someone who is willing and able to separate a puck carrier from the puck or power through a check...Sidney Crosby is tougher than any of our forwards and that is sad.

And another thing...This idea of the "best"...

"the 6 best" - "The 23 best" is how you construct a fantasy team not a real team. You need roles to be filled. You need a balance and various skill sets.

you continue to post this, yet completely ignore the fact that the Penalty Kill, which is Salvador's (apparent) strength, has been atrocious. I believe he has been on the ice for 50% of the goals against this year overall, or more.

you can talk about roles being filled but if the player filling the role is abysmal, why not try something different?

NJD Kula

THE SPITFIRES LINE
Jan 16, 2009
По&#1082
www.rshl.org
Salvador being injured is what won the game. Otherwise instead of Hulkesons **** deflecting in off Ruutu it's Salvadork's shot deflecting off a defender as a breakaway on Cory.

Then on the PK instead of killing 4/4 it's 2/4 and the Devils lose 3-0.

I think Pete was ready to play Kink but when he realized the anchor was out with an injury that he could boost Cory's confidence with a likely win.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Hindsight is a nice thing. I still don't agree with the decision of starting Cory last night, but obviously he was the reason we won so I don't hate the outcome. But the whole reason Kinkaid was brought up, supposedly, was because now the schedule is getting heavy and Pete can't just roll with Cory every night like October. However Pete is still reluctant to play Kinkaid for some reason. The schedule is really picking up now, we're going to have a third straight back-to-back and I wouldn't put it past Pete to play Cory both games.

When Kinkaid was brought up, you don't anticipate a 4 game losing streak. And then when one happens, plans tend to change.

Playing a young goalie, with about 3 periods of NHL experience, against a good team, when we've lost 4 in a row and are desperate for a win, honestly, to me would have been more curious a decision than going with your best guy who has played every game, but that being only 15 of them.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
When Kinkaid was brought up, you don't anticipate a 4 game losing streak. And then when one happens, plans tend to change.

Playing a young goalie, with about 3 periods of NHL experience, against a good team, when we've lost 4 in a row and are desperate for a win, honestly, to me would have been more curious a decision than going with your best guy who has played every game, but that being only 15 of them.

Cory played average at best during that 4 game losing streak. He was bound to bounce back but on the 2nd night of a back-to-back, after travelling as well, why start him again? Shake it up, maybe the team would have played with more fire in front of a rookie goalie.

Hard for the kid to get NHL experience when, despite several good opportunities to start, Pete refuses to give him the nod. Now if we go on a winning streak the narrative will be "Why take Cory out when he's playing good and the team is winning." It's always going to be some excuse, but he can't start every game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
you continue to post this, yet completely ignore the fact that the Penalty Kill, which is Salvador's (apparent) strength, has been atrocious. I believe he has been on the ice for 50% of the goals against this year overall, or more.

you can talk about roles being filled but if the player filling the role is abysmal, why not try something different?

I don't even know to respond to this it so absurd...If you think Salvador is the "problem" with the PK you really don't know what you are watching.

Geee, the guy who plays 80% of the PK is on the ice for 50% of the goals...Imagine that! And Andy Greene stats are significantly worse than Salavador 4v5 -- PK is very much a team function and one player by himself is not going to make a team go from best to worst no matter what.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Cory played average at best during that 4 game losing streak. He was bound to bounce back but on the 2nd night of a back-to-back, after travelling as well, why start him again? Shake it up, maybe the team would have played with more fire in front of a rookie goalie.

Hard for the kid to get NHL experience when, despite several good opportunities to start, Pete refuses to give him the nod. Now if we go on a winning streak the narrative will be "Why take Cory out when he's playing good and the team is winning." It's always going to be some excuse, but he can't start every game.

You start him again for the exact reason he showed last night. He's our best goalie and we need a win.

As Dano said last night, it's much easier to play a kid like Kinkaid when you've won a few games in a row than when you've lost a few games in a row. Kinkaid will play. And likely, very soon.

In situations where we need our best, we better be able to depend on our best as long as he's healthy. As a coach you need to know that you can. Even the players need to know that they can. Schneider proved that last night.

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010
I don't even know to respond to this it so absurd...If you think Salvador is the "problem" with the PK you really don't know what you are watching.

Geee, the guy who plays 80% of the PK is on the ice for 50% of the goals...Imagine that! And Andy Greene stats are significantly worse than Salavador 4v5 -- PK is very much a team function and one player by himself is not going to make a team go from best to worst no matter what.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

What about 5v5? Cause Sal certainly isn't as good as Greene there.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
You start him again for the exact reason he showed last night. He's our best goalie and we need a win.

As Dano said last night, it's much easier to play a kid like Kinkaid when you've won a few games in a row than when you've lost a few games in a row. Kinkaid will play. And likely, very soon.

In situations where we need our best, we better be able to depend on our best as long as he's healthy. As a coach you need to know that you can. Even the players need to know that they can. Schneider proved that last night.

Fine. Fair. I still don't agree with the decision. Here's a good look at goalie save percentage when playing the the second night of back-to-backs:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...a-flyers-goaltending-stats-back-to-back-games

Percentages just indicate probability, so in this case Pete went with his read of the player and against the broad trends. And, it worked out for him. If Pete can make these kinds of calls consistently, my hat is off to him.

However, this is the type of situation where the eye test is generally worse than looking at the stats. Of course you want to believe in your star. Of course you want to give your #1 an opportunity to work his way out of the slump. However, I think what Pete did was the opposite: he put Cory in a position in which he was unlikely to succeed as a way of "boosting his confidence". It worked this time, but I'm not sure that's a winning formula.

GhostofKenKlee

PK is a mess this season. Losing Volchenkov is a part of the reason. You gain something and lose something dropping Anton. Block shots and PK, he didn't get enough credit around these parts for that part of his game. Same goes for Carter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad