"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
curious about the total hits.
jets didn't look like they were laying on the body

IMG_0961.jpg

Reactions: HannuJ

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Jets out hit them 26-19 ... out shot them ... more PPs .... Wild got better goaltending and more bounces.

And better quality chances. We had a couple but there were a lot of shots from the outside. Wild were fantastic at getting their sticks in lanes and cutting off passes. Our PP was completely shut down.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
That was a head shot all day , Trouba's head was turned from Foligno's shoulder hitting it . If Buff did that he would be getting suspended , no doubt in my mind .
Naturally didn't see it as a dirty hit live & the pro-Wild announcers were doing their best to say what a great hit it was. BUT, the sheer speed that he came into that hit with, then shoving his shoulder up & into Trouba's head - wow. That had "see you next year" written all over it if it had turned out the way Foligno had it planned. That and the Myers crap - What an absolute POS.

Last edited:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
There’s been way too much focus on the Myers play. I don’t know what you could suspend Fologno for there.

This hit on Trouba however was an intentional targeting of the head.

Yep, this hit is way worse. If Trouba leaves the game, Foligno is suspended at least one game if not more. The league needs to do better. FFS they made a rule to take those predatory high hits out of the game. If they don’t call penalties in game they’ll never leave and we’ll lose star players to concussions.

That’s a charge for sure, and the only point of contact is shoulder to head. Even if Trouba kept skating it’s a high hit. Definition of predatory. Guy doesn’t even know where the puck is.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Refs dictated play in the first, and the Jets backed off. Wild took advantage of the room and took the game. We can only hope the league reminds these refs that it's the playoffs hockey.

Refereeing should be identical in the regular season and the playoffs.

Refereeing last night was just plain bad. A good ref doesn't maintain control by calling bad penalties and then ignoring blatant attempts to inflict injuries later. Just call the game properly and consistently.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree. Jets didn't play well, but the Wild got a lot of good bounces, and Hellebuyck was mediocre.

If Hellebuyck had been mediocre it would have been a game. Mediocre would have seen 3 fewer goals in the 2nd period.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Watching the Caps/BJs game, and already there were 5 hits/plays that would have been penalties in the Jets/Wild game... but weren't called, because hey - PLAYOFFS.

Do you actually believe that biasing the results of playoffs in favour of less talented teams is a good thing? Or are you just stating that it will happen?

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
Do you actually believe that biasing the results of playoffs in favour of less talented teams is a good thing? Or are you just stating that it will happen?

I'm saying the officials in the game decided they wanted to insert themselves into the narrative and the result was that the Jets were unable to play a physical game, which favoured the weaker team.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I’m not exactly sure what I just watched. The only way I can make sense out of it is that it was a combination of a lot of things.
Travel
Lots of bounces going Minnesota’s way
We stopped skating
Refs calling a completely different game
Hellebuyck not as sharp as usual
Overconfidence
Desperate Minnesota team

Whatever it was, it sure wasn’t pretty.

I don’t understand how home ice advantage can turn a completely dominated AHL looking team into a totally dominant team in 48 hours.

Minny did not dominate us in that game. Not even remotely close. They dominated won the first period due to the weird reffing. They dominated on the score board only in the second due to Helle channeling Pavelec.

I don't think any Jet can be proud of that game but no way were they dominated except on the scoreboard. They will be much better next game, I have no doubt.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm saying the officials in the game decided they wanted to insert themselves into the narrative and the result was that the Jets were unable to play a physical game, which favoured the weaker team.

You said it was "playoffs". Do you think it is normal for the refs to want to be the stars of the game in the playoffs more so than in the regular season? Was that bad reffing because it was a playoff game? Or was it just bad reffing? :)

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Naturally didn't see it as a dirty hit live & the pro-Wild announcers were doing their best to say what a great hit it was. BUT, the sheer speed that he came into that hit with, then shoving his shoulder up & into Trouba's head - wow. That had "see you next year" written all over it if it had turned out the way Foligno had it planned. That and the Myers crap - What an absolute POS.

And remember, Kypreos spoke APPROVINGLY of this hit.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think discipline as a problem tonight considering the Jets had more PPs. I disagree. I have no problem with Chiarot sitting in the PB for 5 minutes to make Foligno answer for his actions.

Yeah but Lowry is giving that interview right after the game ended, he likely has not see any replays. I thought the play was clean too until I saw the replays on twitter. They never showed a compromising replay of the incident on the broadcast.

It looked strange to me at the time, but I couldn't figure out why. I can understand refs missing some calls, to point. Things happen very fast and they don't get to use the slo-mo replays. They are supposed to be a lot better at it than I am though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Foligno's hit on Trouba was shoulder on head. The way it's ruled by the DOPS is "principle point of contact", well Foligno got nothing but head there. If Doughty got suspended for a game Foligno should get 2. Straight up looks like he's targeting the head the entire way in and raises his shoulder into it.

That's how it looked to me. Foligno had his instructions and carried them out. I think it is Boudreau who is the dirty POS. Do D'men line up at LW without instructions?

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
You said it was "playoffs". Do you think it is normal for the refs to want to be the stars of the game in the playoffs more so than in the regular season? Was that bad reffing because it was a playoff game? Or was it just bad reffing? :)

It was bad reffing, but magnified in the playoffs where there has always been more room for physical play and the like. The roughing penalty on Lowry was just as bad as the roughing call on Dumba, but overall limiting the physical aspect of the game penalized the Jets' style of play more than the Wild's.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It was bad reffing, but magnified in the playoffs where there has always been more room for physical play and the like. The roughing penalty on Lowry was just as bad as the roughing call on Dumba, but overall limiting the physical aspect of the game penalized the Jets' style of play more than the Wild's.

You can still play fast and physical without the pushing and shoving after the whistle. If you want to get to your opponent the best way is to skate your ass off, draw penalties, hit when appropriate and win the game.

Just walk away from those scrums. We are big and fast and talented. Just use that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad