Post-Game Talk: Wild Defend "Their Ice" In Game 3 - Jets Lose 6-2

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Honestly, I didn't think the Jets played as poorly as people are saying. I think we had a few bad bounces, Helle was kind of off. Sure, that wasn't our A game but combine the first two with a desperate Wild team, and thats what you get.

Wild are pretty dirty, time to up the physicality again. Buff wasn't as dominant as in Winnipeg but that level of play has to be very hard to keep up.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Called it in 5 but was really hoping for a sweep.
Helle had a weak game but so did the rest of the team.
I hope Myers is ready for Tuesday...not good missing half of our starting D.
I thought Morrissey and Trouba played well as did Lowry's line.
The Wild had their backs to the wall and came through. They didn't want to go down 3-0 and showed it.
Dubnyk has not played as well as I thought he would to be honest...neither has Staal.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Honestly, I didn't think the Jets played as poorly as people are saying. I think we had a few bad bounces, Helle was kind of off. Sure, that wasn't our A game but combine the first two with a desperate Wild team, and thats what you get.

Wild are pretty dirty, time to up the physicality again. Buff wasn't as dominant as in Winnipeg but that level of play has to be very hard to keep up.
I don't think Buff will have any problems keeping up his level of play. He's been the best player on either team since the series started and I don't expect that to change.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Coach didn't prepare them, or the lack of playoff experience on display - maybe a bit of both. You beat em bad at home so you figure you can toss your sticks on the ice and chalk up a win? Every game will be a battle.

The good news is Helle is not as bad as today, and it's only one loss - put it in the rear view mirror. But game 4 is huge now. We need to play it like a game 7. Myers health also becomes a big factor and evens these two teams out a lot if his injury keeps him out. Fingers crossed he is ok.

Go Jets Goi!

I'm a Myers fan but the way he's been playing defensively I don't think Poolman in for Myers is such a significant reduction that it somehow evens the playing field.

Trouba has to start playing like the Trouba before the injury - he hasn't been bad but he certainly is not physically as dominant as he was (I'm guessing his ankle is still bugging him - it will till next year most likely.

We need to get Enstrom back... any word on Kulikov?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't think Buff will have any problems keeping up his level of play. He's been the best player on either team since the series started and I don't expect that to change.
Well he didn't last night.

I was talking the extremely physical - dominant play. That has to be exhausting.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He still got some licks in just not the show stoppers like the first two games.
When he's on the ice, those Minny forwards have their heads on a swivel.
Who is the biggest guy in the league that has as soft hands as Buff? Such a unique player.

Reactions: Jets 31

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'm a Myers fan but the way he's been playing defensively I don't think Poolman in for Myers is such a significant reduction that it somehow evens the playing field.

Trouba has to start playing like the Trouba before the injury - he hasn't been bad but he certainly is not physically as dominant as he was (I'm guessing his ankle is still bugging him - it will till next year most likely.

I don't think Kuli is skating yet and Enstrom is with the team. It wouldn't surprise me to see Enstrom start next game regardless of whether Myers plays or not.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Sorry, I've watched all the angles multiple times and don't see Foligno making contact with Trouba's head. I do see Foligno pushing Trouba's stick into the boards and Trouba being pulled with it because he doesn't let go of it.

The Foligno punch to Myers' knee OTOH is dirty AF.

You didn't see Foligno making contact with Trouba's head? That's the only part of Trouba's body he connects with.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
You didn't see Foligno making contact with Trouba's head? That's the only part of Trouba's body he connects with.

Foligno was a half an inch away from knocking Trouba out for the rest of this series and half of the next one. He'll try and do better next time.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
No, I don't see any contact with Trouba's head. Trouba sees the hit coming and holds up. Watch it from the angle shot from the corner. Like I said before, all I see is Trouba being vigorously twisted because he doesn't let go of his damn stick. In fact it's so vigorous that his stick breaks in half.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I think the defense was really good for games 1 and 2 , everyone was off yesterday . Besides if Enstrom or Kulikov are not 100% i don't want them to come back until round 2 because both have been out so long . It would be really hard for them to jump into game 4 of the playoffs like that .

None

Feb 22, 2012
No, I don't see any contact with Trouba's head. Trouba sees the hit coming and holds up. Watch it from the angle shot from the corner. Like I said before, all I see is Trouba being vigorously twisted because he doesn't let go of his damn stick. In fact it's so vigorous that his stick breaks in half.

Trouba's stick is in his left arm on the opposite side of contact. Trouba's head is already turned before Foligno has any contact with his stick. I don't see what you're seeing.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The fact of the matter is, whether there was contact or not, he tried to take Trouba's head off. I'm beginning to get a Kesler type hate on for this guy.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
The fact of the matter is, whether there was contact or not, he tried to take Trouba's head off. I'm beginning to get a Kesler type hate on for this guy.

I think his shoulder glanced off Trouba's visor. It was close to potentially ending the playoffs of both Trouba and Foligno.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Trouba's stick is in his left arm on the opposite side of contact. Trouba's head is already turned before Foligno has any contact with his stick. I don't see what you're seeing.
I know what you're saying. All I'm saying is that it looks to me like Trouba saw the hit coming and stopped short and turned his head to get it out of the way. The entire hit sequence only looks violent because Trouba gets pulled hard into the boards because he doesn't let go of his stick that's being slammed into the boards by Foligno's body. Either way I'm sure we can both agree that it was a huge relief to see Trouba skate away with no (visible) ill effects.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Trouba has been more than fine so far. Him and Morrissey are crushing their matchups. Can't ask for much more than being above a 60% CF in each game so far especially when Moe is trying to get them out against the opposition's best night in and night out.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Crappy game but as people have mentioned teams down 2-0 coming home play their best and we couldnt match it. I think the first few penalty calls (on the Jets and Wild) made us back off and the Wild didnt. We won the first 2 games because we were physical and we hit everything in sight. Game 3 - we didnt and the Wild did. Also I think the Wild had the 2nd best home record in the west (after us) so we knew this was going to be a tough series. I picked Jets in 6 so still nothing to worry about.

Reactions: suihkukone

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Not our best game. Hoping for a bounce back next game.

Which will work out perfectly, since I'll have tickets for game 5, and watch the Jets winning the series 4-1 ;)

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
What do Kesler and Foligno have in common ... both were coached by the guy.

It's no excuse but the Jets routine was changed with the travel delayed their intensity was not the same as the first 2 games. I can't see the puck bouncing the Wild's way for 4 straight games.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I love how Garry Galley pumped that clown Foligno up, down and sideways towards the end of the game that he was such a class act, great teammate and gentleman. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Galley was getting an envelope of crisp bills from Wild owners before each game.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I recall Bob McKenzie a few weeks ago saying that the Jets, like most PO teams, will hit a big bump and how they handle that bump will determine their fortunes. This seems to be very prophetic.......

I don't think he is the only one who knows this. I have been saying it for months. Nobody is ever going to go 16-0 in the playoffs. In fact it was one reason I tracked the "fake playoffs"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad