Post-Game Talk: Wild def. Canucks - 3-2 (Chiasson, Horvat)

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I've watched hockey long enough to see that this is just not a hard working team. Your best players are what define your team identity. Our best players see themselves as skill guys and want to live and die "making plays." But that's not a substitute hard work. Relative to the competition, they're just not committed enough to winning puck battles or being hard on pucks and it shows in their performance pretty much every night.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I've watched hockey long enough to see that this is just not a hard working team. Your best players are what define your team identity. Our best players see themselves as skill guys and want to live and die "making plays." But that's not a substitute hard work. Relative to the competition, they're just not committed enough to winning puck battles or being hard on pucks and it shows in their performance pretty much every night.
Very interesting comment about working. I don't see the group as a bunch of players unwilling to work. I see a bunch of players who haven't been instructed to do anything other than "work hard".

They don't work smart. That's the problem.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Very interesting comment about working. I don't see the group as a bunch of players unwilling to work. I see a bunch of players who haven't been instructed to do anything other than "work hard".

They also don’t work hard in many cases…like back checking. It’s like a team of Hodgsons at times. If there is a chance to score the effort level is high. If it’s a chance to prevent a goal well they might have better things to do. And also like Hodgkin they’ll stand still doing nothing and wonder why the opposition just blew past them.

Reactions: Hit the post

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
This team needs a Babcock to whip them into real structure and shape. Maybe not actual Babcock but honestly would be better than Green

I'd take Babcock after it became clear that Marner deserved everything he got. He's a flake. Babcock identified it early and tried to fix him.

Reactions: Indiana

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018

When they have the puck they just sort of float around, usually wanting to slow the play down, and get by making low percentage passes because they think they're skilled enough to play that way. Almost nobody is moving their feet and giving the puck carrier good options for high percentage passes. On defense they just look slow to react and get beat to loose pucks constantly.

There's a general lack of intensity in their play that's evident when they try to manage the puck. At times they can't settle a puck down or make a pass, and just flub possession shift after shift, while a lone forechecker is able to swat pucks out of the air and make a play like the puck is magnetized to their stick.

I'm sure a better coach would sort this out pretty quickly by insisting they simplify their game, and then let their skill be the cherry on top of a solid foundation (sorry for mixing metaphors).

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
When they have the puck they just sort of float around, usually wanting to slow the play down, and get by making low percentage passes because they think they're skilled enough to play that way. Almost nobody is moving their feet and giving the puck carrier good options for high percentage passes. On defense they just look slow to react and get beat to loose pucks constantly.

There's a general lack of intensity in their play that's evident when they try to manage the puck. At times they can't settle a puck down or make a pass, and just flub possession shift after shift, while a lone forechecker is able to swat pucks out of the air and make a play like the puck is magnetized to their stick.

I'm sure a better coach would sort this out pretty quickly by insisting they simplify their game, and then let their skill be the cherry on top of a solid foundation (sorry for mixing metaphors).
The lack of intensity probably comes from the fact that our breakout and defensive system sucks so it requires the players to be either perfect or be constantly chasing. If you are constantly chasing play like all the damn time X 82 games X 5 seasons, it’s very human to say f*** this shit.

Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
The lack of intensity probably comes from the fact that our breakout and defensive system sucks so it requires the players to be either perfect or be constantly chasing. If you are constantly chasing play like all the damn time X 82 games X 5 seasons, it’s very human to say f*** this shit.

Yes, coaching is at the root of the issue. It's up to them to get the team motivated and organized to play up to their potential. My eyes tell me the opposition is the more invested team, more often than not. It's demoralizing to watch as a fan.

Think back to the Blackhawks when they were good. They played with a ton of pace and didn't have to make many of those "hope" passes that are the hallmark of the Canucks skilled guys. They were constantly in motion, making quick decisions, and generally made a lot of wide open 15 foot passes. Tons of puck support.

Being skilled doesn't mean you don't have to match your opponents intensity. It's the NHL, everyone is skilled and works their asses off.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

I thought every player skated pretty hard yesterday as well.

Like, maybe Boeser didn’t look like he was fully going? Poolman?

It was a pretty good effort. We just stunk. Which is scary.

Reactions: geebaan

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
What is the identity of the this team ignoring green? Like honestly what is it built to do? Whats its style? Something i have been asking myself a lot this year and last year. Honestly cannot tell what this team is supposed to be stylistically, but i do know green is not the fit.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I thought every player skated pretty hard yesterday as well.

Like, maybe Boeser didn’t look like he was fully going? Poolman?

It was a pretty good effort. We just stunk. Which is scary.

I thought Hoglander, Garland, Miller (at times), Myers, Bailey, Burroughs, OEL all looked like they were invested and playing with a purpose. Pretty much everyone else looked floaty and indecisive to me, for the most part.

It's a fair point by arttk that a lack of system is making players indecisive. The lack of good passing options makes players take a wait and see approach as they hope a better option will appear. And when nothing does they end up settling for a stale, low percentage pass.

Failure to clear the zone, even when there's very little pressure is maddening to watch. They crumble under even a light forecheck. I'm sure they've been told to "make a play" no matter what the circumstances, but sometimes you just got to chip the puck into a more favorable part of the rink and fight a battle there.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Also good luck enticing Babcock to take on this tire fire of a franchise...
He's collecting $5.8M for the next two years from The Leafs...Not certain, but getting another NHL coaching job would probably void that.

I have zero interest in having him coach the Canucks.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I know bruce boudreaus defensive structure was bad but man I would kill to have a veteran nhl coach at this point
Youd figure the guy eventually has learned how to win some games in the playoffs, right? Im desperate Id take him or Babcock or Torts or Willie D... maybe not those last two lol

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I wouldn't want Babcock. He was outstanding with a veteran team but mishandled and embarrassed the young Maple Leafs to a point where he has to do a lot of reforming where I'd even think multiple times about considering him.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I know bruce boudreaus defensive structure was bad but man I would kill to have a veteran nhl coach at this point

He's no Barry Trotz, but his defensive results during the regular season have been far better than Green. Other than one 20th place season in ga, his 2nd worse is 12th since 2014.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad