Post-Game Talk: Wild def. Canucks - 3-2 (Chiasson, Horvat)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rather concerning 60 mins, especially since Minnesota wasn't even playing particularly well. Plenty of giveaways, Zuccarello was ok, Kaprizov was nowhere near his best, Fiala was straight up bad.
But Minnesota looked more cohesive overall and they have better goaltending than many of the teams we've played.
Without demko this game is probably not quite as close, but it was a winnable game with a better effort.
Wild fan here. Have to agree with the above, and also mention that the Vancouver PK was really good. Our depth forwards like Sturm and Duhaime are sneaky good.

Have to go back to the playoff series that we had in 2020, and wonder what happened to THAT Canucks team, that was dangerous, fast, could score quickly, and seemed to be full of young talented players that could only get better. Wild were a good team then (with better D than now), but you guys killed us with speed and talent.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Wild fan here. Have to agree with the above, and also mention that the Vancouver PK was really good. Our depth forwards like Sturm and Duhaime are sneaky good.

Have to go back to the playoff series that we had in 2020, and wonder what happened to THAT Canucks team, that was dangerous, fast, could score quickly, and seemed to be full of young talented players that could only get better. Wild were a good team then (with better D than now), but you guys killed us with speed and talent.
That Vancouver team just had a good start in what was borderline preseason level hockey (games after 6 months off, no camp, one warm up game etc).

If Vancouver doesn’t score off the rush chances they hardly threaten the other team.

Watching the way your team is coached and how everyone is in place and there are set attacks through the neutral zone make me super jealous. The wild clearly operate in a system where as the Canucks just play pond hockey.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That Vancouver team just had a good start in what was borderline preseason level hockey (games after 6 months off, no camp, one warm up game etc).

If Vancouver doesn’t score off the rush chances they hardly threaten the other team.

Watching the way your team is coached and how everyone is in place and there are set attacks through the neutral zone make me super jealous. The wild clearly operate in a system where as the Canucks just play pond hockey.
I also think that VAN could use a guy Brodin on the backend. Defensive, but mobile, and rock solid. Edler used to be that guy.

MN is a better than average team, but not special. They will be lucky to win one playoff series. Kaprizov's no show so far is worrying, but I guess you guys know what that is about with EP.

Used to live in BC, btw, both on the mainland and the island.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Been saying that for years. When they try to take a more conservative approach they are unable to generate anything while still managing to have brutal errors on the defensive side of the puck (just less of them). When they play aggressive hockey they hemorrhage chances against.

You just aren’t going to win many games carrying a 40% scoring chance share at ES. And that’s not a new problem…they are dead last in the league over the last half decade in this area.

That’s pretty much why this does go beyond coaching. It’s a combo of deplorable coaching and general roster ability. I mean there isn’t a system in a world that tells players to throw pizzas up the middle, turn the puck over at the offensive blueline and have back checkers coast on an odd man rush against. As great as the Horvat goal was that pretty much illustrates the issue with the team 5-on-5: They are dependent on a couple players making a great play at the same time. They don’t really generate chances as a team.

There also isn’t another coach in the world that puts offensive black holes throughout the entire lineup who then wonders why plays die before they even get started. On the odd chance they manage to be in position to make plays.

At the end of the day, the core isn’t really that good. You have 4 purely offensive players in Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, and Miller that lack a two-way game and really lag and suffer in the defensive zone. You constantly see these players either cheating to center ice, lapsing or shutting off which creates breakdowns down low. We have no elite two-way players, we also have a bottom 6 that cannot do anything remotely productive at both ends of the ice. The only purpose they serve is to just eat up ice time and hope they don’t get scored on.

We have no defensive defensemen that can read and anticipate what the forwards are doing. Tanev, Edler and Stetcher at least had synergy and saw success disrupting zone entries at the blueline. The “system” Green employs seems to revolve around backing the blueline into their own hash and allowing the offense to gain easy entry into the zone, while the forwards are at center ice. It’s the dumbest ass thing I have seen in my 30 years of playing and watching this sport.

That brings me back to coaching. Not only does this team suffer from a lack of system and structure but player development continues to suck. You cannot point to one player on the team that has gotten better under this dinosaur. It’s mind-boggling how poor this franchises player development has been in the past few years as you have seen many rookies come in and either flatline or regress under Green. It will be really interesting to track how Garland does under Green, because this is a new addition that has been the lone bright spot on offense thus far into the season...

Goaltending has masked the fact that this is a bottom 10 team (maybe a bottom 5 team). It will continue to mask this until Demko goes down from the intense workload.

Oddly enough you see something similar happening with the Seattle Seahawks in the NFL. An absolute dinosaur in Pete Carrol has been employed for 10 years only because his star QB has carried the team to respectable results while the Carrol has decimated the teams future and made awful personnel decisions.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I also think that VAN could use a guy Brodin on the backend. Defensive, but mobile, and rock solid. Edler used to be that guy.

MN is a better than average team, but not special. They will be lucky to win one playoff series. Kaprizov's no show so far is worrying, but I guess you guys know what that is about with EP.

Used to live in BC, btw, both on the mainland and the island.
OEL is handling Edlers minutes so far. They truly miss Tanev who I believe is more similar to Brodin anyways.

Their hope is in Hamonic but I see him as a Poolman upgrade not on Tanev’s level.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
"they got a good team"

Real English majors, these head coaches.
It’s funny they think the dumber they talk the smarter and manlier they sound.

Green basically admitted he’s a bad coach because they shouldn’t be any faster than his team but looked “quicker”. That’s because they have an idea what to do and where to be. Travis should try instilling that.

Reactions: Indiana

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
The thing with the Canucks is that they suck. And they will always disappoint you.

Even when they had better coaching and management and players.... they disappointed in the clutch.

Now they don't have any of those things... so get ready for failure.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It’s funny they think the dumber they talk the smarter and manlier they sound.

Green basically admitted he’s a bad coach because they shouldn’t be any faster than his team but looked “quicker”. That’s because they have an idea what to do and where to be. Travis should try instilling that.

LOL looked quicker. Man I hate this "brain"trust. Yes because unlike what Benning and Green seem to believe foot speed is not the major determining factor in a team being fast. It's structure, positioning, quick decision making and good passing. Foot speed is helpful of course but a team of Virtanens is really going to suck and get dominated by a team of Boninos

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Only caught the 1st period last night, and that seemed to be enough to encapsulate the whole game...The past few days, everyone was talking about the Canucks, and nothing about the Wild (who are slicing through the Western Conference). They seemed to be dictating the pace of last nights game.

I'm not sure if the Canucks were flat, or just didnt have an answer for the Wilds speed..Again, until our star players show up, it s going to be a spin of the wheel...Back to the drawing board.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Only caught the 1st period last night, and that seemed to be enough to encapsulate the whole game...The past few days, everyone was talking about the Canucks, and nothing about the Wild (who are slicing through the Western Conference). They seemed to be dictating the pace of last nights game.

I'm not sure if the Canucks were flat, or just didnt have an answer for the Wilds speed..Again, until our star players show up, it s going to be a spin of the wheel...Back to the drawing board.
The Wild put on an absolute clinic in the 3rd period on how to close out a game. They didn’t just sit back and trap, they suffocated the Canucks all over the ice.

Must be nice to be able to do that, makes me wonder why the Canucks can’t…

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
At the end of the day, the core isn’t really that good. You have 4 purely offensive players in Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, and Miller that lack a two-way game and really lag and suffer in the defensive zone. You constantly see these players either cheating to center ice, lapsing or shutting off which creates breakdowns down low. We have no elite two-way players, we also have a bottom 6 that cannot do anything remotely productive at both ends of the ice. The only purpose they serve is to just eat up ice time and hope they don’t get scored on.

We have no defensive defensemen that can read and anticipate what the forwards are doing. Tanev, Edler and Stetcher at least had synergy and saw success disrupting zone entries at the blueline. The “system” Green employs seems to revolve around backing the blueline into their own hash and allowing the offense to gain easy entry into the zone, while the forwards are at center ice. It’s the dumbest ass thing I have seen in my 30 years of playing and watching this sport.

That brings me back to coaching. Not only does this team suffer from a lack of system and structure but player development continues to suck. You cannot point to one player on the team that has gotten better under this dinosaur. It’s mind-boggling how poor this franchises player development has been in the past few years as you have seen many rookies come in and either flatline or regress under Green. It will be really interesting to track how Garland does under Green, because this is a new addition that has been the lone bright spot on offense thus far into the season...

Goaltending has masked the fact that this is a bottom 10 team (maybe a bottom 5 team). It will continue to mask this until Demko goes down from the intense workload.

Oddly enough you see something similar happening with the Seattle Seahawks in the NFL. An absolute dinosaur in Pete Carrol has been employed for 10 years only because his star QB has carried the team to respectable results while the Carrol has decimated the teams future and made awful personnel decisions.

Agree with all of this. One of the Sedins recently said basically that for this team to become anything, the core players have to deliver. Well, the fact of the matter is, the core forwards look very, very flawed.

Boeser was better last year I think because his groin was in better shape. This year he's back to being too slow again, and when he's slow he's absolutely useless 5-on-5. Will he ever be able to sustain high-end play?

Pettersson is weak, slow, and I think unwilling to sacrifice his body anymore. Neither he nor Boeser can win a puck battle on the boards, so they never seem to have the puck, and if they do manage get it, they lose possession again almost immediately, and you feel this sort of hopelessness knowing that they don't have the physical tools to get it back again, and nor does anyone else. It is not fun to watch.

Horvat has been only slightly better, not great and all, and his skating also isn't where it needs to be. Miller is, well... you know.

That's the forward core.

Of the young core players, only Hughes and Demko have played at all well this year. Hoglander's been hit-and-miss. Garland, if you want to include him, has been okay. But those two can't be your best forwards.

I'd definitely be curious to see what the team could do with a decent coach, but I have some deep reservations about their future either way. It's a shame. Hope I'm wrong. You can always look at the Sedins' unusual development trajectory and still have hope, I guess...

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
All of the things being said about our slumping core forwards were said about Gaudreau, and now that he has a real hockey coach that begets buy-in and intensity and actually makes him check, he's developing a pretty solid two way game and is having his best season yet

The fact of the matter is, is that all of our core is talented and skilled enough to win. As is the rest of the roster. Our forwards have the tools, smarts, and skill to defend and play a structured game. People will time and time again understate coaching as the most important position in the league when there are glaring examples every season of the transformative effect a good coach (of which there are few in the NHL) can have on their team and their teams success

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
LOL looked quicker. Man I hate this "brain"trust. Yes because unlike what Benning and Green seem to believe foot speed is not the major determining factor in a team being fast. It's structure, positioning, quick decision making and good passing. Foot speed is helpful of course but a team of Virtanens is really going to suck and get dominated by a team of Boninos

Jim Benning & co. have never understood that being a "fast" team is about far more than just moving your footsies quickly. It's astonishing that they can't comprehend this after like 40 years in the sport, but it's obvious that they can't. You would think that a team that dominated with the Sedins as their top players would be able to grasp this, but alas.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Have you been following the Canucks for a while? If the other team is on the second half of a back to back, starting a 3rd string goalie and every player has a broken leg, they will beat us.
Canucks playing a third string goalie = instant first ever shut out for said third stringer. I am pretty sure Anton Khudobin only got a shot in the NHL because the Canucks made him look so good when he was a 5th stringer or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It sucks that we're getting excellent performances from an OEL-Myers pairing of all things and its Miller-Pettersson-Boeser that decides to suck ass on us. It's a monstars-esque situation we're in here where they're getting all of the talent drained out of them
Its really good to see OEL and Garland play well, but EP and Boeser are the difference makers (and paid like it)..Until they get going..Its going to be an uphill battle.

Reactions: Indiana

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Jim Benning & co. have never understood that being a "fast" team is about far more than just moving your footsies quickly. It's astonishing that they can't comprehend this after like 40 years in the sport, but it's obvious that they can't. You would think that a team that dominated with the Sedins as their top players would be able to grasp this, but alas.
There is a saying in football(real thing): " The ball runs faster than any player". I think it can be applied to hockey as well. The Sedins moved the puck very fast and often made defenders look stupid. Prime Sedins were decent skaters. They worked hard to improve this weakness. Brock still has not improved his skating. He was faster in his rookie season than he is now.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
There is a saying in football(real thing): " The ball runs faster than any player". I think it can be applied to hockey as well. The Sedins moved the puck very fast and often made defenders look stupid. Prime Sedins were decent skaters. They worked hard to improve this weakness. Brock still has not improved his skating. He was faster in his rookie season than he is now.
The Sedins also had high level defensive players as teammates during their prime. We currently have Demko as our only Selke candidate.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad