Post-Game Talk: Wild @ Capitals | 7:00 EST | CSN-DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If Schmidt and Shattenkirk both play, it has to be 44 sitting, right? Orlov's been too good and Alzner has the ironman streak + reputation as shutdown guy.

Schmidt after that first period goal still only played 12 minutes. He is getting scratched. If he does play, the Orlov is going to take the scratch. He played more than only Schmidt tonight. Yes he got a pk shift for a change, but just one. Niskanen played over 6 minutes of sh time and Orlov played 1.

I am pretty confident that Schmidt's attaboy is Trotz saying he will consider keeping him in. He still gets scratched

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Would suck for Schmidt, he's earned some ice time.

Niskanen and Carlson were over 5 and up over 6 minutes of pk time. Alzner and Orpik each has a penalty and were near 5 minutes in pk time. Used to be that when a pk dman took a penalty that Schmidt got those shifts. Orlov got them tonight.

With the penalties the team is taking and it would seem that the officials are coming into games with pre game prep that leads to the Caps taking one reputation penalty after another, they are not going to scratch one of their 4 pk d. That means either Orlov or Schmidt sit. I am pretty sure that its Schmidt

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Why not just sit one D each game for the next seven? Then lock and load your final pairings for the last 7? It's not rocket science we have seven NHL D and they're all worthy of playing time and each guy could probably use a game off at this point of the year too. Plus it keeps everyone engaged. C'mon Trotz think outside the box a little...

arlcapsfan

Oct 3, 2015
From Isabell on twitter....

Trotz said he's considering keeping Schmidt in since he scored tonight. Said he's stepped in well. Added that Shattenkirk is going back in.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I guess we'll see what Barry is really made out of this Thursday. I'm actually looking forward to that now!

I think he sits Orpik. We should create poll.

I like Orpik, he has had a great season, but the penalties are getting out of hand, let him sit a game, for rest and to get his head right.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Orpik would be the only realistic choice. No way Alzner's streak ends with a healthy scratch and Orlov is playing too well to even consider sitting. Unfortunately I'll have to agree with Tex on this one, I just can't see Trotz pulling the trigger on benching Orpik so I'm guessing it'll be Schmidt sitting.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Connolly Backstrom and Williams took overlapping and nearly overlapping penalties in the 3rd which could have meant disaster. Without a lucky bounce off Niskanen, the Wild get nothing out of all that. Alzner and Orpik and Carlson and Niskanen played all of that.

Unless the Caps don't want to win these remaining games, Orpik and Alzner are going to play.

Also....are we really bashing Orpik for putting his hands on a guy near his net after having his stick snapped in half? Schmidt took the same sort of penalty behind the net in possession of his stick.

Schmidt played almost 6 minutes less than the next closest defenseman in ice time. That says all you need to know about this situation.

Edit: Just watched Trotz' presser. Schmidt is not going to play the next game. Shattenkirk is, but if you see the entire context of his comments, he compliments Schmidt for being ready and playing his game and says it makes for tough decisions. When pushed to be specific he said he would consider keeping Schmidt in. You don't slam a guy after a couple of solid fill in games by saying "yea, but he's out with Shatty back". He was being diplomatic. That's all. My read at least

Last edited:

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
do you guys really care whose feelings get hurt here? Play the best player period. If schmitt is the odd man out, too ***** bad. go win something. mend feelings in the offseason when shatty or whoever is gone. the idea of giving each dman a night off is something that should be considered. Still think they need home ice thru the playoffs no matter how dumb it has worked for the caps in the past.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
I guess we'll see what Barry is really made out of this Thursday. I'm actually looking forward to that now!

He's made out of the same "I can't/won't scratch a top 6/4 F or D unless they're a rookie or injured" guy he's always been. Schmidt will get scratched and Alzner will limp into the playoffs with sore handsn'uts. :laugh:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
do you guys really care whose feelings get hurt here? Play the best player period. If schmitt is the odd man out, too ***** bad. go win something. mend feelings in the offseason when shatty or whoever is gone. the idea of giving each dman a night off is something that should be considered. Still think they need home ice thru the playoffs no matter how dumb it has worked for the caps in the past.

I don't think anyone here is worried about hurt feelings. The debate is about who the best 6 defensemen actually are.

I'd like to at least see 88-22 for a few games in a row so an honest assessment can be made, rather than just outright making Schmidt the #7. I understand Orpik is more important for special teams play but solid 5v5 play is a strength of Schmidt's and is probably more important in the postseason.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
most likely one of them will get banged up in the next 16 games and it will solve itself.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Schmidt after that first period goal still only played 12 minutes. He is getting scratched. If he does play, the Orlov is going to take the scratch. He played more than only Schmidt tonight. Yes he got a pk shift for a change, but just one. Niskanen played over 6 minutes of sh time and Orlov played 1.

I am pretty confident that Schmidt's attaboy is Trotz saying he will consider keeping him in. He still gets scratched

That would be in line with Trotz falling back on vets rather than guys who earned ice time through good play.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We suck less again!

It really handcuffs a coach to have a player with oft broken hands in an iron man streak.

Somehow, Ovi getting a PPG cures much that ails us.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don't think anyone here is worried about hurt feelings. The debate is about who the best 6 defensemen actually are.

I'd like to at least see 88-22 for a few games in a row so an honest assessment can be made, rather than just outright making Schmidt the #7. I understand Orpik is more important for special teams play but solid 5v5 play is a strength of Schmidt's and is probably more important in the postseason.

I'd like to see either of these:

2-9
22-27
74-44
or
2-9
22-88
74-44

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Last playoffs the Caps scored 13ppg's and allowed 4 ppga's in 12 games. 2 of those ppga's came with Alzner off for an injury and Oprik in the box for 4 minutes.

Go with a lineup that has all of Orlov, Schmidt and Shattenkirk in it and you will have three defensemen that don't PK. Defensemen that at most were fill in's when a PK d took a penalty. If one of Niskanen, Carlson and Alzner/Orpik take a penalty, two defensemen that don't PK will have to do it.

I guess some think that penalty killing is an elementary thing and that any hockey player can be outstanding to elite at it, but I don't think it works that way.

Its 1 thing to say 6 puck movers is the way to go and that defensive d are obsolete. Its another thing to say that defensemen that don't pk can be counted on to consistently do it without establishing that game. This is without any conversation about defending 5 on 5 and trying to hold on to leads.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Is whatever downgrade you get from not having one of Orpik or Alzner on the PK really greater than the downgrade you get from playing one of them over Schmorlov for the rest of the game? They're not really elite PKers (at least not Orpik) and make their share of mistakes and at even strength they are at best neutral and at worst hold the team back. It Schmidt/Orlov/Carlson/Shattenkirk that have been making plays leading to zone time and offense.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Last playoffs the Caps scored 13ppg's and allowed 4 ppga's in 12 games. 2 of those ppga's came with Alzner off for an injury and Oprik in the box for 4 minutes.

Go with a lineup that has all of Orlov, Schmidt and Shattenkirk in it and you will have three defensemen that don't PK. Defensemen that at most were fill in's when a PK d took a penalty. If one of Niskanen, Carlson and Alzner/Orpik take a penalty, two defensemen that don't PK will have to do it.

I guess some think that penalty killing is an elementary thing and that any hockey player can be outstanding to elite at it, but I don't think it works that way.

Its 1 thing to say 6 puck movers is the way to go and that defensive d are obsolete. Its another thing to say that defensemen that don't pk can be counted on to consistently do it without establishing that game. This is without any conversation about defending 5 on 5 and trying to hold on to leads.

Agreed, don't need to further strengthen our puck moving ability when our Defensive D-man game is average. A good team should ideally have plently of role players for any imaginable situation and Schmidt files a role already filled by 4 other defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad