Post-Game Talk: Wild @ Capitals | 7:00 EST | CSN-DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
They should see if Orlov and Schmidt are capable of penalty killing by giving them actual minutes instead of just assuming they aren't capable. After all there's evidence to suggest Nate Schmidt could be an effective penalty killer:

http://www.russianmachineneverbreak...-hurt-nate-schmidt-can-handle-bigger-pk-role/

The Capitals' biggest problem in the postseason has been scoring at even strength. Schmidt can help contribute offensively while not being a significant dropoff defensively (if at all) and at the very least the Capitals need to see if an 88-22 pairing works. They've only had a 1-game sample (against the Rangers) and they looked very good together. Why not give it a few more games and then make a determination?

Last edited:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
If you assume that the PK will suffer if you put Orlov & Schmidt on it, I will assume that this will be more than compensated for by needing to PK less when these guys drive puck possession...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's a safe assumption on the PK suffering. This comes down to posters thinking they know more than the professional coaching staff. I'm sure Orlov and Schmidt could do OK killing PP2 of some time in the regular season, but I'm not willing to bet the season on them doing it in the playoffs against the PP1 unit of the Pens or anyone else of quality. The guys it appears some here want benched are not only capable, but they specialize in that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Last playoff the Caps had only 13 power plays to kill in 12 games. They were effectively eliminated by the two ppga's they gave up with Orpik in the box and Alzner in the locker room.

Not sure how many fewer times short handed the Caps can get than that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Is whatever downgrade you get from not having one of Orpik or Alzner on the PK really greater than the downgrade you get from playing one of them over Schmorlov for the rest of the game? They're not really elite PKers (at least not Orpik) and make their share of mistakes and at even strength they are at best neutral and at worst hold the team back. It Schmidt/Orlov/Carlson/Shattenkirk that have been making plays leading to zone time and offense.

I realize that +/- isn't the end all stat, but the Caps have a even strength goal differential of +32 when Orpik is on the ice. Their PK is excellent at 6th in the league and 4th in the east. Their record with a 3rd period lead and a 3rd period lead with 10 minutes to go are almost spotless.

Sometimes you need defense.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
There is no real data in this debate, so all these arguments are just hands waving in the air at this point.

The only thing we can be more or less certain about is that Alzner is terrible at possession (though seemingly good at last-ditch defense). The other stuff is anecdotal, or appeals to authority -- the usual arguments employed when you don't have any real evidence or don't know what real evidence is.

You don't want to see the Pens on the PP against Orlov & Schmidt, I don't want to see the Pens skate circles around Orpik & (especially) Alzner at 5-on-5. Great, let's move along until somebody manages to make a reasonable comparison of the effects.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Doesn't the goalie have to be the best PKer?

Having Holts should ease the pains of others not named Alzner or Orpik on the PK. From what I have seen over the years, the PK system itself is more relevant than having one guy not the ace PKer getting time.

Look no further than the annual ramping up of PK aggressiveness killing our PP every year.... unfortunately we won't get to see dumbo Hakstol every series.

We need to see what Schmidt and others will do. Now. Why wait until we are desperate facing elimination to even try? It's dumb to wait and pray you never need to try anyone else. Get them all reps. IMO it's exactly how a coach should prepare for the playoffs during the excessively long season, especially when in first.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Would you trade 1st place for 2nd place in order to satisfy your curiousity?

Would it help prevent a panic attack in an elimination game when coach is forced to put out guys he wouldn't even give a single PK shift in the midst of the biggest run of blowouts our team has ever seen? Like we just had pre semester break.

Fact is the bottom 4D last year all knew Barry had lost confidence in them, yet he was forced to lean on them heavy when Alzner went down and Orpik was his usual lumber jack, but they hadn't even had the courtesy of some random PKing intermittently during the long ass year.

It should have been no surprise to anyone that it failed miserably.

On the other end, he had Willy out for our most important PP of the season.

You cannot make this stuff up. If he didn't learn from game 6.... nuff said.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Schmidt filled in fine. It's time for him to sit though.

It's obvious what 6 D Caps are going to use in playoffs and who Trotz trusts most.

Only 14 games left to build chemistry/get lines locked down.

Sorry Nate

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's speculation at best to think Schmidt or Orlov getting in odd PK shifts in a blowout game over the course of 80+ games is going to cost us first place.

Why assume they would both fail at it miserably, because we have guys that which it is their specialty? Pking looks easier than many of the ES shifts I see them take.

First place hasn't done squat for us anyways. I am not the first to say first place is overrated. I remember Scott Stevens saying it after a first round choke job back in the day. All cup winners have to win games on the road.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It's speculation at best to think Schmidt or Orlov getting in odd PK shifts in a blowout game over the course of 80+ games is going to cost us first place.

Why assume they would both fail at it miserably, because we have guys that which it is their specialty? Pking looks easier than many of the ES shifts I see them take.

First place hasn't done squat for us anyways. I am not the first to say first place is overrated. I remember Scott Stevens saying it after a first round choke job back in the day. All cup winners have to win games on the road.

This time it makes a huge difference. Who would you rather face in the first two rounds? Toronto and then Columbus/Pittsburgh or both Columbus and Pittsburgh?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's speculation at best to think Schmidt or Orlov getting in odd PK shifts in a blowout game over the course of 80+ games is going to cost us first place. .

we are talking about who is playing now, RH. 15 games til playoffs. We have seen how this team can get going and then sitting them for 5 days can lose them their chem and set them back.

So, yea....with the standings as they are, if they lost a game or two more because they were experimenting with the lineup, they could end up 2nd instead of 1st. Which is why I asked the question

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Schmidt filled in fine. It's time for him to sit though.

It's obvious what 6 D Caps are going to use in playoffs and who Trotz trusts most.

Only 14 games left to build chemistry/get lines locked down.

Sorry Nate

That is, of course, until one of our top six invariably go down in the playoffs and the new pairings have zero cohesion.

Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

That is why using the next several games to keep all 7 of our D engaged and thinking on their toes or sitting out the odd game is the way to go.

I'd be much more comfortable with the 88-22 pairing in the playoffs if they've spent a game or two working out the kinks and showing what they can do during the upcoming games. Same can be said for Carlzner and 2-9. Mix and match for a few games and then lock them in sets over the last few weeks of the season.

Having one D sit out all remaining games while having the other 6 in fixed pairs for the next 14 games is not the way to go.

But it doesn't seem like Trotz would ever do something like that so I doubt it'll ever happen.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Nate Schmidt is not the final piece of the puzzle. If they lose with him scratched... they'd lose with him in the lineup.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Nate Schmidt is not the final piece of the puzzle. If they lose with him scratched... they'd lose with him in the lineup.

I'd prefer a coach who looked at it like, we have different pieces on our team that we can use for different effect, than we set our team in stone and bash our heads against the wall if it's not working until the last too little too late moment.

Schmidt gives us the flexibility to decide if we want to push possession 5 v 5 or hunker down and play some D. That could come in handy if the coach learned to harness it is all I'm saying.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
yes, yes. Schmidt provides flexibility. That said Shattenkirk is going to be playing in these playoffs and has yet to acclimate to the team and how they play. Getting suspended and missing two games was not helpful. Changing his partners around would not be helpful either.

By the way, Schmidt has played with 22 since arriving has he not? Schmidt has now also had 2 games with Orpik.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010

Not this year. 1st place gets us NYI or TOR (hopefully not Tampa), while pitting Columbus against Pittsburgh. Matchups are huge in the playoffs. Washington owes its run to the SCF in '98 almost soley to favorable matchups. Don't be so quick to dismiss the value of first place.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Not this year. 1st place gets us NYI or TOR (hopefully not Tampa), while pitting Columbus against Pittsburgh. Matchups are huge in the playoffs. Washington owes its run to the SCF in '98 almost soley to favorable matchups. Don't be so quick to dismiss the value of first place.

Can you guarantee that the 8 seed 1 faces, is significantly weaker than the 7 or whoever 2nd place faces?

If you cannot, how you make the blanket statement that first is better?

Deciding what is best all starts in round 1 and that matchup specifically. Back in the day when there weren't 3-5 teams vying for 8th place on the last night of the season, the seedings were more concrete - who was better or worse had already shaken out.

Home ice is great but feel it creates extra pressure. That is not good for fragile teams. Running scared from Pitt or Columbus won't win us a cup. If we are going to win it, let's not pray for another cake walk into the finals only to get slaughtered like last time. There is nothing to fear.

Looking forward to who you might play in round 2 will make you lose round 1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad