Wild are still underdogs?

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
It's difficult to know what to make out of this team based on so many new factors and the shortened season. Don't blame anyone for under or overselling but like everyone else, anything short of the playoffs is going to be disappointing.

Its not so much underdogs as it is everyone still thinking we play the trap.
They'll be shocked in 7 years when they discover Minnesota signs both Zach Parise and Ryan Suter.

Karl

Feb 4, 2005
The State of Hockey
I just find it amazing that numerous fans and even media members think all the Wild did was copy the Rangers plan of buying talent. They ignore that Chuck Fletcher and his team have busted their *** rebuilding the team and more importantly their prospects after Doug Risebrough drove this franchise into the ground. It is really quite remarkable the job they have done.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I just find it amazing that numerous fans and even media members think all the Wild did was copy the Rangers plan of buying talent. They ignore that Chuck Fletcher and his team have busted their *** rebuilding the team and more importantly their prospects after Doug Risebrough drove this franchise into the ground. It is really quite remarkable the job they have done.
Haters gonna hate.

The Wild step out of line when they signed Parise and Suter. We aren't supposed to be able to do that.

There are people who are going to root for those signing to backfire, because they wanted them instead.

Karl

Feb 4, 2005
The State of Hockey
Haters gonna hate.

The Wild step out of line when they signed Parise and Suter. We aren't supposed to be able to do that.

There are people who are going to root for those signing to backfire, because they wanted them instead.

I remember people reactions that they signed in Minnesota. First it was " Minnesota really why would they sign there when Parsie could be on Crosby's line in Pittsburgh and Suter could be in Detroit on a perennial winning franchise?"

After that came the bitterness of fans of the Devils and Predators and also teams that hate the Wild as you said hoping this explodes in our face. I hope this team proves them wrong this year and makes a deep playoff run.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
You have to take into consideration how difficult it is to dramatically improve in one season. Just look at how bad the Wild was last year. Goals for: The Wild weren't just last, they were historically bad. The Wild also was third-worst in goal differential, narrowly avoiding last place. Lowest shots per game. 4th-worst shots against. 4th-worst powerplay. 2nd-worst points percentage when scoring first. 6th-worst points percentage when leading after 2 periods. 2nd-worst 5 on 5 goal differential. It's hard to take that and all of a sudden be really good in just one year. Suter and Parise are very good players, but they aren't superstars.

You also have to add in (everything in 82 game terms for better understanding)

We got Parise: a 75 point player and 30 goal scorer who can do it all.
We got Suter: a 40 point defenseman that can run a PP and do it all.
We got Granlund: a 50 point rookie that will certainly contribute and make us deeper

We have a bevy of prospects that will be called up, Zucker, Coyle, Larsson etc..that noo offense (Warrin Peters) will do a much better job offensively than did the call ups last year.

Also if were getting a healthy PMB: thats another 50 point player

Oh and a Healthy Koivu is a 70 point player

Last but not least throw in a Healthy Danny Heatley who isn't the only offensive weapon and can skate without 3 guys pasted to him. Thats at the LEAST a 30 goal scorer.

I think you will be surprised at just how improved our offense turns out to be..as long as Stoner, Falk, Scandella, Spurgeon can play defense this team will be just fine.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I remember people reactions that they signed in Minnesota. First it was " Minnesota really why would they sign there when Parsie could be on Crosby's line in Pittsburgh and Suter could be in Detroit on a perennial winning franchise?"

After that came the bitterness of fans of the Devils and Predators and also teams that hate the Wild as you said hoping this explodes in our face. I hope this team proves them wrong this year and makes a deep playoff run.

Imo Predator fans were just really dissapointed in Suter's decision but Devils' fans started raving about overpayment and calling Parise a grinder who can't shoot etc etc..

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
We are making the playoffs. Any team that has a legit 1st line and decent goaltending makes the playoffs.

How deep that playoff run is depends on how the 2nd and 3rd lines and #3-#5 Dmen play.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I guess I just don't see any team in the league that is a lock to be in the playoffs given how the format is going to play out. Go on a 5+ game skid and you're done. Every game is within the conference and with the loser point, it's going to be incredibly hard to make up ground.

Karl

Feb 4, 2005
The State of Hockey
Imo Predator fans were just really dissapointed in Suter's decision but Devils' fans started raving about overpayment and calling Parise a grinder who can't shoot etc etc..

I think I misspoke about Predator fans which I apologize to them, because I believe you are right that they were disappointed and rightfully so.I had the same feelings when Gabby left. Devil fans though were pretty bad and spiteful. I believe the term "Man Child" was thrown around a bit....

Karl

Feb 4, 2005
The State of Hockey
I guess I just don't see any team in the league that is a lock to be in the playoffs given how the format is going to play out. Go on a 5+ game skid and you're done. Every game is within the conference and with the loser point, it's going to be incredibly hard to make up ground.

Which is why I hope this team gels fast and gets off to a hot start, and they have no more than a two game losing steak all season.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I was being a little coy. Nothing in life is certain.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Out: Nick Johnson, Warren Peters, Nick Schultz, Zidlicky, Staubitz and Christensen (to name a few)

In: Suter, Parise, Granlund, Gilbert, Mitchell, Konopka

I don't know how anybody can say were aren't markedly better.

There ya go.

If the Wild stay healthy, they are as just about as good as anybody.

Hypno Toad

Mar 26, 2011
Northern Minnesota
* Looks at name. Disappointed by post.

Surely you can't be talking about my username. Surely you cannot be talking about...

tumblr_m2f7zteOH61qiihn0o1_500.gif

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Forgive me if I am wrong but weren't the Wild sitting in the top 3 or something like that at least for the first half of the season until all those injuries?

Your team should make the playoffs this year.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
Forgive me if I am wrong but weren't the Wild sitting in the top 3 or something like that at least for the first half of the season until all those injuries?

#1 in December and then the greatest collapse in the history of NHL.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Agreed...I also believe that great goaltending will be vital over the shortened season for teams to make the postseason.

Sixbladeknife

Oct 20, 2011
Hockey Prospectus' statistical projection has Wild at 22nd-24th.

For the Wild to make the playoffs, they will need
to completely avoid injuries, especially to their still
talent-thin bottom six, have some rapid development
among the five young defensemen that play behind
Suter and Gilbert, have another hot and lucky start
(which hopefully won’t fool anyone this time), and
most importantly, see a significant improvement in
their possession-based play—an improvement not
likely to come until they find more players capable
of keeping the team above-water while playing the
tough minutes.

I don't think that's an unreasonable analysis. Suter and Parise alone won't make the Wild a playoff team. Granlund and possibly the other youngsters could help a lot with the depth and possession problems, though.

This team has a promising future ahead of it, but one shouldn't expect miracles right away.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Wild were a playoff team last year before the massive injuries hit. With zero off-season moves, they would be in the mix just by the law of averages.

Now add a top-5 LW, top-10 Dman, a top-6 center, and replace a bunch of AHL scrubs with legit NHL depth players.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Hockey Prospectus' statistical projection has Wild at 22nd-24th.

I don't think that's an unreasonable analysis. Suter and Parise alone won't make the Wild a playoff team. Granlund and possibly the other youngsters could help a lot with the depth and possession problems, though.

This team has a promising future ahead of it, but one shouldn't expect miracles right away.

Anything else than playoffs is major dissaointment.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I don't get it. Before the injuries they we're playing great hockey. Disciplined and smart hockey. I don't see luck playing a part in it. Add Parise, Suter and Granlund + depth, you shouldn't expect anything less than a playoff spot.

E: Wow... Am I that slow of a typer?

Sixbladeknife

Oct 20, 2011
Anything else than playoffs is major dissaointment.

It always is. I'm just saying that if you think that a team that, last season, was 14 points away from the playoffs with the third-worst goal differential in the league, should be a surefire playoff team, you ought to think twice how realistic your expectations are.

The Wild could very well make the playoffs, but in my opinion they're going to need a bit of overachievement and/or luck to do so.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad