Wild are still underdogs?

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
what is a "contender"? that's the problem i see here...the definition of that. I think we are a playoff team this year--not a BS 10-8th place cusp team. If we don't make the playoffs, it will be an unwelcome surprise for everyone in the organization. Once in the playoffs, we're a contender.

Yes. I think that's a best possible definition of a contender.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
#1 reason why I am skeptical of most of the projections I've seen:

Apparently Zach Parise's absence is enough to make the Devils plummet from the SCF to missing the playoffs, but his presence in Minnesota will have no effect on the Wild.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
#1 reason why I am skeptical of most of the projections I've seen:

Apparently Zach Parise's absence is enough to make the Devils plummet from the SCF to missing the playoffs, but his presence in Minnesota will have no effect on the Wild.

Even last year I don't think many expected the Devils to make the SCF. I'd say most people are taking their predictions about New Jersey from last season (early exit from playoffs), and subtracting Parise, which equals no playoffs.

Similarly, adding Parise & Suter to our team which finished 24th should boost us up to a bubble team (on paper). I don't think many are accounting for the number of injuries we had last season, though.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
See that's what bothers me. They have us ranked 10th in the West?

We added two players who are arguably top 10-15 at their position, brought in four 1st rounders and three 2nd rounders, and shored up the bottom two lines.

And that's only good to climb up a couple spots in the rankings?

Of course, Edmonton brought in one more 1st rounder and a good defensive prospect, so clearly they're going to be ahead of the Wild.

Lazy.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Expecting them to be a bubble team is setting very low expectations for yourself...which is fine because I know there are a lot of people who do that on purpose so they don't get let down as much.

Realistically, the team has a definite shot at the division title and should be expected to be cemented in as a playoff team. Certainly as others have said, it's hard to say what can happen in a season like this, but we should definitely expect to make the playoffs.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
We will gladly burst a lot of bubbles this year.

I think a lot of that has to do with:

1) Nobody knows who Spurgeon, Stoner, Scandella, Brodin, and Falk are. They will all be important players this year.

2) Everybody hates Heatley. To most people, he's worth less than a standard 3rd liner.

3) 2nd line is actually a question mark right now.

Hypno Toad

Mar 26, 2011
Northern Minnesota
If we were 1st in the NHL when healthy than imagine us healthy with Parise, Suter, and Granlund. A healthy Wild team with Koivu alone is a great team, imagine with these players! Heatley performing well is great too, but imagine the additions.

I can't wait because i can almost guarantee a Wild explosion.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
TSN has the wild ranked at only #20 http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/ i hope this hasnt already been posted.

What kind of a freakin bs joke was that?!?!

It looked as if a bunch of drunk anaysts got together and just threw darts at a list of teams to make the standings.

Just when you think TSN couldn't suck anymore than they always have...

I mean geesus!! Not even just the Wild, but almost all the teams?!?! And of course the pretty boys of the league, the pride and joy are number 1; gee that's a shocker... Let's not even consider that they lost a strong piece of who they are in Staal, and their d is worse than ours as well as their goaltending.

It makes me sick:rant:

Dallas above us...Really...

Karl

Feb 4, 2005
The State of Hockey
I understand the hype surrounding the Oilers, but every year we hear watch out for Edmonton! But each year they disappoint and end up drafting first or top 5 in the draft. I don't have Eddy in the playoffs until they prove they can make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->