Wild are still underdogs?

Hypno Toad

Mar 26, 2011
Northern Minnesota
It's been awhile guys, but I've come back now that hockey is back and my schedule has loosened up!

I notice that people still have the Wild pretty low on their predicted standings. I'm not saying Minnesota should be rated as a top team by any sense, but with the addition of Suter and Parise you would imagine people would have them ranked higher, or at least not at the bottom of our division as some of them have said.

Am I the only one noticing us as being under-looked? Am I over-analyzing things?

TheFeistyFinn

Dec 31, 2011
well it's better to be underdog, play well and prove people wrong than being rated as top team and fail miserably and get **** storm on you :p
im just excited to see this whole new team. i don't expect miracles right away but i guess missing playoff spot would be disappointing after all the suter/parise/granlund hype :P

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Most people don't like our D after Suter. We still have a few ?'s so it's not unrealistic for us to be thought of as a lower echelon playoff team right now.

Land O Lakes

Jan 8, 2013
Hopefully we're "under" looked. Better this than the other way around. Too much uncertainty right now to justify being pegged above the proven squads.

OpRedDawn*

Would be sweet if Bouchard gets cleared and can contribute this year

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Health issues are a concern for this team (especially on defense). As well, some leadership questions and chemistry questions. Then there is the entire Heatley debate.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Bodog has us 18/1 for the cup. that's tied for 9th with the Wings.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
9th in the league, in case that wasn't clear. but then they have the Oilers nipping at our heels and I think that's farfetched, so...

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
It's hard to say where this team will finish, especially in a shortened season. Far too many unknown factors that will loom large with minimal room for mistakes as every point a team gains or loses matters a ton more given all games will be within conference.

I look at this year as a bit of a feeling out process. Next season I expect the team to start moving up the standings.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
People are down on our defense. I am not. Suter-Gilbert is as good as an pairing in the league. Spurgeon plays decent top4 minutes. And Stoner is the forgotten man. He gets no respect around here and I suppose that reasonable given his injury history. But the guy has been solid when he's one the ice. He knows his role and he plays within his ability. And he brings the physicality we need. Between those four, we have a blue line that won't lose us games on their account of being a weak spot.

Now, notice how we have a decent top4 and we haven't even mentioned Scandella and Brodin? When those guys get heathy, that's when things are going to start getting fun. Put them on the same pairing and have them fight Stoner and spurgeon for the second pairing. We'll have a good thing going heading into the playoffs.

Yes, we don't have much depth beyond that and injuries will happen. But we will have four out of those six step up, which is at least average in this league.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
You have to take into consideration how difficult it is to dramatically improve in one season. Just look at how bad the Wild was last year. Goals for: The Wild weren't just last, they were historically bad. The Wild also was third-worst in goal differential, narrowly avoiding last place. Lowest shots per game. 4th-worst shots against. 4th-worst powerplay. 2nd-worst points percentage when scoring first. 6th-worst points percentage when leading after 2 periods. 2nd-worst 5 on 5 goal differential. It's hard to take that and all of a sudden be really good in just one year. Suter and Parise are very good players, but they aren't superstars.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
All I care about is that the Wild get into the playoffs. It matters not if they are the 1st seed or 8th seed.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Suter and Gilbert is not a pairing. Suter and Spurgeon on the other hand is, and Spurgeon is going to be logging a ton of time again this season, for better or worse.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You have to take into consideration how difficult it is to dramatically improve in one season. Just look at how bad the Wild was last year. Goals for: The Wild weren't just last, they were historically bad. The Wild also was third-worst in goal differential, narrowly avoiding last place. Lowest shots per game. 4th-worst shots against. 4th-worst powerplay. 2nd-worst points percentage when scoring first. 6th-worst points percentage when leading after 2 periods. 2nd-worst 5 on 5 goal differential. It's hard to take that and all of a sudden be really good in just one year. Suter and Parise are very good players, but they aren't superstars.

Both are top 10, arguably top 5 players at their respective positions.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I'm continually glad that we have some excellent two-way forwards to rely on. SoH is at it again with the Doom & Gloom, but you really have to put last years horrible numbers in context. Injuries, and all that went with them: players playing out of position, AHLrs (not even developing top-six AHL players, but career AHL grinder guys) filling top six roles, constant line shuffling. I don't expect we'll have that huge a problem this year.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Out: Nick Johnson, Warren Peters, Nick Schultz, Zidlicky, Staubitz and Christensen (to name a few)

In: Suter, Parise, Granlund, Gilbert, Mitchell, Konopka

I don't know how anybody can say were aren't markedly better.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Out: Nick Johnson, Warren Peters, Nick Schultz, Zidlicky, Staubitz and Christensen (to name a few)

In: Suter, Parise, Granlund, Gilbert, Mitchell, Konopka

I don't know how anybody can say were aren't markedly better.
inb4 because we didn't trade everyone else for more picks!!!

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
This team is very good now. Suter is an elite defenseman top 10 in league but if you think Parise isn't a superstar, you're bat **** crazy. The guy is top 5 in the game, few have as much heart or play the two way game he can. He is a ****ing superstar :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad