Wild are still underdogs?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Out: Nick Johnson, Warren Peters, Nick Schultz, Zidlicky, Staubitz and Christensen (to name a few)

In: Suter, Parise, Granlund, Gilbert, Mitchell, Konopka

I don't know how anybody can say were aren't markedly better.
That's a shocking straight up comparison. We massively improved 1/3 of our roster. we turned the weakest part our roster into at least as strong as the good part.

and still have the 1/2 that was the decent core. Now if we can just get the young guys to take the spots from a few of the guys, then we are going to be in business.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That's a shocking straight up comparison. We massively improved 1/3 of our roster. we turned the weakest part our roster into at least as strong as the good part.

and still have the 1/2 that was the decent core. Now if we can just get the young guys to take the spots from a few of the guys, then we are going to be in business.

And it doesn't even include us anticipating full, healthy seasons from Koivu, Spurgeon, Seto or (hopefully) Bouchard. It's a much better team.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I've seen the Wild ranked very high (top-3 in the West) and very low. I think that's because the team has changed so much, it's tough to predict whether they'll struggle or thrive.

Billy Mays Here*

This team is very good now. Suter is an elite defenseman top 10 in league but if you think Parise isn't a superstar, you're bat **** crazy. The guy is top 5 in the game, few have as much heart or play the two way game he can. He is a ****ing superstar :)

Then I guess I'm bat **** crazy. Superstar is a term that gets thrown around way too much. Parise is a star for sure, but not a Superstar. Superstars = Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin (assuming he can get back to form), and Stamkos

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I'd rather be an underdog. It's better than having high expectations, having a gigantic thread created celebrating it on the main board, and then crashing down to earth. ;)

Honestly though, this season is gonna be a bit different. On one hand, it would feel like a monumental failure not to make the playoffs after you just signed Parise and Suter. On the other hand, this team might need some time to gel and get its legs. The problem with that is there is nearly ZERO room for error in a much shortened season. If you get a late start, you won't be able to catch up. There won't be the luxury of having a late push to the playoffs.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
Then I guess I'm bat **** crazy. Superstar is a term that gets thrown around way too much. Parise is a star for sure, but not a Superstar. Superstars = Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin (assuming he can get back to form), and Stamkos

I like to think that "franchise players" are a notch above "superstars".

geowild

Mostly Harmless
Jun 22, 2012
Western 'burbs
Well. . inertia is a powerful thing, especially amongst those who don't do massive amounts of homework.

Hell, there are plenty of beat writers around North America who still write about the Wild from a Lemaire perspective. And they *ought* to know better.

Our D is suspect. We really need another quality D-man. But there are lots of team with worse holes.

Then there are the sabremetrics types. They'll always downgrade us, and bray that that the 2nd half of last year proves their case --conveniently ignoring how central injuries were.

I will admit, it's going to be about the D this year. We can backfill from Houston quite credibly on forwards. . . .but D will tell the tale.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
generational talent
franchise player
superstar/elite/Heatley
star

that's about how I see it.

edit: and yeah I think Parise is superstar/elite

Billy Mays Here*

I like to think that "franchise players" are a notch above "superstars".

Superstars are franchise players. You can build a team around any one of Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin or Stamkos.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
After making NHL history last season with the greatest collapse of all time, the future looks brighter than ever.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wild are a mid tier playoff team...5-6 seed most likely, unless they can steal the division.

Vegas has the Wild at 10th for Stanley Cup Champ odds according to yahoo.

Sneaky Priest

See you Nov. 2
Sep 20, 2011
Lino Lakes
ESPN had us at 24th in the league....wtf

bahahaha ESPN makes me laugh so much. They probably don't even know who Granlund is or the fact that we signed Parise and Suter last summer. What a bunch of fools.

Honestly, the Wild are in the innocent until proven guilty situation. Until they prove they are legitamite on the ice they won't be taken seriously by alot of people.
As far as the defense, it's better then it was last year i don't see why people are so concerned. We were able to win a lot of games with our defense and goal tending last year. Scandella will be healthy soon and Brodin will hopefully be able to make an impact at sometime in this season. I'm going to be pissed if we trade for some guy just to fill a spot for a while.

Jul 10, 2012
Grand Forks, ND
I'd say there's quite a few underdogs and wild cards this season. Along with the Wild, there's the Canes, Sens, Florida, Tampa, Avs, and Oilers. IMO, other than the Rangers, Pens and Philly on top, and the Leafs, Isles, and Flames on bottom, I think the rest of the league is a bit of a crap shoot.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
24th that's hilarious. I think we challenge for the division. Before injuries this team was dominant. Add in Parise/Suter/Granlund were looking at 100+ points injected into the lineup. Not to mention bounce back from Seto and Kaptain healthy all season (Knock on wood)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Of course I want us to do well, win games and make the playoffs and such, but I'm really not putting a whole lot of stock in this season regarding our future, were our moves correct, etc... Way too many variables in a shortened season.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Of course I want us to do well, win games and make the playoffs and such, but I'm really not putting a whole lot of stock in this season regarding our future, were our moves correct, etc... Way too many variables in a shortened season.

And way too strong of a draft class to get upset if they don't do well :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad