Wild and Avs Frontrunners for Stadium Series Games Next Season

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Expanding on this, I wonder how season ticket holders choose what seats they get at the outdoor game locations? Anyone a STH for other teams that have had a WC or Stadium series? Is it as simple as picking a seat of equal or lesser value of your season seats?

The Tickets are not included in a STH package. STH have to option to buy tickets which allows them to choose their seats but they will cost more than a regular season game.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Expanding on this, I wonder how season ticket holders choose what seats they get at the outdoor game locations? Anyone a STH for other teams that have had a WC or Stadium series? Is it as simple as picking a seat of equal or lesser value of your season seats?

They go in waves having the most loyal and expensive STH's select seats and go down the list.

The Flyers actually had a lawsuit against them filed by the STH when the WC was in Philly. The Flyers required that STH buy tickets to the Alumni Game and the Phantoms Game if they wanted WC tickets. The public who were able to win the lottery did not have to buy these. The case was settled and the STH's received like a $50 voucher for food at the stadium.

ediger

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
Dallas - Minnesota
Detroit - Colorado
xxxx - Winnipeg
Boston - St. Louis (Winter Classic)

This is what I'd like to see. I'm curious about who gets the Winter Classic though, mostly every big market team has hosted one, and Toronto is likely to host theirs during their centennial year.

EDIT: And just for fun, Tampa Bay - Florida :naughty:

I'd say Winnipeg vs Edmonton. They could have one of the best alumni games. Winnipeg vs. Minnesota would be cool as well.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The Tickets are not included in a STH package. STH have to option to buy tickets which allows them to choose their seats but they will cost more than a regular season game.

So that would be considered to be included but with the right of refusal then. Not "directly" as in - included with the season ticket price of the year, but indirectly as in, they have seats reserved for them if they want, and if they want, it will add on top of the price for the year.

I'd say Winnipeg vs Edmonton. They could have one of the best alumni games. Winnipeg vs. Minnesota would be cool as well.
I doubt that the Wild would play in the Heritage Classic... that's usually an all Canadian team event.

And since Minnesota is hosting a game of it's own, I doubt they match up against each other in either event, as there is no way the NHL will have 1 team play more than 1 game outdoors in the season.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Glad to hear that Minnesota, Colorado and Winnipeg are going to host outdoor games (just realized that they're all Central Division teams). Even though the teams that I follow are ones that have participated in one or more outdoor games before, I hope the league chooses visiting teams for these games that haven't participated in an outdoor game before, rather than the usual suspects, or at least those who haven't participated more than once before. Yeah, I know it's about ratings, and the popular teams bring in ratings, but I think quite a few people are getting sick of the same few teams participating in these outdoor games over and over again...

I put together a list of the number of times a team has participated in an outdoor game in the last 10 years for a different thread a few days ago, and have included it here in case anyone's curious:

3 times
Chicago (including this year's)
NYR
Pittsburgh

2 times
Detroit
LA
Philadelphia
Washington (including this year's)

1 time
Anaheim
Boston
Buffalo
Calgary
Montreal
New Jersey
NYI
Ottawa
San Jose
Toronto
Vancouver

0 times
Arizona
Carolina
Colorado (hosting Stadium Series next season?)
Columbus
Dallas
Edmonton
Florida
Minnesota (hosting Stadium Series next season?)
Nashville
St. Louis
Tampa Bay
Winnipeg (hosting Heritage Classic next season?)

Nashville won't host a game ever. Winters here are too unpredictable. You might have cold weather with snow or 65° with storms.

You can adjust for dry heat, but not for thunderstorms

Smart Dunsparce*

If the Aves aren't winning, it will be only 80% capacity. Give it to Nashville instead.

Smart Dunsparce*

Oilers @ Jets would make too much sense, id make he trip down there too.

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
Nashville won't host a game ever. Winters here are too unpredictable. You might have cold weather with snow or 65° with storms.

You can adjust for dry heat, but not for thunderstorms

Fair. But the Preds can be a visiting team for one.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
When single game tickets go on sale for the hosting team. (Obviously season ticket holders get these included with their season tickets)

It will be after single game tickets go on sale. I've already discussed this with my ticket rep last season when the rumors were flying. It will take out people who will just want that game as opposed to others in the lines and the website. If the game is in March, I would suspect November they would start it up to get Christmas buzz.

Again after speaking with my ticket rep, they've considered two approaches:

Either it will go by seniority of time with season tickets. If someone has held tickets since Day 1 of the franchise, they'll get dibs. Businesses with the expensive seats (center ice, glass, suite, club) will get dibs right along side them. Those who are brand new will wait a few hours after the others have gone through and then they get to select from what is available.

or

They will randomly put STH's in groups for block times to get tickets

Regardless they've already stated there will be a limit on how many you can purchase. I do not know what that will be.

So that would be considered to be included but with the right of refusal then. Not "directly" as in - included with the season ticket price of the year, but indirectly as in, they have seats reserved for them if they want, and if they want, it will add on top of the price for the year.

The entire stadium is reserved for STH's initially. There will be an email that is sent out sometime this summer on the dates the tickets will be released and then a follow up will happen later on with how many seats they are looking to purchase.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
God forbid they ever put one in Busch Stadium.

I wonder if there is a reason why they are not giving one to St Louis? Like on purpose. I'll even take an away game if it's all we can get.

Wild-Blues or Blues-Avs would be awesome, but I'm sure it'll just be something like Hawks-Wild or Hawks vs the Hawks minor league affiliate or Kane and Toews vs a bunch of Hawks fans.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Also, while I want to see my team in at least 1, preferably here, the NHL absolutely ruined the outdoor game when they started more than 1 per year. What's the point of making it a special event if you have 5 of them per year?

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Also, while I want to see my team in at least 1, preferably here, the NHL absolutely ruined the outdoor game when they started more than 1 per year. What's the point of making it a special event if you have 5 of them per year?

Seriously. I'm already over them because of it.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
No one cares if you're 'over it.' The NHL will continue to put them on as long as they make money, clearly there are other people that arent over them.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
God forbid they ever put one in Busch Stadium.

I wonder if there is a reason why they are not giving one to St Louis? Like on purpose. I'll even take an away game if it's all we can get.

Wild-Blues or Blues-Avs would be awesome, but I'm sure it'll just be something like Hawks-Wild or Hawks vs the Hawks minor league affiliate or Kane and Toews vs a bunch of Hawks fans.

I think it will be Wild-Stars, but Blues-Avs is a distinct possibility.

Not sure if they will put a home game at Busch though as long as Coors Light is the Stadium Series sponsor unless its the Winter Classic.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

At least for the Sharks game this year my family had to pay separately. I don't think they are an included option for STH's.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Would love to see an outdoor game in Minnesota. Right climate, tons of hockey fans, great place to host one of these things.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
What is the difference between Stadium series and Winter Classic? They are both outdoor games in stadiums, aren't they?

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
What is the difference between Stadium series and Winter Classic? They are both outdoor games in stadiums, aren't they?

Winter Classic is the flagship, tradition based approach. Stadium Series has a more current build up and jersey style, or at least it did last year. Winter Classic generally receives the lion's share of the focus from the nhl.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I think it will be Wild-Stars, but Blues-Avs is a distinct possibility.

Not sure if they will put a home game at Busch though as long as Coors Light is the Stadium Series sponsor unless its the Winter Classic.

Oh wow I didn't even think about that. Good point. Unless they rename it "Cardinals Baseball Stadium" for the game :laugh:

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
No one cares if you're 'over it.' The NHL will continue to put them on as long as they make money, clearly there are other people that arent over them.

And make money they are, but I think they are ruining it.

It could have been a cash cow that lasted forever. A New Years Day tradition of the entire continent.

Now it's nothing like that. It will someday lose its luster and 99% of people will be "over it".

More money this year, sure. More money 20 years from now? Doubtful.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
If Minnesota gets an outdoor game. Battle of cali will actually have come up with new material.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad