Wild and Avs Frontrunners for Stadium Series Games Next Season

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Winter Classic has other events that go along with the game. (alumni games/college hockey games/etc)..

Is there some rule we don't know about that a Stadium Series game can't be proceeded by a high school and/or college game? Because I'll bet my next mortgage payment that Minnesota's Stadium Series game will be held on Hockey Day in Minnesota and will feature high school games, followed by the University of Minnesota, followed by the Wild vs whomever.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
It's my team and I'm bored with it. Go back to one (1) game a year and make it special. Make it an event.

I'd much rather watch the Hockey Day MN outdoor high school game from a frozen lake or park.

Angelus*

Glad to hear that Minnesota, Colorado and Winnipeg are going to host outdoor games (just realized that they're all Central Division teams). Even though the teams that I follow are ones that have participated in one or more outdoor games before, I hope the league chooses visiting teams for these games that haven't participated in an outdoor game before, rather than the usual suspects, or at least those who haven't participated more than once before. Yeah, I know it's about ratings, and the popular teams bring in ratings, but I think quite a few people are getting sick of the same few teams participating in these outdoor games over and over again...

I put together a list of the number of times a team has participated in an outdoor game in the last 10 years for a different thread a few days ago, and have included it here in case anyone's curious:

3 times
Chicago (including this year's)
NYR
Pittsburgh

2 times
Detroit
LA
Philadelphia
Washington (including this year's)

1 time
Anaheim
Boston
Buffalo
Calgary
Montreal
New Jersey
NYI
Ottawa
San Jose
Toronto
Vancouver

0 times
Arizona
Carolina
Colorado (hosting Stadium Series next season?)
Columbus
Dallas
Edmonton
Florida
Minnesota (hosting Stadium Series next season?)
Nashville
St. Louis
Tampa Bay
Winnipeg (hosting Heritage Classic next season?)

Edmonton hosted the original Heritage Classic in 2003. I know you said the last ten years but Edmonton was the first

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Glad to hear that Minnesota, Colorado and Winnipeg are going to host outdoor games (just realized that they're all Central Division teams). Even though the teams that I follow are ones that have participated in one or more outdoor games before, I hope the league chooses visiting teams for these games that haven't participated in an outdoor game before, rather than the usual suspects, or at least those who haven't participated more than once before. Yeah, I know it's about ratings, and the popular teams bring in ratings, but I think quite a few people are getting sick of the same few teams participating in these outdoor games over and over again...

I put together a list of the number of times a team has participated in an outdoor game in the last 10 years for a different thread a few days ago, and have included it here in case anyone's curious:

3 times
Chicago (including this year's)
NYR
Pittsburgh

2 times
Detroit
LA
Philadelphia
Washington (including this year's)

1 time
Anaheim
Boston
Buffalo
Calgary
Montreal
New Jersey
NYI
Ottawa
San Jose
Toronto
Vancouver

0 times
Arizona
Carolina
Colorado (hosting Stadium Series next season?)
Columbus
Dallas
Edmonton
Florida
Minnesota (hosting Stadium Series next season?)
Nashville
St. Louis
Tampa Bay
Winnipeg (hosting Heritage Classic next season?)

I bet with if nashville continues to perform like this and having the ASG they will play against either team.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
The info I've been reading over the years says that the Wild has turned down Stadium Series games and is holding out for the Winter Classic. I don't blame them at all for holding out.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Wild and Stars would be a good outdoor game! :D

As a Pens fan, I'm perfectly happy for the team to never play the outdoor game again, I just found them tarnished for me personally because of the Pen's Winter Classic, plus they also lose all the games :naughty:. I'd much rather see the teams who haven't got a chance to play or teams who haven't had as much opportunity to get a chance instead of the same few over and over.

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
Edmonton hosted the original Heritage Classic in 2003. I know you said the last ten years but Edmonton was the first

Yep, I know - I just thought 11-2 years was long enough ago that it shouldn't count against Edmonton and Montreal.

The info I've been reading over the years says that the Wild has turned down Stadium Series games and is holding out for the Winter Classic. I don't blame them at all for holding out.

I don't blame them either. The Winter Classic is more of an event than the Stadium Series. To be honest, I wish they had never started the Stadium Series to begin with. One Winter Classic and one Heritage Classic per season would have been my preference.

Wild and Stars would be a good outdoor game! :D

As a Pens fan, I'm perfectly happy for the team to never play the outdoor game again, I just found them tarnished for me personally because of the Pen's Winter Classic, plus they also lose all the games :naughty:. I'd much rather see the teams who haven't got a chance to play or teams who haven't had as much opportunity to get a chance instead of the same few over and over.

Yeah, I'd like to see the Wild vs. Stars as well.

The Pens are my #2 team - I can definitely see why you'd prefer if they stay out of these games from now on. That 2011 Winter Classic... :(

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Yes, the Wild were considered for a Stadium series but they said no and wanted the WC, but time has softened the issue as it appears the league is bound and determined to keep the WC to just a few, which is a shame.

That's why the Wild are now open to a Stadium Series game, which they will all but certainly tie in to "Hockey Day Minnesota" - an annual celebration of hockey at every level in Minnesota, and will likely have a High School game, College game, then the Wild game all on the same outdoor ice sheet.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Awesome if the Avs get one.

I was already planning a trip to Vegas sometime next year anyway(Not Hockey/expansion team related), if the Avs get a Stadium series game, It'll give me even more reason to plan the trip and add a stop in Denver during that trip.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yes, the Wild were considered for a Stadium series but they said no and wanted the WC, but time has softened the issue as it appears the league is bound and determined to keep the WC to just a few, which is a shame.

That's why the Wild are now open to a Stadium Series game, which they will all but certainly tie in to "Hockey Day Minnesota" - an annual celebration of hockey at every level in Minnesota, and will likely have a High School game, College game, then the Wild game all on the same outdoor ice sheet.

That sounds like a fantastic event.

Should be a great event for Hockey fans in Minnesota. Its certainly been a long time coming for the state.

DyerMaker66*

I don't: Any time I get to see the Pens on TV is a good time. Usually I'm stuck watching some terrible mix of Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary, with a dash of Habs in french.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I think it would be really cool to have a Heritage and Winter Classic in two locations that don't have NHL teams. Somewhere like Saskatchewan in Canada and Wisconsin in the US. Places that are crazy about hockey but don't have their own team for whatever reason. As a neutral observer I would definitely tune into that.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
outdoor games are getting really old

they should do TB vs FLA though. that would be fun even though the teams are far from rivals

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
St. Louis @ Colorado
Dallas @ Minnesota
Calgary @ Winnipeg
Montreal @ Boston

anything else is a huge mistake.

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
St. Louis @ Colorado
Dallas @ Minnesota
Calgary @ Winnipeg
Montreal @ Boston

anything else is a huge mistake.

So Edmonton @ Winnipeg would be a huge mistake? I'm not a Jets fan, and perhaps it would be obvious to one, but please humour me - why does it have to be Calgary, and not Edmonton, for example?

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
So Edmonton @ Winnipeg would be a huge mistake? I'm not a Jets fan, and perhaps it would be obvious to one, but please humour me - why does it have to be Calgary, and not Edmonton, for example?

Yes, let's reward a last place team that's a complete mess at the moment with a premier NHL event.

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
Yes, let's reward a last place team that's a complete mess at the moment with a premier NHL event.

Is current success a requirement for an outdoor game participating team? If so, I don't know what Dallas and Colorado are doing on people's lists for possible participating teams...

Look, I don't care about Edmonton and I don't actually care about who plays vs. Winnipeg, but if your reason for saying it had to be Calgary was based on Edmonton sucking right now, rather than some other more interesting reason, then fine; that's why I asked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->