Post-Game Talk: Wild 5, Oilers 2

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Dud game indeed.

43 shots on goal and very few good scoring chances.

Also, a rare chance not to bash on the refs - Wild had one powerplay.

On to the next one.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Game was lost in the slot. Shot totals were totally not indicative of the number of amazing chances we gave Minny. Talbot would have had to have played the game of his life to keep it to 1 or 2 goals.

The first period was key. The Oilers got zone time but AGAIN inexplicably kept throwing it back to the point for low-percentage tip plays. You can get a goal a game like that, not usually any more. Virtually the whole period's shot totals were point shots. There was a play by Pouliot which drove me nuts, he had time in the corner, Benning sneaking in from the point with no-one covering him, and instead of tossing it out front he boneheads it back to Sekera for the usual wasted shot attempt.

They were better in the 2nd and 3rd at driving the net and getting slot chances but the game was already lost at that point.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Some will look at the shot totals and think we played pretty well, but I think that's a fools game. Most of them came from a long ways away or from the sides. Keumper actually had a pretty sedate type of game to deal with. When you're chasing a game, like the Oilers were, you throw everything but the kitchen sink at the net. And if you can clear the net and let your goalie see everything, like the Wild did, then it's not that difficult.

Good to see Russell own up to a bad game. Sign of a quality player and solid vet. Doesn't diminish all the excellent games he's consistently played before this one. He'll come out on fire next game.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Larsson continues to impress, as he has since December.

Was a bit worried for a time there in November, but he's very steady and has chipped in more offensively as well.

If we can't run Sekera-Benning and have Russell on the bottom pairing, let's get another RHD please.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Was a bit worried for a time there in November, but he's very steady and has chipped in more offensively as well.

If we can't run Sekera-Benning and have Russell on the bottom pairing, let's get another RHD please.

I don't think Benning is ready for permanent top 4 status just yet.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
For the past little stretch the Oilers have been playing pretty loosely and as a result they were winnign some games despite being outshot and out chanced. The game vs Ducks should have been a 1 goal game or a loss for example. This game should be a learning lesson. They gotten tighten up and play more responsbility

Bingo. They found ways to win. AKA capitalised on every chance. The first game they didn't do that, they lost. Pretty handedly.
But really easy to use as a learning tool. Take it to practice and utilise it in the games before the 5 days off.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I don't think Benning is ready for permanent top 4 status just yet.

I think hell start to fade a bit as season goes on due to only playing college hockey before with a small schedule. But I agree we need to push Russell to bottom pairing. His play continuing to slide fromt he start of the year. it was gradual before. But there's a risk it falls off a cliff soon. Last night the loss was on him. One of worst games ive seen an Oilers D play in past 5 years, and that says alot. He rarely has had very bad games (and rarely had very good games). But anymore of last nights play and he should be watch from the PB. cant have players costing us entire games at this point in the season

Michael Stone should be target #1. Right hand #4 defensive D. UFA this year so wont have to be protected.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

I'd split Benning with Nurse and Russell.

....literally.

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
I'd be fine with promoting Bennnig. He's been solid even with Davidson catching up to speed. Him and Sekera were very very good together.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Wild fan coming in peace.

Always enjoy playing you guys and watching the development of the team, will be a playoff team for the foreseeable future in my opinion!

And I'd give my [mod] to have Draisatl in MN.

MOD

Maybe you were being completely innocent about it and meant well, if so thanks I guess. Maybe it's just PTSD on my part but at this point I don't react well to the "<blank> fan coming in peace, good game guys!" posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Kris Russell gave away the game.

I don't think its fair to pin it just on Russell. No one was covering for Russell's mistakes last night. Everyone was waiting for someone to do it all for them.

Russell clearly had a terrible game. And he made a lot of costly mistakes. But a team firing on all cylinders probably prevents at least a couple of those mistakes by Russell ending up in the back of the net.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I don't think its fair to pin it just on Russell. No one was covering for Russell's mistakes last night. Everyone was waiting for someone to do it all for them.

Russell clearly had a terrible game. And he made a lot of costly mistakes. But a team firing on all cylinders probably prevents at least a couple of those mistakes by Russell ending up in the back of the net.

Sek had a really off night too. Think it is certain that if Sek is off, the Sek/Russell pair is going to have a bad night. Sek has consistently been the stabilising force on that pair.

Pouliot was extra awful. Staples had him down for 7 mistakes leading to scoring chances, which is a massive amount for a winger, and that definitely lines up with my eye test. Lazy stuff all over the ice, with just enough tiny energy bursts in the offensive zone for Remenda to praise him for a great game, lol.

Not only those 3 guys though too of course. Lots of missed assignments, and out of sync play in our zone all night to go along with some blatant individual errors.

We know the team can do better than that (maybe excluding this years version of Poo). Here's to hoping McLellan can flip that switch back in 2 days.

Last edited:

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017

For sure, but the main culprit is imo Kris Russell. Every goal against started with his inability to exit the zone while under zero pressure, and his constant firing the puck up the boards led to the puck being back in the Oilers zone.

Russell had chances to relieve pressure or push the puck up almost every time but couldn't do it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think hell start to fade a bit as season goes on due to only playing college hockey before with a small schedule. But I agree we need to push Russell to bottom pairing. His play continuing to slide fromt he start of the year. it was gradual before. But there's a risk it falls off a cliff soon. Last night the loss was on him. One of worst games ive seen an Oilers D play in past 5 years, and that says alot. He rarely has had very bad games (and rarely had very good games). But anymore of last nights play and he should be watch from the PB. cant have players costing us entire games at this point in the season

Michael Stone should be target #1. Right hand #4 defensive D. UFA this year so wont have to be protected.

ONE bad game and a guy goes from signing him to an extension to benching him. This place is unbelievable with some of the hysteria and knee jerk reactions.:shakehead:amazed:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
ONE bad game and a guy goes from signing him to an extension to benching him. This place is unbelievable with some of the hysteria and knee jerk reactions.:shakehead:amazed:

Hes been below average for a while. He doesnt deserve a benching based on one game, but if he plays like that again then yes, he deserves a benching. We cant have players single handily costing us games and valuable points. Id have no issue playing Gryba or Osterle for a game while he sits. We finally have depth on D, we should use that depth. That means benching poor preforming D

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Oh great, this again.

Just so you're aware, as a fanbase on HF we've had a DECADE of posts like that after a loss (never after a win, surprise surprise), throwing flowers on our grave and giving us the playful head pat and an "Attaboy!" trophy.

Maybe you were being completely innocent about it and meant well, if so thanks I guess. Maybe it's just PTSD on my part but at this point I don't react well to the "<blank> fan coming in peace, good game guys!" posts.

To be fair, I noticed after beating the Sharks, a couple posters on here went over there and did the very same thing. But I agree, I think it's crap. If they want to do that, be fair and go over to the Minny site now and spread the love. I'm guessing that doesn't happen.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Russell was horrible but it was magnified by Sekera also having a poor game. Sekera has been babysitting Russell for a while and covering his mistakes. When Sekera isnt there to cover those mistakes, they result in a flood of goals against. Id like to see what Sekera can do with Benning. Theyve worked well in short time together before. Benning has been very responsible defensively and itd allow Sekera to roam a bit offensively, or at least not have to worry if hes not playing at 100% that a goal against will be caused

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
To be fair, I noticed after beating the Sharks, a couple posters on here went over there and did the very same thing. But I agree, I think it's crap. If they want to do that, be fair and go over to the Minny site now and spread the love. I'm guessing that doesn't happen.

Yeah that's fair, I'm sure every fanbase does it to varying degrees. We're nothing special. We've just had to endure it more than pretty much any other fanbase in recent memory I would wager. :)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hes been below average for a while. He doesnt deserve a benching based on one game, but if he plays like that again then yes, he deserves a benching. We cant have players single handily costing us games and valuable points. Id have no issue playing Gryba or Osterle for a game while he sits. We finally have depth on D, we should use that depth. That means benching poor preforming D

Once again, knee jerk. Single handedly costing us games?:amazed: How many has he played a solid part in helping us win? Based on his overall performance this year, do you honestly think he has another stinker in his bag for next game? I would say the opposite. When Russell has a bad game defensively, this pairing falls apart because Sekera isn't one to pick up his d partner defensively. On the other hand, whenever Sekera had a bad game defensively, Russell has been able to cover for him making great defensive plays. I know you can't stand the guy because he doesn't fulfill your wet dream of shot metrics, and you've have likely been waiting in the weeds for him to finally come up with one of these (took till game 52) so you could could crucify him.

Last edited:

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Kris Russell should NOT be extended. Period.

I mean honestly, we should be upgrading our D to a Shatty, Barrie, or any RHD PMD, not settling with Kris freaking Russell.

he was a good one year signing. thats all he was

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010

I mean honestly, we should be upgrading our D to a Shatty, Barrie, or any RHD PMD, not settling with Kris freaking Russell.

This x1000.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I wouldn't touch Shattenkirk with a 10" pole. The guy isn't interested in playing outside of the States. IMO, he is way over-rated and sheltered by the Blues stack of competent dmen, very mediocre defensively at best. The cost to get him would be exhorbitant, especially if you can't sign him. And if you did sign him, the amount and term would be ridiculous for what you get. If you're going to go after someone, it better be a bigger fish than Shattenkirk.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Once again, knee jerk. Single handedly costing us games?:amazed: How many has he played a solid part in helping us win? Based on his overall performance this year, do you honestly think he has another stinker in his bag for next game? I know you can't stand the guy because he doesn't fulfill your wet dream of shot metrics, and you've have likely been waiting in the weeds for him to finally come up with one of these (took till game 52) so you could could crucify him.

Ive said numerous times I like the player. Ive noted him in his games nearly every time. Ill call out any player for a horrible game. If Larsson/Klefbom/Benning play as bad as he did last night ill be calling for a benching as well

Russell has an army of people waiting to jump on a grenade for him. How he gets ALL the praise for a turn around and escapes any critcism is beyond me. He had a absymal game, we can all agree on that. We cant afford absymal games from players in a top 2 line role

Pouliot (advanced stat darling) should be benched as well if he has another game like this one

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Wow. It's a ghost town in here...

That's a good thing. People always complained that our PGT losses were always way bigger than our PGT wins. Now it's the opposite. Not much really needs to be said. I hate the Wild, move on, and beat the **** out of Nashville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad