Post-Game Talk: Wild 5, Oilers 2

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Kris Russell should NOT be extended. Period.

I mean honestly, we should be upgrading our D to a Shatty, Barrie, or any RHD PMD, not settling with Kris freaking Russell.

he was a good one year signing. thats all he was

Kris Russell came in as a siutable #4 and added much needed depth. He did his role well and should be recognized as such. But we should also see there is better fits out there that could move us from simply good, to contender. Its like if you go to Taste of Edmonton and you are really hungry, so you go to the first stand there and get a hot dog. It turns out to be pretty good and fills you up a bit. You dont go and spend $50 getting 10 hot dogs because it satisfied you, you walk around and find the best good you can

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
Russell is a stop gap there's zero way he should be extended.

Pouliot hasn't been good either.

The Oilers want to be contenders. You don't do that by extending a defense-only LH defensemen playing his offside on pace for 8 points.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I wouldn't touch Shattenkirk with a 10" pole. The guy isn't interested in playing outside of the States. IMO, he is way over-rated and sheltered by the Blues stack of competent dmen, very mediocre defensively at best. The cost to get him would be exhorbitant, especially if you can't sign him. And if you did sign him, the amount and term would be ridiculous for what you get. If you're going to go after someone, it better be a bigger fish than Shattenkirk.
fair enough. I wouldn't mind if Chia goes after bigger fish.

Kris Russell came in as a siutable #4 and added much needed depth. He did his role well and should be recognized as such. But we should also see there is better fits out there that could move us from simply good, to contender. Its like if you go to Taste of Edmonton and you are really hungry, so you go to the first stand there and get a hot dog. It turns out to be pretty good and fills you up a bit. You dont go and spend $50 getting 10 hot dogs because it satisfied you, you walk around and find the best good you can
exactly :handclap:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kris Russell should NOT be extended. Period.

I mean honestly, we should be upgrading our D to a Shatty, Barrie, or any RHD PMD, not settling with Kris freaking Russell.

he was a good one year signing. thats all he was

Shatty is not coming here. Give up on that dream. He's going to the Rangers or some other American team.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
It wasn't a good game. The Wild capitalized on every mistake we made.
Another thing is our offence could not work around the mass of bodies/sticks in front of the net and could not get their sticks on rebounds. I saw so many rebounds that if our player had a stick free it was a for sure goal.

The Wild did everything in their power to make their goalie look good. We did not

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ive said numerous times I like the player. Ive noted him in his games nearly every time. Ill call out any player for a horrible game. If Larsson/Klefbom/Benning play as bad as he did last night ill be calling for a benching as well

Russell has an army of people waiting to jump on a grenade for him. How he gets ALL the praise for a turn around and escapes any critcism is beyond me. He had a absymal game, we can all agree on that. We cant afford absymal games from players in a top 2 line role

Pouliot (advanced stat darling) should be benched as well if he has another game like this one

Just so I have this right. If Larrson or Klefbom have a bad game, you would bench them?

I'm not jumping on any grenades for anyone. Russell has his limitations. We all know that and can see it. And I'm not advocating to not look for upgrades. A good GM is always doing that. But he's done a very good job here and helped to settle things down OVERALL, last night's game notwithstanding (which was brutal). Personally, I would consider signing him for 3 mill for 2 years. If he asks for upwards of 4 and multiple years, I walk away.

Now, if some young stud walks into our life as a potential trade acquisition, then you move the dial over there. I'm sure Chia is always looking for that elusive RHD PP guy that doesn't bleed goals defensively and has a nice upside.

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Pretty clear the all star break disrupted the roll the team was on. Can't let it turn into a losing streak. As good as the standings looked at the break, an extended losing streak would allow kings flames jets etc the lane they need to catch up.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Last night we saw the Kris Russell I was afraid we signed. Hopefully it's just an aberration and he goes back to being the quietly dependable shot blocker he's been otherwise.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Hes been below average for a while. He doesnt deserve a benching based on one game, but if he plays like that again then yes, he deserves a benching. We cant have players single handily costing us games and valuable points. Id have no issue playing Gryba or Osterle for a game while he sits. We finally have depth on D, we should use that depth. That means benching poor preforming D

Russell has played quite well on the whole, he deserves an opportunity to play through some struggles, not a benching at the first sign of issues, also neither Gryba or Oesterle can carry his jock, they are both #8 d-men on a good team, Russell is a 4/5 tweener, they are miles apart in terms of ability.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Just so I have this right. If Larrson or Klefbom have a bad game, you would bench them?

I'm not jumping on any grenades for anyone. Russell has his limitations. We all know that and can see it. And I'm not advocating to not look for upgrades. A good GM is always doing that. But he's done a very good job here and helped to settle things down OVERALL, last night's game notwithstanding (which was brutal). Personally, I would consider signing him for 3 mill for 2 years. If he asks for upwards of 4 and multiple years, I walk away.

Now, if some young stud walks into our life as a potential trade acquisition, then you move the dial over there. I'm sure Chia is always looking for that elusive RHD PP guy that doesn't bleed goals defensively and has a nice upside.

Not a bad game, a brutal game and key reason for a loss. We cant not afford to be losing game to poor individual performance. If he is as bad next game and indication that he wont rebound in the immediate future I sit him easily. I would do this for any D as well.

Sure we have a 95% of whatever chance of playoffs. But that could start to slip away mighty fast. This team is so inexperienced that they could go thru very bad stretch and a vet team like Kings and Preds could go on hot streaks and kick us out of playoffs. Every 2 points is crucial. So yes id sit vets if they were playing poorly

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not a bad game, a brutal game and key reason for a loss. We cant not afford to be losing game to poor individual performance. If he is as bad next game and indication that he wont rebound in the immediate future I sit him easily. I would do this for any D as well.

Sure we have a 95% of whatever chance of playoffs. But that could start to slip away mighty fast. This team is so inexperienced that they could go thru very bad stretch and a vet team like Kings and Preds could go on hot streaks and kick us out of playoffs. Every 2 points is crucial. So yes id sit vets if they were playing poorly

Obviously if a guy is not listening, or giving the effort, or making the same mistakes game after game after game, something has to be done. But I would think that a veteran deserves some leeway for having one bad game. And I think TM thinks the same way. I bet Russell plays tomorrow night.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Russell has played quite well on the whole, he deserves an opportunity to play through some struggles, not a benching at the first sign of issues, also neither Gryba or Oesterle can carry his jock, they are both #8 d-men on a good team, Russell is a 4/5 tweener, they are miles apart in terms of ability.

Agreed, some sanity does prevail here now and then.:handclap:

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
TSN's such a damn joke. They went 7-0-1, did they get a mention over the likes of Kadri's playlist and cat? They lost one game in nine in regulation and its can they bounce back? :shakehead

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
TSN's such a damn joke. They went 7-0-1, did they get a mention over the likes of Kadri's playlist and cat? They lost one game in nine in regulation and its can they bounce back? :shakehead

Seems valid to me. If they lose the next game convincingly (which is quite possible being that it's the Preds), it could easily initiate a downward spiral against the East teams (which the Oilers have struggled with at times). Meanwhile Calgary is absolutely beating the **** out of the Wild tonight and have a bunch more games than us over the next week. Things could be looking very bleak in here in week's time.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Seems valid to me. If they lose the next game convincingly (which is quite possible being that it's the Preds), it could easily initiate a downward spiral against the East teams (which the Oilers have struggled with at times). Meanwhile Calgary is absolutely beating the **** out of the Wild tonight and have a bunch more games than us over the next week. Things could be looking very bleak in here in week's time.

Good thing we're 11 points ahead of the Flames then. We would have to lose 6 games straight and them win 6 games in a row for them to gain a single point lead on us.

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
How does calgary pump the wild and they light us up yet we destroy calgary. Nhl u crazy

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
How does calgary pump the wild and they light us up yet we destroy calgary. Nhl u crazy

They probably only watched video on the Oilers and shutting down McDavid, ignoring the Flames completely as an easy win with Dubby in net

KneeOnKnee

Jun 14, 2007
Alberta
They probably only watched video on the Oilers and shutting down McDavid, ignoring the Flames completely as an easy win with Dubby in net

I agree with this, teams are now giving us their 'A' game now compared to years past just something else we need to over come. They know we are no longer an easy 2 points and don't just come in here with half ass efforts thereby allowing us to catch them offgaurd.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
On the first goal against, Sekera had two opportunities to break up the play against two different Wild players. Russell also lost a man on that play. Draisaitl got played by Koivu on the half-wall in the Oilers own end for the second goal. He was just too slow to make a pass after Russell chipped it out to him. Russell's chip may not have been far and-or hard enough though. The cycle leading up to this goal began after a Sekera turnover off of a breakout pass attempt. I thought the Wild were tougher on the cycle and dictated the play more than the Oilers did in the first, but the latter didn't play poorly per se. Number of shots and scoring chances were pretty close. Early in the second, the Oilers got scored on again because Russell lost his man behind the net during a cycle and Hendricks had no good position on his man in the low slot. Benning didn't check hard enough so that Wild player had a good pass. It started though because of a very weak and pointless turnover by Pouliot. Then he didn't engage the Wild opponent, nor did he play well positionally and with stick work. Instead he collapsed around the slot leaving the right point open and then lackadaisically and reactively spread out toward that point man, giving him all the time and space needed to make a pass. They got beaten down on the cycle on that one. at that point the Oilers were in the hole and didn't really have a chance of getting out of it. Overall Russell, Sekera, Talbot, and Draisaitl played poorly defensively on this night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad