Post-Game Talk: Wild 4 Oilers 3 - Not so Special (Teams)

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Let's put the top 5 pick that we're counting on to carry the offense on the right side for the future with Lucic and Strome. Meanwhile we'll put the undersized underskilled grinder on the first line again because he's proven to be so effective there in the past..

I don't get it. It makes even less sense if chiasson is scratched too.

Todd makes my head hurt

Maybe Strome and Lucic went to Finnish summer school :sarcasm:

Thursday will be "interesting"...probably for the wrong reasons

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I like how Yamamoto has played, except he isn't getting much done offensively. It's worth trying Puljujarvi there. I also think Marody should be back in the lineup, and Gravel and Bouchard defensively.

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
Lucic-Strome-Marody
Caggiula/Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Gravel-Bouchard

I wouldn't make too many changes after one loss where they out-played the opposition...

I would put Jesse on the 1st in place of Yama but I said that before last game...I suspect Todd won't put him where he'll succeed and still try to force a round peg in a square hole.

I wouldn't make anymore changes up front. Marody should get his chance if they fail next game.

I'd insert either Gravel or EB but not both..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I want to see Draisaitl in Lucic's spot on the PP. If it was all about the screen, then put Chiasson there; however the Oilers are starting to lean heavily on the play where the low forward (Lucic) kicks out wide to the goalie's left to accept a pass from McDavid and then they try to center the puck for a one-timer. Lucic has the size to gain position, but doesn't have the passing ability of Draisaitl, who would be much better. Then a) find a right-shot with a quick release that can patrol the middle, or b) put RNH in the center and put a right shot with a quick release opposite McDavid to open up that one-timer option.

As much as I agree with spreading the wealth, if we put Drai on a 2nd line who is passing the puck for the one timers?

Drai is more adequately used on PP in finishing, than he is passing (although 5 on 5 he's a better passer) But on PP his lethal use is being the scorer. He scores many of our PP goals, except for last season anomaly.

Putting Drai on 2nd line not only removes a salient scoring thread from first line it means he's hog tied for getting good setups on 2nd line.

The sum result being we don't get Draisaitl goals anywhere on the PP. That's the last result we should want.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
I wouldn't make too many changes after one loss where they out-played the opposition...

I would put Jesse on the 1st in place of Yama but I said that before last game...I suspect Todd won't put him where he'll succeed and still try to force a round peg in a square hole.

I wouldn't make anymore changes up front. Marody should get his chance if they fail next game.

I'd insert either Gravel or EB but not both..

Honestly, Todd's excuse about JP's "defensive play" is a weak one. If JP struggles defensively, then why not put him with two of the best two-way players on the Oilers' roster? Playing JP with Khaira and Lucic is just going to exacerbate the defensive issues.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Our PP and PK have sucked, in general with occasional exceptions, for a few years now and we've already changed the majority of the coaching.
They need to change it up.

I've advocated for this before but..whatever.

I'd go back to basics and go to an old fashioned 2 defenceman PP and play the lines that players are familiar with but off wings.
As well, whatever that defensive system they're using for the PK has got to go but more on that later.

PP#1

JP-McD-Drai
Larsson - Klef
You have the passing/shooting abilities of McD and Drai, the slot shot with JP and the off-wing shot from the points with the D. A familiar spot for Klef but an opportunity for Larsson to up his offence. He has a strong shot,,just not accurate.
It's about style and familiarity.

PP#2

Reider-RNH-Strome/Chaisson
Bouchard - Nurse

Similar, but obviously weaker, setup. You need RNH to give this unit some semblance of skill.

When Rattie is ready, switch him with either Drai (Drai then goes to replace Strome/Chaisson) or Rattie replaces Strome.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
As much as I agree with spreading the wealth, if we put Drai on a 2nd line who is passing the puck for the one timers?

Drai is more adequately used on PP in finishing, than he is passing (although 5 on 5 he's a better passer) But on PP his lethal use is being the scorer. He scores many of our PP goals, except for last season anomaly.

Putting Drai on 2nd line not only removes a salient scoring thread from first line it means he's hog tied for getting good setups on 2nd line.

The sum result being we don't get Draisaitl goals anywhere on the PP. That's the last result we should want.
I want to keep Draisaitl on the top unit. My point was that if they Oilers are going to persist using the low-high play (i.e., Kuznetsov to Oshie play), then somebody better then Lucic needs to be the set-up man. Be it Draisaitl or RNH, the team needs a left shot that make effective passes to guy in the slot.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They are something like 2-18 in the last 5 games, that's god awful, i don't get how you can excuse that as decent. An overreaction would be to assume its clicking at all at this point.

Have a look at some of the PP's. This is where the stats do not tell the story. For example...one of the issues this team has lately is taking inopportune penalties. In the Nashville game both PP's where abbreviated due to the fact the Oilers took a penalty each time they had a PP. So the stat line is 0-2 and of course the registered chances are near zero.
Context is important here.
Watching the game and then comparing the stat lines is the only approach that gives an accurate sense of what is really going on here.

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
Draisaitl has the best one timer on the team but he doesn’t get to use it on the PP. I still think the Oilers should try McDavid as the setup man on the other side if TMac is not going to put a right handed shot there. This allows Draisaitl to stand where McDavid currently is and be a one timer threat. Right now, the opposition only has to worry about covering the passing lanes when they see the puck go to McDavid.

I read that McDavid worked on his one timer over the summer but I haven’t seen him use it much on the PP. He got a decent one off in one of the preseason game and tried again yesterday but whiffed on it.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'd be going with this lineup for the Chicago game.

RNH-Mcdavid-JP
Reider-Draisaitl-Chaisson
Lucic-Strome-Yamamoto
Khaira-Brodziak-Caggiula

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russel
Gravel-Bouchard

This will be Bouchard's last game then he gets sent to Jr. JP gets his chance on the top line.

PP1
JP-Chaisson-Drasaitl
Klefbom-Mcdavid

PP2
Yamamoto-Lucic-RNH
Bouchard-Mcdavid

Mcdavid stays out the full 2 minutes on both units.

Reactions: Porkleaker

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Thanks. We've been better at D than I thought without Sekera. Klef playing some of his best hockey, Larsson, Russell been playing better again. We'll eventually be seeing Gravel more. Nurse has been up and down but still young. Along with Bouchard its pretty clear that the Oilers have bolstered D under Chia. That's one positive.

Still weak on wingers. That aspect is worrisome but McD and Drai leaning on goal scoring more, and needing to do that, is going to bag some results. We do need more depth scoring and some guys to get going. Can't always be the same guys.

Even though the team is doing better than I expected (I forecast an 80-90pt season) theres going to be choppy water with scoring.

The best thing is how committed the team has been to preventing goals and using all 5 skaters on the ice to do that. The Chicago game in that regard was better than anything we'd seen since 16-17. Doing it against a Hawks team with guys that can score was impressive.

I think this team should do well against pacific opposition. Those are the important battles. Central division games probably don't matter nearly as much. Our path is through Pacific, not wild card.

I didn't know what to expect this year... especially since I didn't expect them to do so poorly last year. I think Talbot returning to form and Klefbom playing simply outstanding, are key factors in our return to being a decent team.

From a D-perspective, we actually have a solid top 4. All the Russell haters should finally be silenced because when he's deployed properly, he is extremely stable and effective. The 3rd pairing is the only one that needs help - I have no idea why Gravel + Bouchard isn't the obvious choice for TMac. He's maybe hoping Benning will snap out of it? Garrison, in my estimation, is the worst of the 4 choices.

For the wingers, we are definitely weak - but we are so fortunate to have the best player in the game on our team. I'm in awe every time I watch and constantly tell myself that I've been lucky enough to witness both Gretzky and McDavid play for my team.

You're right, the Pacific is the way to go... I think we squeak in!

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I'd be going with this lineup for the Chicago game.

RNH-Mcdavid-JP
Reider-Draisaitl-Chaisson
Lucic-Strome-Yamamoto
Khaira-Brodziak-Caggiula

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russel
Gravel-Bouchard

This will be Bouchard's last game then he gets sent to Jr. JP gets his chance on the top line.

PP1
JP-Chaisson-Drasaitl
Klefbom-Mcdavid

PP2
Yamamoto-Lucic-RNH
Bouchard-Mcdavid

Mcdavid stays out the full 2 minutes on both units.

I'd throw Bouchard on that 1st unit instead, better/quicker shot that seems to make it through traffic while Klefbom always "whistles it wide" or its blocked.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I want to keep Draisaitl on the top unit. My point was that if they Oilers are going to persist using the low-high play (i.e., Kuznetsov to Oshie play), then somebody better then Lucic needs to be the set-up man. Be it Draisaitl or RNH, the team needs a left shot that make effective passes to guy in the slot.

Sorry for misunderstanding.

I'd be terrible, myself, admittedly, at configuring PP lines. Its definitely not something I have as a strength and so I try to stay clear on commenting too much on PP lines. I have a clearer picture of what works on regular lines but history has informed me I am incompetent at judging what PP lines should be. PP aligning is a nebulous ether of what should work on paper doesn't work, and what shouldn't work does. NHL PP analysis and results would probably confound philosophers..;)

jk aside top players, teams, coaches, have been mystified about what works on PP's and what doesn't. So that I don't feel alone. heh.

I think PP configuration is the one entity where McBlending probably makes some sense. Give units 5 games to see if they got anything and if it doesn't continue exploring additions to see if you land on something good.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
I thought we outplayed them and deserved a better fate. Their goalie outplayed Talbot. That winning goal doesn’t go in on Koskinen. Hopefully he gets the next start as he was pretty amazing in his only game this season. Talbot has been average at best.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'd throw Bouchard on that 1st unit instead, better/quicker shot that seems to make it through traffic while Klefbom always "whistles it wide" or its blocked.

I'd prefer him on the first unit also but if he's going back then there isn't a point. After he gets sent to Jr I'd put Bear or Benning in his place.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Delete this.

It doesn't follow the narrative.

kmSJa6V.jpg

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Have a look at some of the PP's. This is where the stats do not tell the story. For example...one of the issues this team has lately is taking inopportune penalties. In the Nashville game both PP's where abbreviated due to the fact the Oilers took a penalty each time they had a PP. So the stat line is 0-2 and of course the registered chances are near zero.
Context is important here.
Watching the game and then comparing the stat lines is the only approach that gives an accurate sense of what is really going on here.

I'm watching the games and seeing the stat line and it looks awful both ways to me. Even the games they've had good looks the power play is forcing it to work despite clear awkwardness and lack of easy passing lanes to set up shots.

Also just wanted to add that your earlier comment that no one complained about the PP until today is nonsense. I've mentioned how dumb it looks here almost every single game for instance, and I've seen lots others doing the same.

Reactions: FlameChampion

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Chaisson our after 4 goals in 6 games?

Drai got the first crack on getting Yamamoto going. Then when that didn’t work McDavid gets that honour. And now when not even the best player in the world can do it, drai has to take on that responsibility again?

Maybe Yamamoto just isn’t suited to a top 6 role at this point in his career....

Novel concept here, but perhaps the guy with 2 points in 11 games despite all but what... one game in top 6? Shouldn’t be in the top 6 anymore.

Made even more inane by the fact that the only production Yamamoto has had going back to preseason has been in a bottom 6 role.

Just makes no sense.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think it’s reasonable to expect one player out of the 17 who aren’t McDavid to step up each game. Just so happened to be Chiasson one game and Caggiula another game. McDavid is a PPG+ player, that’s a fact. Saying it like it’s a negative is pointless. He also makes more in salary as Hall and Sequin combined, so his contribution should be counted on.

Hockey doesn't really work like that though. Guys don't always just "step up on cue", that's kinda why having star players is valuable because they step up most of the time based on their exceptional ability. If you're betting the farm on "role players" stepping up with lower ability, it's always a gamble. Just because Chiasson is hot for 4 games doesn't mean automatically now Strome or Lucic will get hot for the next 4 or 5 games.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Just watched the game. They really threw that one away.

One of those is the SV% for a backup goalie on his team's 2nd game of a back to back on the road, and the other is a starting goalie at home with rest.

Special teams and goaltending lost us that one. I wonder how long Lucic stays on PP1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad