Post-Game Talk: Wild 4 Oilers 3 - Not so Special (Teams)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm watching the games and seeing the stat line and it looks awful both ways to me. Even the games they've had good looks the power play is forcing it to work despite clear awkwardness and lack of easy passing lanes to set up shots.

Also just wanted to add that your earlier comment that no one complained about the PP until today is nonsense. I've mentioned how dumb it looks here almost every single game for instance, and I've seen lots others doing the same.

I disagree. I am seeing many good looks and a lack of finish.

As for the complaining...it skyrockets on here after a loss. That is a statement of fact.
Its always been that way on here.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
There is little hope of scoring on an goalie pulled situation if you insist on putting Lucic, with the worst reflex action on the team, out there every time in the last minute. I just can't believe this coaching. Yah, you paid $6M for him, but don't use him in the most urgent scenarios just because of it.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
There is little hope of scoring on an goalie pulled situation if you insist on putting Lucic, with the worst reflex action on the team, out there every time in the last minute. I just can't believe this coaching. Yah, you paid $6M for him, but don't use him in the most urgent scenarios just because of it.

McLellan maybe enjoys setting up Lucic for failure and letting him feel embarrassed? Maybe a secret dark pleasure he has. He had a great old time doing it last year gluing him to McDavid for 2 months straight while we watched him drag his butt around barely able to even touch the puck.

Had a great flubbed chance late last game that he can stew on.

Reactions: BlackDogg

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
McLellan maybe enjoys setting up Lucic for failure and letting him feel embarrassed? Maybe a secret dark pleasure he has. He had a great old time doing it last year gluing him to McDavid for 2 months straight while we watched him drag his butt around barely able to even touch the puck.

Ya I don't get it - you don't have to worry about intimidating or checking the hell out of someone at that point in the game. You want people who can put the puck in the net.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Chaisson our after 4 goals in 6 games?

Drai got the first crack on getting Yamamoto going. Then when that didn’t work McDavid gets that honour. And now when not even the best player in the world can do it, drai has to take on that responsibility again?

Maybe Yamamoto just isn’t suited to a top 6 role at this point in his career....

Novel concept here, but perhaps the guy with 2 points in 11 games despite all but what... one game in top 6? Shouldn’t be in the top 6 anymore.

Made even more inane by the fact that the only production Yamamoto has had going back to preseason has been in a bottom 6 role.

Just makes no sense.

I'll f***ing lose it if Drai has to try to get Yama going again. WTF?

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
The Oilers weren't too bad offensively, especially considering they were playing the Wild, but special teams killed them yesterday evening. I think they were giving too much room to opposition at the half-walls and points on powerplays.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Oilers weren't too bad offensively, especially considering they were playing the Wild, but special teams killed them yesterday evening. I think they were giving too much room to opposition at the half-walls and points on powerplays.

I agree.
The Oilers were the better 5x5 team and thats a really good sign because Minny is a very good veteran team that is very tough to play against 5x5. No shame in losing a very close game to that team.
Special teams just need to be worked on and they should have more time for that now.

With regards to the PK specifically...it has been good until recently.
To me they seemed to be shrinking back to the middle of the ice as a 4 man unit instead of pressuring and closing off the passing/shooting lanes. Old habits creeping back in....nothing that a practice day or 2 cant solve.
I think now that the team is settling into more of routine (the crazy travel is behind them) these practice habits can really be reinforced.
I dont see a lot of cause for concern just yet.

Reactions: Hippasus

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

If you are forced to keep Lucic at least don't use him in any significant role. Maybe the humiliation will force him to ask for a trade or quit.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The team had literally 8 chances to change the course of that game and salvage at least a point... and if even 1 of those opportunities went differently... they would likely have a W now (as they are often money in OT).

This was a bad result but the overall effort level outside of the terrible special teams play was solid.

I'm hoping they come out and play another strong 5 on 5 game against Chicago just like they did vs Minny except do something better than zombie-bad on the special teams.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
You can throw lots of excuses on this one, refffing, Talbot not playing the greatest, etc but what sunk us was the fact that we didn't put this garbage team away early in all the chances we were given. Wild had no place in this game. They didn't deserve one point let along taking both. We let them hang around all game and they made us pay. Painful to lose to that team.

Learn this lesson, move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad