Post-Game Talk: Wild 4 Oilers 3 - Not so Special (Teams)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Every other player gets their chances in topline. Jesse never gets his. Yamamoto has played now like 8 periods with McDavid and Nuge, he has 0 goals. If I am not mistaken Jesse has 1-2 shifts and 1 goal.

Strome and Lucic were dominating the Corsi battle early in the year. Now these few games with Caggiula they have been outplayed. Caggiula is probably only player who has under 50% Corsi with McDavid. He is max 4th liner.
Yama had about 5-6 games up with the big line. More like 15-17periods.

Reactions: McCombo

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not overly bothered with the loss. These things happen. We've been on the winning end of a lot of 1 goal games and of course OT results. We're going to win more close games than we lose.

We've had a good stretch run, and it pulled us out of the dire situation that was forecast after the first 2 losses. So that I'll take where we are at anytime considering the schedule has been difficult.

People need to reconsider that making playoffs will be easier in pacific this season. I don't think it will take more than 90pts to make a Pacific 3rd spot this season. Its reasonably clear it will be easier to nab that spot than a wild card. Competition for wild card will be harder than just getting in through pacific.

This Oilers team will not in my view be a 100pt team. I don't see that. But if they work hard they can be in 90pt range if they stay healthy.

Hey, its nearly November this season and we're in the mix again. Teams are even playing us as if we are good. We've been good.

Reactions: Nunymare and Aerrol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Every other player gets their chances in topline. Jesse never gets his. Yamamoto has played now like 8 periods with McDavid and Nuge, he has 0 goals. If I am not mistaken Jesse has 1-2 shifts and 1 goal.

Strome and Lucic were dominating the Corsi battle early in the year. Now these few games with Caggiula they have been outplayed. Caggiula is probably only player who has under 50% Corsi with McDavid. He is max 4th liner.

It is time for Jesse to get that chance. Yamamoto has done nothing with Drai or with Connor. If we move Kassian I could see Caggiula on the 4th line RW. IMO Brodziak needs to be better or else he might start being in the PB with Khaira down the middle.

Reactions: Cypress and McCombo

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I'm not overly bothered with the loss. These things happen. We've been on the winning end of a lot of 1 goal games and of course OT results. We're going to win more close games than we lose.

We've had a good stretch run, and it pulled us out of the dire situation that was forecast after the first 2 losses. So that I'll take where we are at anytime considering the schedule has been difficult.

People need to reconsider that making playoffs will be easier in pacific this season. I don't think it will take more than 90pts to make a Pacific 3rd spot this season. Its reasonably clear it will be easier to nab that spot than a wild card. Competition for wild card will be harder than just getting in through pacific.

This Oilers team will not in my view be a 100pt team. I don't see that. But if they work hard they can be in 90pt range if they stay healthy.

Hey, its nearly November this season and we're in the mix again. Teams are even playing us as if we are good. We've been good.

When you're positive, that makes me think we're going to win the Cup!

It's clear that you've been really pleased with the Oilers this last little stretch. I agree with you. While a win would have been great, and a failure of special teams is what lost it for us, we're still sitting in a great spot. This was the hardest stretch of games in the entire season, and we haven't yet even played a Pacific Team!

We've got holes, but so does every team... and we're able to bail out the ship faster than it's sinking at this point.

Looking forward to the rest of the season even more!

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I've said it before & I'll say it again, the Oilers are the worst team in the league when sitting at home waiting for a team that played the night before. It's just incredible.

I might excuse this game because the Oilers were playing their 3rd game in 4 days, & that's a real thing, but this problem dates back to the early 2000's. Just for reference, I'm pretty sure they had a losing record in this scenario(when you eliminate loser points & just count those as losses) in 05-06 when they went to the Stanley Cup final & this was a huge, huge problem in years proceeding this & obviously during the decade of darkness.

It's ****ing ridiculous.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I like how Yamamoto has played, except he isn't getting much done offensively. It's worth trying Puljujarvi there. I also think Marody should be back in the lineup, and Gravel and Bouchard defensively.

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
Lucic-Strome-Marody
Caggiula/Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Gravel-Bouchard

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
When you're positive, that makes me think we're going to win the Cup!

It's clear that you've been really pleased with the Oilers this last little stretch. I agree with you. While a win would have been great, and a failure of special teams is what lost it for us, we're still sitting in a great spot. This was the hardest stretch of games in the entire season, and we haven't yet even played a Pacific Team!

We've got holes, but so does every team... and we're able to bail out the ship faster than it's sinking at this point.

Looking forward to the rest of the season even more!

Thanks. We've been better at D than I thought without Sekera. Klef playing some of his best hockey, Larsson, Russell been playing better again. We'll eventually be seeing Gravel more. Nurse has been up and down but still young. Along with Bouchard its pretty clear that the Oilers have bolstered D under Chia. That's one positive.

Still weak on wingers. That aspect is worrisome but McD and Drai leaning on goal scoring more, and needing to do that, is going to bag some results. We do need more depth scoring and some guys to get going. Can't always be the same guys.

Even though the team is doing better than I expected (I forecast an 80-90pt season) theres going to be choppy water with scoring.

The best thing is how committed the team has been to preventing goals and using all 5 skaters on the ice to do that. The Chicago game in that regard was better than anything we'd seen since 16-17. Doing it against a Hawks team with guys that can score was impressive.

I think this team should do well against pacific opposition. Those are the important battles. Central division games probably don't matter nearly as much. Our path is through Pacific, not wild card.

Reactions: Aerrol and slaman

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Game was lost between the pipes and special teams were too terrible to have a chance to win. Also coaching gave more for Min than for us. Todd put Drake on first line and after that 97 was playing 4 vs 5 hockey.
Refs were ok.

Better change lineup, take players on good rest in and let back up play. Can’t go much worse.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
RIP Jesse, maybe he can help Strome and Lucic score lmao

If it doesn't happen, its back to pressbox you go JP! How dare you not score or help Lucic/Strome score while I give Caggiula better minutes and opportunities.

Seriously, f*** Todd. Favoring a bottom 6 small 13th-14th forward over a recent top drafted 6'4 Finn who's still oozing with potential is just criminal.

Reactions: Aerrol

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I want to see Draisaitl in Lucic's spot on the PP. If it was all about the screen, then put Chiasson there; however the Oilers are starting to lean heavily on the play where the low forward (Lucic) kicks out wide to the goalie's left to accept a pass from McDavid and then they try to center the puck for a one-timer. Lucic has the size to gain position, but doesn't have the passing ability of Draisaitl, who would be much better. Then a) find a right-shot with a quick release that can patrol the middle, or b) put RNH in the center and put a right shot with a quick release opposite McDavid to open up that one-timer option.

Oilers49er

Jun 25, 2018
Unless Chiasson is injured it makes no sense why he is not in the line up.

This coach has no clue.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I want to see Draisaitl in Lucic's spot on the PP. If it was all about the screen, then put Chiasson there; however the Oilers are starting to lean heavily on the play where the low forward (Lucic) kicks out wide to the goalie's left to accept a pass from McDavid and then they try to center the puck for a one-timer. Lucic has the size to gain position, but doesn't have the passing ability of Draisaitl, who would be much better. Then a) find a right-shot with a quick release that can patrol the middle, or b) put RNH in the center and put a right shot with a quick release opposite McDavid to open up that one-timer option.

Simply put, get f***ing rid of the 5 man LHS/RHS units. A 2nd PP that has the likes of Strome, Garrison, Caggiula, Chiasson, Yamamoto, etc is not even a threat to score.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Simply put, get ****ing rid of the 5 man LHS/RHS units. A 2nd PP that has the likes of Strome, Garrison, Caggiula, Chiasson, Yamamoto, etc is not even a threat to score.
It's not about the total number of RHS/LHS and more about what handedness and skills each player requires to execute his role on the PP unit. As for loading up PP1 at the expense of the second unit... I think Pittsburgh and Washington demonstrate that it can work over the long-term.

Reactions: McDreamy

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
RIP Jesse, maybe he can help Strome and Lucic score lmao

Let's put the top 5 pick that we're counting on to carry the offense on the right side for the future with Lucic and Strome. Meanwhile we'll put the undersized underskilled grinder on the first line again because he's proven to be so effective there in the past..

I don't get it. It makes even less sense if chiasson is scratched too.

Todd makes my head hurt

Reactions: McAsuno

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Other teams haven't figured out a way to slow down Connor, but Todd has!

Here's for comparison's sake are the numbers with Jesse.

But Jesse's gotta learn to do the incoherent mumble things right.

Reactions: Aerrol and oobga

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Just to clarify this is sarcasm righ tlol

No, i want a roster full of small guys. We should also bench McDavid, he had a pedestrian game last night. Drai too; one time i thought he could skate harder and he didn't.

But did you see yamos hustle? I liked how even after he got bodied and gave away the puck at his blueline, trying 100%.

(.... when do i get my nhl coaching gig?)

Reactions: Oilers49er

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad