Post-Game Talk: Wild 4 Oilers 3 - Not so Special (Teams)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Benning, please send yourself down. Let's bring up Bear, who can actually shoot and control the puck on the power-play.

How to kill a penalty at home remains a problem.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
There has been a remarkable change in how good PP's have become league wide over the last few years. Seems like every team employs that drop pass to the trailing man to enter the zone now with great success. I remember years ago, teams would go entire PP's without even being able to set up.

I bring that up because we usually get set up with ease which traditionally has been the hardest part. We just can't do much when we are in that position and I think it is largely due to how ineffective Klefbom is at the top of the umbrella. He is not much of a one-timer threat, and is very slow with his passes. Telegraphs everything. You rarely see him make a quick one-touch pass to move things quickly and get the PK out of position.

I'd rather try Draisatil there. Best shot on the team and a threat to pass to either wing forehand or backhand.

Reactions: dustrock

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Benning, please send yourself down. Let's bring up Bear, who can actually shoot and control the puck on the power-play.

How to kill a penalty at home remains a problem.
Bear has been hurt. Jones or Gravel would be the callups if they were to go that route

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I didn't get to see the first two periods but in looking at just the hilights, the Oilers were beaten by a goalie who was on last night. The PK of course shoulders a huge part of the blame as well, but the Oilers had numerous grade A chances they couldn't bury.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Ehh, not a great night for Talbot, being outplayed by Stalock, but not bad.
Darnell, Drake, and the third pair all ate it hard tonight.

I was quite positive with Lucic's game the first few games this year, but he is certainly squandering a lot of scoring chances lately. Need more from him.
And just one goal from Strome, is that too much too ask??

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Ehh, not a great night for Talbot, being outplayed by Stalock, but not bad.
Darnell, Drake, and the third pair all ate it hard tonight.

I was quite positive with Lucic's game the first few games this year, but he is certainly squandering a lot of scoring chances lately. Need more from him.
And just one goal from Strome, is that too much too ask??

I think Lucic and Strome need a shot of this stuff:

1-500x500.jpg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
0/5 on the PP

3 goals against on 3 PKs.

That's the game. Just one PP goal for, and one less against, and that's the game.

That last PP goal in particular was just wrong. Late in the game and we put up that awful performance.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
0/5 on the PP

3 goals against on 3 PKs.

That's the game. Just one PP goal for, and one less against, and that's the game.

That last PP goal in particular was just wrong. Late in the game and we put up that awful performance.
When the Oilers completely gassed the 5-on-3 I had a bad feeling. This team really seems to lack killer instinct and lets other teams hang around.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Are we done with this stupid 5 left PP yet?

Also how about this quote:
“They were pretty passive, I think, so it just felt like compared to the last couple teams we played, it felt like we had a little more time to set it up and settle down bobbled pucks. They backed off a little bit and stayed tight to the front of the net" - Parise

How in the hell does a PK not know to pressure the carrier? This was case in point on Granlunds goal, Nurse stood there like an oaf and let him walk in

Reactions: Cypress and McAsuno

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It was fun being in a playoff spot for a little bit.

Strome and Lucic need to be sent somewhere far, far away.

Seeing the gauntlet of a schedule they had for October, they're still in damn good shape being two points out of first. Too bad they weren't able to capitalize on the out of town scoreboard last night though.

Reactions: Oilhawks

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Seeing the gauntlet of a schedule they had for October, they're still in damn good shape being two points out of first. Too bad they weren't able to capitalize on the out of town scoreboard last night though.
Hopefully they rebound against the Hawks because after Detroit there's another gauntlet of a week awaiting them.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
1-3-4 in 11 games this season is what I care about. Last season is dead and buried. It sure seems like some people just can't let things go. Nothing about him busting his tail to back check and to draw that penalty tonight.

On pace for 29 points and that's with gravy PP minutes. He's part of the problem.

Reactions: McAsuno

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Hopefully they rebound against the Hawks because after Detroit there's another gauntlet of a week awaiting them.

Back to backs and the Caps and Lightning are no easy tasks; it'd be a huge step forward if they could replicate this past weeekend's performance in those two games. If they come away at least .500 out of those two games though, that would be moderately successful in my opinion.

LJellySlam

Dec 30, 2017
The only time I was semi confident in out defense & goaltending was with Gravel + Bouchard bottom pairing. Todd open your eyes.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Are we done with this stupid 5 left PP yet?

Also how about this quote:
“They were pretty passive, I think, so it just felt like compared to the last couple teams we played, it felt like we had a little more time to set it up and settle down bobbled pucks. They backed off a little bit and stayed tight to the front of the net" - Parise

How in the hell does a PK not know to pressure the carrier? This was case in point on Granlunds goal, Nurse stood there like an oaf and let him walk in

I seem to recall a lot of talk from Todd about how they were going to be a lot more aggressive on the PK this year. Yeah so much for that huh. If you compare the Oilers PK and Minnesota's PK it's pretty easy to see why one of them was a lot more effective last night.

Reactions: McAsuno

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Such a frusturating loss and basically a carbon copy of how we lost games last year. Hopefully it was a one off.

As for TMac........how can anyone think it makes sense to put Lucic on the PP1 and in the final minute while trying to tie a game. He has 2 goals in 50+ games and has zero ability to handle the puck. It is maddening. No logic justifies it.

And PC might need to trade the Drake.......TMac has a full on rager for the kid. How does a Coach give a small college FA signing every single opportunitty to succeed while continually giving your 4th overall 6 foot 4 winger the short end of the stick.

Reactions: McAsuno and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If Chiasson scores at a 40-50 goal pace, yes. That kinda illustrates the point though, how much better does the team look when they have reliable secondary scoring? For this last little spurt, Chiasson has played like a Tavares level addition (4 goals in 5 games). Unfortunately though that likely isn't going to last forever as he apparently tends to go on these hot streaks and then fizzle out. And McDavid still has a ppg+ in that stretch too.

I think it’s reasonable to expect one player out of the 17 who aren’t McDavid to step up each game. Just so happened to be Chiasson one game and Caggiula another game. McDavid is a PPG+ player, that’s a fact. Saying it like it’s a negative is pointless. He also makes more in salary as Hall and Sequin combined, so his contribution should be counted on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad