ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Barrie - C we have to worry about re-signing him
Muzzin - A we have to worry about re-signing him
Rielly - A we have to worry about re-signing him eventually

Last edited:

member 300185

How does any captain get experience before they become Captain? That is the most ridiculous thing I've read lately. Not every NHL captain grew up with a C attached to them. And captain of your OHL or tripleA team isn't the same as being an NHL captain anyways if that's the experience you're referring to. Matthews also had 40 as a rookie 19 year old, not a 28 year old. And Matthews is a better point a game and goal per game scorer than Tavares and not even in his prime yet. I love Tavares, but to discount Matthews because he's never been captain before is a bit looney. Matthews grew up playing above his age groups too, which is why he wasn't a captain.
Because they were captains of all their teams growing up. Yes players become captain at a young age, but at least they have some experience.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Matthews is NOT a good choice for captain. He has NEVER been a captain at any level. You don't give the captaincy to anyone because they score lots. A team captain needs to be a leader. Matthews is not that.

Give it to JT and be done with it. We can come up with a million excuses as to why the Leafs don't need a captain....or just do it and be done with it. Name one NHL team that won a cup without a captain? No, I am not challenging, I am genuinely interested. To busy to check myself.
He played with older players his whole life, and spent years playing pickup hockey and training alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nylander88

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I'm not sure there is a legit leader in that dressing room, why hasn't Rielly been given the C already?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Rielly or Matthews for C. No way in hell I want Tavares to get the C. He was supposed to be the difference against Boston and didn’t do much. I’d give him an A though.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
IMO naming a captain isn't going to change anything with the Leafs. Captain ain't going to change anything with the coach running the bench in a status-quo manner

It is a pretty safe bet that next year following will happen:

Rielly (A)
JT (A)
Muzzin (A)

If either of the above 3 are not available it will be Barrie, Hyman or Spezza

For what its worth my choice for Captain is Mo

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's time

If you want the players to drive this team into the future the players need to lead from the front and Babcock needs to give them the room to do it so we need a captain this season

Rielly would be my choice but I don't think you could go wrong with him Tavares or Matthews though

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Because they were captains of all their teams growing up. Yes players become captain at a young age, but at least they have some experience.

They were not. Most NHL stars were not captains because they were almost always playing up a level.

JT was captain of in OHL for 32 games (of 285 games he played in the OHL). That was his only experience as captain at least from the time he was 13 until he was 23 when he became captain of the Islanders.

Rielly was captain of his Midget AAA team for a season when he was 15.

Hyman spent two seasons as captain of the Hamilton Red Wings when he was 17 an 18.

The whole idea of thinking that experience as a captain during their teen years is valuable is extremely stupid. The whole idea that anyone thinks they know who should be captain when we are not in the room is just as stupid.

Reactions: qqaz

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
Our captaincy must be earned through playoff leadership and success. Until someone earns it then it is best to not name a captain. Go with 3 assistants this season. Rielly, Tavares and Matty will be named assistants for this upcoming season.
Yeah, this whole contract debacle would make it hard to justify making him captain. Even an 'A' may be hard for him at this point unless we are allowed three. Matthews, Tavares and Rielly are by far the best candidates for a 'C' right now, and the other two should be the assistants. There are a few other guys like Hyman, Muzzin and Barrie who could also put in a claim for an assistant job, but none of them may be here long enough and even then, they are quite a bit behind the first three.

ALTERNATE captains, not assistant....

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

member 300185

They were not. Most NHL stars were not captains because they were almost always playing up a level.

JT was captain of in OHL for 32 games (of 285 games he played in the OHL). That was his only experience as captain at least from the time he was 13 until he was 23 when he became captain of the Islanders.

Rielly was captain of his Midget AAA team for a season when he was 15.

Hyman spent two seasons as captain of the Hamilton Red Wings when he was 17 an 18.

The whole idea of thinking that experience as a captain during their teen years is valuable is extremely stupid. The whole idea that anyone thinks they know who should be captain when we are not in the room is just as stupid.
You don't know much about minor hockey do you? And do you have any idea of how big prep schools are in hockey? Do you have any idea of the different paths one can take to get to the NHL level?

As a coach in minor hockey including Jr B, there is no "playing up" anymore. That stopped 20 years ago. And every coach that has coached minor hockey will agree with me. There are no Atom players playing on a PeeWee team. There are no Peewee aged players playing Bantam. There are no major Bantam aged players playing major Midget. Did you know the Bantam draft is how players get to play is the Q, or OHL or WHL. Once you get to major Midget, they go to Junior A or B teams. Its a harder route. And all the best players in minor hockey teams are given the C and A's. And a rookie in just about every minor hockey system, NEVER wear a letter. But when they become a vet, then they usually get a letter if they are good enough. And that's where they get experience wearing letters. The same with High School hockey. The same with Prep schools.

There are exceptions. One of those exceptions is based on geography. Some towns are too far away from major places and players can have a mis match of teams with different players but those teams are usually house league hockey and there is no hitting.
Other exceptions are the "exceptional status" route and not many are approved anymore.

If a parent thinks their little darlings are better than the competition that they have to play, then the parent, if they have enough money, can find many different avenues for their kid to get different teams to play on, but I assure you, they will have their eyes opened when they find out the same age boys or girls have some amazing teams with coaches that are very experienced. In one particular case, the parent made all the proper applications and was removed from their Bantam team, only to go to a bigger city and not make the team at all. That hurts the Childs development.

The CHL has learned from past mistakes and it takes someone extra special to get exceptional status now. But what happens is they jump straight to jr B or Jr A hockey. Junior B is still part of the minor hockey system, but governed by different by laws. There are some kids that can play up from Midget to Junior A because Junior A is not associated with Minor hockey and have their own set of by laws so if a kid tries out, and is good enough to cut another kid, there is always an uproar from the parents if you can imagine. "your kid got my kid cut from his last year of hockey" says parents of the kid who got cut. There is a whole kettle of worms there and there have been many many people go to court because of this red tape BS.

So stop with the "playing up" BS. Its rare, but 99.9 percent of the kids just go up through the ranks at their age level and by Bantam, they will go into the Bantam draft if they are good enough, then they can go straight to major junior. 15 year olds can only play in 5 games in the WHL for instance. Then its back to Midget for them. Major Junior ages are 16 to 21. They changed the Bantam ages a couple years ago and now Bantam is 13 an 14 with a 15 overlap. Midget is 16 to 17 with a 15 overlap. Depends of the kid and his birthday.

Anyway, sorry for the book, but as I am checking the players and their ages, there are very few excepional players allowed anymore. I think there is a 2 rule in Ontario. Not sure what the rule is nation wide, but its not big.

Because someone is your favourite player is not good enough to name him captain. Its an important position on and off the ice. JT and Rielly are the best bets. And there have been players that had terrible seasons after they were named captain. Thats a lot of pressure to put on a 22 year old.

Here is a list of Captains that had the C removed for various reasons. In a lot of cases its because their production went down. Lets not mess with Matthews head and let him play for a few years wearing an A. JT can groom him.

Top 15 NHL Captains Who Were Stripped Of The 'C'

member 300185

And for all you Matthews supporters, how about you come up with reasons why Matthews should be the Captain before JT. And not "because he's my favourite player" There are hundreds of players in the past who were the best player on the team but didn't wear the C. Patrick Kane for instance. Easily the best Hawk and never wore the C. Toews is the captain of the Hawks.

Reactions: Al14

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
This is what I like.
Luv dat too that's what we bout sire. Other combinations would also twerk, but this would be the tightest one. We bout announce sire, oh we bout to announce. We aint't he treal toronto maple leafs (legendary) until we once have that captain again. Period. Some other cities can win the cup without, not many, but some, but we can't. Period, toronto should always have that g-code running in theirs. Captain, some thugs, get the crowd going like tucker domi corson roberts sundin belfour did etc. Clark and burns. And all. With the right captain and some lil thugs (homies) we can and will once again get that crowd. I know it in my bones and then some.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Dubas doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelz. Everyone's a captain. Lirl

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You don't know much about minor hockey do you?

Yawn. I am not reading that.

You can have your little fit all you want. The team will decide who will be the next captain and when and no one on here knows a thing about what goes on in the room. I haven't said a word about who should be captain because, unlike you, I am not arrogant enough to think that positions based on nothing are worth anything. Doesn't change the fact that Tavares was captain for a grand total of 32 games between when he was 13 and 23 - but the Islanders made him captain because the lack of experience to be captain is pure BS. Morgan Rielly was never captain of his major junior team even during his D+1 season. So your screed about experience being needed to be captain is pure nonsense.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
It's time

If you want the players to drive this team into the future the players need to lead from the front and Babcock needs to give them the room to do it so we need a captain this season

Rielly would be my choice but I don't think you could go wrong with him Tavares or Matthews though

I would prefer that Mo get the C...but methinks they will give it to AM in hopes he won't leave in 5 years. That is about the only possible reason I could see AM being the captain. He really doesn't exude leadership IMO.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I'd name Matthews captain.

For anyone thinking he hasn't stepped up or earned it yet, I can't really argue, but I have a hunch that he's the kind of player that will rise up and prove he's The Man once you slap the C on his jersey.

If he was a race horse, I believe he'd be the kind that if he gets off to a quick lead he'll blow the field away. If he starts out behind, he'll fade. Being the top minute forward, the guy on the ice when you need to score, and with the C is where he'll shine.

No question Reilly would be a solid choice, so would Tavares, but no question Auston is the franchise player. Matthews knows it, the fans know it, his teammates know it. The brass should make sure he knows they believe it too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad