News Article: Why the time has come for the Leafs to name a captain

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Matthews. Matthews shows up, 1st overall pick, flashy new face of the franchise, and delivers. 40 goals and playoffs immediately. Tavares isn't even in a Leafs sweater if not for Matthews being here and giving this franchise a shot in the arm (think Stamkos). Love Mo, as he seems to be a good leader, but it's just Matthews for me. I want him on the ice more than any other Leaf in the dying moments of a game. He's who we count on. He's a generational star.

Matthews- C
Rielly- A
Tavares- A

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Either Rielly or Tavares.

Matthews and Marner ruined the teams cap situation and probably our Stanley Cup projections by being selfish (Dubas too for handing out that stupid contract).

After this year we won't even have a defense core. Year after Freddy will be gone too.
If the team didn't like Matthews contract ask, they would still be negotiating. The guy signed in January so the team knows how much money they have to work with.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Rielly would be a great captain, but the captaincy is alot of pressure for a dman in this market

Tavares has been captain, and as a veteran he should help groom/support the next captain

Auston Matthews is my guy

Marner has lost any chance of being captain with these negotiations

Matthews = C
Rielly = A
Tavares = A

Marner = A* When there is an injury

member 300185

I'm not overly concerned if it doesn't happen, but yes, I think we've been without a captain long enough.
Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Rielly
We have some excellent candidates
Pick one
Matthews is NOT a good choice for captain. He has NEVER been a captain at any level. You don't give the captaincy to anyone because they score lots. A team captain needs to be a leader. Matthews is not that.

Give it to JT and be done with it. We can come up with a million excuses as to why the Leafs don't need a captain....or just do it and be done with it. Name one NHL team that won a cup without a captain? No, I am not challenging, I am genuinely interested. To busy to check myself.

member 300185

Rielly or Tavares. Not Matthews.
Agreed. People here that are Matthews fans feel that he should have it but he has literally NO experience. This is the NHL, not the place to "try things".

member 300185

Matthews. Matthews shows up, 1st overall pick, flashy new face of the franchise, and delivers. 40 goals and playoffs immediately. Tavares isn't even in a Leafs sweater if not for Matthews being here and giving this franchise a shot in the arm (think Stamkos). Love Mo, as he seems to be a good leader, but it's just Matthews for me. I want him on the ice more than any other Leaf in the dying moments of a game. He's who we count on. He's a generational star.

Matthews- C
Rielly- A
Tavares- A
...that has NO experience....ever... being a captain....for any team in his life.

Give it to JT. He scored 47 goals, not 40. He has tons of experience being a captain and he isn't injured all the time.

Reactions: Al14

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Not aware of the team interaction in 'the room',who is respected,who is listened to when it is needed most,who is best suited for any on -ice communication during a game with officials. My first inclination was Tavares, because of his experience and because of his work ethic. I am not sure he needed the added pressure as a Captain during his first year as a Leaf,so perhaps the timing was off. This year ,would be more suitable for Tavares to be Captain.

I was wondering if the added responsibility would catapult Matthews into a more serious player....as in ,not taking a shift off( apologies to those who disagree with my take,but I've seen it!) because he has the 'C' on the sweater.He has for the most part come as advertised and he seems to be a well spoken young man. The only other consideration,is that he might be gone in 4 or 5 years,so why bother. I would let him wait until after he re-ups as a Leaf so that Tavares can hand over the 'C' at that time.

If the team wants to avoid any potential ego conflicts,then the 'C' can go to Morgan,simply because he has been there long enough and has become a star player in the League and he is on the ice a lot!

Mitch isn't a consideration for me (favorite to watch) but his smarts warrant an 'A'.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why do we need to keep making threads about the Captain. Can we start containment threads for Captain discussion? Like the Marner Contract.
People are too lazy to search and add their important new thoughts to the previous threads containing the prior important new thoughts.

Reactions: Al14

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
My choice is Rielly because he's had the A for a few years now, isn't as standoff-ish with the media as Matthews can be from time to time, but has some personality and isn't as boring as Tavares.

He'd be the best choice.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Agreed. People here that are Matthews fans feel that he should have it but he has literally NO experience. This is the NHL, not the place to "try things".
This doesn't even make sense. Not only have young players been named captain, teams would've had to "try things" when Rielly was named assistant and JT captain at young ages.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
I think it's going to be Tavares.

Tavares - C
Rielly - A
Matthews - A

Is it voted by the players or a management decision?

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Matthews is NOT a good choice for captain. He has NEVER been a captain at any level. You don't give the captaincy to anyone because they score lots. A team captain needs to be a leader. Matthews is not that.

Give it to JT and be done with it. We can come up with a million excuses as to why the Leafs don't need a captain....or just do it and be done with it. Name one NHL team that won a cup without a captain? No, I am not challenging, I am genuinely interested. To busy to check myself.
I always thought it should be JT as well. A natural choice, elite Center who has been a captain in this league, and he’s already in our lineup. He would be a great guy to take the role and transition it to Matthews down the line.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I do think it's about time to just make a decision. Everyone who is some kind of candidate has been on the team for at least a year. With Rielly having quite a few years to his name and Matthews having a few by this point. Even Tavares has had at least a year and wouldn't have the C thrown at him without seeing how the team comes together.

It is just time to make a call on this. If it really matters then they have given it enough time and can pick the best candidate of the group they've got. If it doesn't then just pick someone, it's been a long time since Phaneuf was shipped out and the world won't end just by having a captain.

They didn't rush into a captain. But now just head into camp and make the call.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't like Matthews as a captain either. Don't find him endearing at all, if anything he's actually kinda off-putting tbh, and he doesn't battle as hard as he is capable of doing, plus he gets snarky with media at times which won't do him favours. Could he become one later in his career? Sure. But I really think Rielly is the right choice here.

Reactions: Hockey Tears

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Rielly is close, but doesn’t have the previous captain experience, and doesn’t seem like quite as much of a leader to me, though it’s hard to say without being in the locker room.
Weird, if anything I get the opposite vibe. He steps up for his teammates, he leads the defense night in and night out, is a consummate professional who always works hard and holds accountability, is good with media and has been involved in the community and philanthropic causes for many years now.

Plus, the way his teammates and coaches/management speak about him, he seems beloved and very respected amongst the team.

Rielly totally strikes me as a leader.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
...that has NO experience....ever... being a captain....for any team in his life.

Give it to JT. He scored 47 goals, not 40. He has tons of experience being a captain and he isn't injured all the time.
How does any captain get experience before they become Captain? That is the most ridiculous thing I've read lately. Not every NHL captain grew up with a C attached to them. And captain of your OHL or tripleA team isn't the same as being an NHL captain anyways if that's the experience you're referring to. Matthews also had 40 as a rookie 19 year old, not a 28 year old. And Matthews is a better point a game and goal per game scorer than Tavares and not even in his prime yet. I love Tavares, but to discount Matthews because he's never been captain before is a bit looney. Matthews grew up playing above his age groups too, which is why he wasn't a captain.

Reactions: JamesFord

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Weird, if anything I get the opposite vibe. He steps up for his teammates, he leads the defense night in and night out, is a consummate professional who always works hard and holds accountability, is good with media and has been involved in the community and philanthropic causes for many years now.

Plus, the way his teammates and coaches/management speak about him, he seems beloved and very respected amongst the team.

Rielly totally strikes me as a leader.

I recall Ferraro (I believe) saying during last season that Rielly is a guy in the dressing room that seems to be generally well liked by everyone, and that he goes out of his way to engage everyone in the room.

That embodies some real leadership there.

I'm all for Captain Mo ... Captain JT wouldn't be bad either. Matthews would be understandable but I'm not sure if he's there yet.

Either way I do believe it's time, this season, for the Leafs to pick that captain and identity.

Reactions: 1specter

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
Our captaincy must be earned through playoff leadership and success. Until someone earns it then it is best to not name a captain. Go with 3 assistants this season. Rielly, Tavares and Matty will be named assistants for this upcoming season.

They already tried that the past 3 years. Didn’t work.

Just put the C on somebody already (Matthews would be my choice) and be done with it.

No team has ever won a Cup without a captain.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Rielly would be a great captain, but the captaincy is alot of pressure for a dman in this market

Tavares has been captain, and as a veteran he should help groom/support the next captain

Auston Matthews is my guy

Marner has lost any chance of being captain with these negotiations

Matthews = C
Rielly = A
Tavares = A

Marner = A* When there is an injury
Totally agree with all of this. Except the spare "A". Not because you're wrong, just because with Babcock will always slap that on a Jason Spezza or a Jake Muzzin lol

Reactions: qqaz

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They already tried that the past 3 years. Didn’t work.

Just put the C on somebody already (Matthews would be my choice) and be done with it.

No team has ever won a Cup without a captain.
Those are the facts but if I had to pick one I would go with JT. He has been a team captain all his life. Matty and rielly grew up as assistants.

Reactions: SwaggySpungo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad