News Article: Why the time has come for the Leafs to name a captain

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
They won numerous playoff rounds. It's been 15 years since we have done that. So plenty. If you don't understand why any successful business has a CEO.... Or why any military has a commander.... I don't know what to tell you. Thinking a leader isn't necessary is the load of nonsense

You think winning a couple rounds is successful. I suppose we have different definitions of successful.

By sewing a C on Tavares, Rielly etc. jersey, that automatically make them anymore of a leader than they are today? Interesting.

Does you CEO at work walk around with a C sewn into his suit? If not, you should suggest that.

Reactions: Its not your fault

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
You think winning a couple rounds is successful. I suppose we have different definitions of successful.

By sewing a C on Tavares, Rielly etc. jersey, that automatically make them anymore of a leader than they are today? Interesting.

Does you CEO at work walk around with a C sewn into his suit? If not, you should suggest that.
So winning no playoff rounds is the same as winning numerous playoff rounds.

Quite the compelling argument. lirl

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I'm going to look at this captaincy debate from a different angle.

If you asked me today who I feel could step into the captaincy position today and serve in the position with great aplomb, I'd without hesitation call it a toss up between JT and Reilly. Both would be excellent choices and I don't think either would be the wrong answer.

If you asked me today which player elected to be the C of the Leafs that would most benefit the development of the player and the team as a whole, I'd without hesitation say that player is Auston Matthews.

This idea that a position like C can only be earned by past performance, experience and/or perceived loyalty by said candidate, I believe is myopic thinking. Sometimes, it pays to give more responsibility to certain personality types. In some instances, it elevates a person to greater heights both in performance and character. IMHO, AM34 fits the bill for such a scenario to play out.

Reactions: Jeypic

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
Matthews was most def. a pitbull in his rookie season. Part way through year 2 he just stopped giving a **** for whatever reason.

Yeah true...he just scored 34 goals in 62 games. Guy just doesnt care

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
So winning no playoff rounds is the same as winning numerous playoff rounds.

Quite the compelling argument. lirl

Like I said, we apparently have different definitions of successful. You think wining a few rounds over a number of years constitutes being successful. I don't.

You think sewing a letter on a jersey will help the team win more playoff rounds. I don't.

Agree to disagree.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Matthews seems to be all but lobbying for the C right now. Adds another angle to it. He's the only one I've noticed publicly musing about being named captain. How slighted would he feel if they gave it to Rielly or Tavares? I see the role as mostly ceremonial. The real leaders in the dressing room will have their influence on the team regardless of a letter on their jersey.

If giving Matthews the captaincy is what will keep him happy and in a Leafs jersey for the long term, I say give it to him. That same dynamic doesn't apply to JT (but it does to Rielly).

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Now this that truth thang: And y'all can say that I said so: tsn and so very medias is pushing the message through that they was given by the leafs organization. They've already selected the captain, it's gon be Matthews. And I is cool with it, he is one of the better selections. Also gives him that final kick and boost that'll make him one of the greatest ever played with our rear ends. Tsn pushed it through already and some others as well, even nhl.com. They is all connected. They started off cleverly giving tavares some talk that talk time, but right now is all matthews on them covers. Thats how they work. Many thought rielly or tavvy would get it, but its matthews. We can be glad, we could even see something new from our team and matthews next season. Training camp already. They givin him the young, last final boost. That's something else mayne :clap:

I knew it and told it first. Its official and y'all can mark it down. I knew it first, even earlier than some medias, not all, but some. I'm that fast on that. But this my thang, told it now.

Reactions: al secord

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I'm going to look at this captaincy debate from a different angle.

If you asked me today who I feel could step into the captaincy position today and serve in the position with great aplomb, I'd without hesitation call it a toss up between JT and Reilly. Both would be excellent choices and I don't think either would be the wrong answer.

If you asked me today which player elected to be the C of the Leafs that would most benefit the development of the player and the team as a whole, I'd without hesitation say that player is Auston Matthews.

This idea that a position like C can only be earned by past performance, experience and/or perceived loyalty by said candidate, I believe is myopic thinking. Sometimes, it pays to give more responsibility to certain personality types. In some instances, it elevates a person to greater heights both in performance and character. IMHO, AM34 fits the bill for such a scenario to play out.
I agree with this 100%

JT and Reilly are great leaders now. They’re in their prime. Near their ceiling.

This is a young team though. Growing fast. Having a young star grow up leading it could be a huge rallying point at times. Auston Matthews is capable now. He’s arguably the best hockey player... and he has the most potential for growth.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->