News Article: Why the time has come for the Leafs to name a captain

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Why the time has come for the Leafs to name a captain

Small excerpt:

Let’s start off by saying that the captaincy isn’t some magical element that’s going to put the Leafs over the top. Three straight first-round exits had zero to do with not having a captain. Furthermore, putting a “C” on someone won’t suddenly make the Leafs any more Stanley Cup-viable than they are already.

Leafs GM Kyle Dubas is already on record as a mild skeptic of its sometimes overstated importance, saying as much during a speech to Brock students at training camp in Niagara Falls last fall. He noted that marquee franchises in other sports, like the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, went long stretches without captains and challenged a questioner on what exactly would change on a team that had multiple leaders but no designated captain.

The franchise has never gone more than three seasons in a row without a captain. An unusual bit of history would be set then if the Leafs proceeded without one again this year. In fact, there are only eight captain-less seasons in Leafs history, five of which have come following Sundin’s decade-long run: 1986-87; 1987-88; 1988-90; 2008-09; 2009-10; and now the past three seasons.
Team president Brendan Shanahan has done plenty to honour more a century’s worth of history, including the reinvention of jerseys that celebrate the past and a Legends Row out front of Scotiabank Arena.

It’s time they start honouring this tradition again.

Article has some more info on former captains and breaks down some of the candidates for the C. Do you guys agree it is time? Personally, I do think it's time.

Reactions: qqaz

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm not overly concerned if it doesn't happen, but yes, I think we've been without a captain long enough.
Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Rielly
We have some excellent candidates
Pick one

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
until there's clearly a captain, I don't see why we would. Is there a clear captain? Tavares? Rielly? Mathews?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I would not include Marner as an excellent candidate.

Yeah, this whole contract debacle would make it hard to justify making him captain. Even an 'A' may be hard for him at this point unless we are allowed three. Matthews, Tavares and Rielly are by far the best candidates for a 'C' right now, and the other two should be the assistants. There are a few other guys like Hyman, Muzzin and Barrie who could also put in a claim for an assistant job, but none of them may be here long enough and even then, they are quite a bit behind the first three.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Yeah, this whole contract debacle would make it hard to justify making him captain. Even an 'A' may be hard for him at this point unless we are allowed three. Matthews, Tavares and Rielly are by far the best candidates for a 'C' right now, and the other two should be the assistants. There are a few other guys like Hyman, Muzzin and Barrie who could also put in a claim for an assistant job, but none of them may be here long enough and even then, they are quite a bit behind the first three.

I don't think we should let contract discussion cloud our perspective of the player's ability to lead.
If Marner was a candidate for a letter 8 months ago, he still is now.

Reactions: 54thecup

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Our captaincy must be earned through playoff leadership and success. Until someone earns it then it is best to not name a captain. Go with 3 assistants this season. Rielly, Tavares and Matty will be named assistants for this upcoming season.

Reactions: Blueboy

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
IMO we should just chose one of JT or Rielly. JT/Rielly/Marleau were the alternates last year, and Marleau is gone, so it’s between those two. Matthews and Marner both have captain potential one day, but they’re too young and immature right now.

I’d go with JT. He was captain for years with the Isles, seems like a natural leader, very mature, works really hard, and is also an elite player. Rielly is close, but doesn’t have the previous captain experience, and doesn’t seem like quite as much of a leader to me, though it’s hard to say without being in the locker room.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Theres likely Leafs who dont even know he doesnt have a contract.

If he doesnt miss a game, it will zero impact on the relationship with his teammates.

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
We're making this way more complicated than it has to be. Teams have captains. We should have one too. It has psychological and even some practical value (eg lobbying to refs). Just give it to Morgan and call it a day.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I don't think we should let contract discussion cloud our perspective of the player's ability to lead.
If Marner was a candidate for a letter 8 months ago, he still is now.

A captain of a team has to be committed to the team. If he decides to hold out, that is not the type of player any team should want leading. Especially when you had guys like Tavares, Rielly and Matthews to choose from; Rielly being an 'A' with the Leafs for 3 years now, Tavares getting the 'A' last year after being captain for the Islanders for 5 years before that, and Matthews being the face of the franchise.

Even before all of this, I had Rielly, Tavares and Matthews as my top 3. Marner was on the fringes of the conversation, but after all of this, I wouldn't even waste my time anymore. Marner was never a serious enough contender for the job.

Reactions: Brown Dog and qqaz

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
i fail to see any justification for making anyone other then tavares or rielly the captain. other then worrying about a flight risk in 5 years, i see nothing in matthews that warrants making a 22 year old kid the captain.

imo tavares has a bit more experience and age over rielly and should be captain based on his personality and demeanor with the press and fans but obviously relating to teammates is important as well. i can see a strong argument for rielly as well. something about matthews that just seems douchy and entitled to me.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Either Rielly or Tavares.

Matthews and Marner ruined the teams cap situation and probably our Stanley Cup projections by being selfish (Dubas too for handing out that stupid contract).

After this year we won't even have a defense core. Year after Freddy will be gone too.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Either Rielly or Tavares.

Matthews and Marner ruined the teams cap situation and probably our Stanley Cup projections by being selfish (Dubas too for handing out that stupid contract).

After this year we won't even have a defense core. Year after Freddy will be gone too.

It's really not that dire, and worst case you are trading one of Marner or Nylander to make enough room for a top end defenseman.

Freddy shouldn't be making nearly as much as many people think unless Dubas overpays him or he explodes in his last few years. Only Vezina or borderline playoff MVP's have really exceeded when he's making in cap percentage right now, and right now he is no where near either of those.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad