Why isn't there more talk about how good the Flyers are going to be?

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh
because they aren't going to be a good team in the 2017-2018 season

they arent even a good team right now on paper

they're a team that has potential to be good somewhere down the road. on paper. they need some more pieces and some time playing together to become a good team.

12 or 24 months from now the question the thread title asks will probably be a good question. in june 2017 nope.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's hard to have faith in Philly, especially with Giroux being so average of late. Management always seems to be blind to their flaws, especially in net. The history of Philly goaltending illustrates one aspect of the problem.

Their future is bright but who knows what they will do next year?

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
By the time their prospects hit their stride their current core of good forwards will be leaving their prime. On top of that the Pens and Caps aren't going anywhere, and the BJ's are younger and more promising.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
By the time their prospects hit their stride their current core of good forwards will be leaving their prime. On top of that the Pens and Caps aren't going anywhere, and the BJ's are younger and more promising.

I think this is an overblown idea. Sure, they'll be leaving their prime, but they're not going to stop drafting forwards and potentially trading for/signing younger and better ones. Good defense is a pretty finite resource, good forwards can be had. If (if...IF) the defense turns out as good as it can be, then they will be a very good team regardless.

It's not like the Sharks' top forwards are spring chickens, eh? Team is still a threat, sure they have Couture and a few other young engines, but they still give heavy minutes to guys like Thornton and Marleau. Thornton and Marleau are past their prime, Pavelski is 32 as well, but that doesn't render them ineffective players, it just means they weren't as good as they once were. Yes, Giroux and Voracek are expensive, but the cap will continue to rise and that'll become more manageable, and they'll have guys on bridge deals and ELCs also eating big minutes and scoring points. Do they not have Lindblom already, who should be quite good, and a top 2 pick that should be an 18 year old future top 6 center?

It's all potential, of course, but if you're granting that potential to a bunch of defensemen who aren't in the league yet, why also act like they'll never get another great young forward, particularly when it looks like they already have two in the bag in addition to a young and talented Konecny and a Couturier who isn't even 25 yet? And a pretty gigantic budget?

Basically, that narrative does not worry me one bit. Not like HF posters found the fatal flaw, I am quite sure the team is aware and is planning ahead.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
because they aren't going to be a good team in the 2017-2018 season

they arent even a good team right now on paper

they're a team that has potential to be good somewhere down the road. on paper. they need some more pieces and some time playing together to become a good team.

12 or 24 months from now the question the thread title asks will probably be a good question. in june 2017 nope.

Eh the flyers are a very good team on paper right now looking at who is slotted in. Having a good D is kinda important and the flyers were rostering MDZ on a down year, AMac, and Manning! On top of that Ghost was recovering from the same surgery G was and both had a sharp uptick in points at the end of the year. I think G had 10 pts straight and Ghost fished with a surprisingly high amount of points for what people say here.

This year we could have half of he D corp being new and good. For the poster saying the D won't hit their stride until 23/24, some of the flyers D are there some goalies too. The flyers have been very patient with their prospects and really worked with them in the AHL. They will more ready than typically seen out of rookie D. All in all they could have 6 rookies this year. The fourth line will be transformed and carrying players like Raffl and Laughton who were previously in our top 6.

The year after this the D corp could be completely replaced.

We missed the playoffs by a handful of wins. If goaltending had been what it was last year we easily make thr playoffs and the powerhouse leafs that could hardly hold their spot would be ours.

As far as the 2OA both possible players are high end talent. Certainly no one would discount seguin or hall right now. These guys will be as good or better considering their surrounding cast.

I think a lot of people will be surprised about the flyers next year. The only thing stopping them is the division. If we get a wild card spot we have a good shot at knocking off the pens and then things open up well. That's just next year...the following year we will be stocked and the year after a contender.

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh
Eh the flyers are a very good team on paper right now looking at who is slotted in. Having a good D is kinda important and the flyers were rostering MDZ on a down year, AMac, and Manning! On top of that Ghost was recovering from the same surgery G was and both had a sharp uptick in points at the end of the year. I think G had 10 pts straight and Ghost fished with a surprisingly high amount of points for what people say here.

This year we could have half of he D corp being new and good. For the poster saying the D won't hit their stride until 23/24, some of the flyers D are there some goalies too. The flyers have been very patient with their prospects and really worked with them in the AHL. They will more ready than typically seen out of rookie D. All in all they could have 6 rookies this year. The fourth line will be transformed and carrying players like Raffl and Laughton who were previously in our top 6.

We missed the playoffs by a handful of wins. If goaltending had been what it was last year we easily make thr playoffs and the powerhouse leafs that could hardly hold their spot would be ours.

As far as the 2OA both possible players are high end talent. Certainly no one would discount seguin or hall right now. These guys will be as good or better considering their surrounding cast.

I think a lot of people will be surprised about the flyers next year. The only thing stopping them is the division. If we get a wild card spot we have a good shot at knocking off the pens and then things open up well. That's just next year...the following year we will be stocked and the year after a contender.

that's a whole lot of things that need to fall into place

seems kinda unlikely that everything is going to click and all or the vast majority of these young players are going to play at a consistently high level

and all those very potential-filled young players won't mean squat without a solid goalie backstopping them

also thinking that they'd have a good shot to beat the pens in next year's playoffs is pure homerism

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So much of the Flyers' success is based on projection at this point. I think once they actually show, with on-ice results and not just fancy "top prospect pool" rankings, that they're a dominant team, they'll get their recognition.

NHL history is littered with examples of highly touted prospects who never reached their potential. So it's a wait-and-see with regards to the Flyers right now.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
It is all going to depend on how their d-prospects develop. If 2 of Morin, Sanheim, Myers reach their potential they Flyers will be really scary. If all 3 do, then they have the best defense in the NHL by a wide margin. That is a big "if" though.

I have faith that one of Hart or Sandstrom will become an elite goalie, or at least a quality starter.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

I'm all for people being optimistic about their team, but "team that hasn't won a playoff series in 5 years has a good shot to beat the back to back champs" crosses the line for me.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Remember when people were slobbering over Pittsburgh's defensive prospect pool a few years back? Turns out that most of them ended up as busts and all their AHL forwards became studs instead.
Maatta and Dumoulin were big contributors to two Stanley cups. Of course most of the prospect pool will bust, that's the nature of prospects.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
I expect the Flyers will continue to be Flyer-like.... pretty good, just not good enough. I've been a Flyers fan since 1967, I'm still bitter we wasted the Lindros years refusing to get a goalie.

Flyers just hate goalies.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Well, Carolina is built similarly but they are finding ways to improve their forward core. I like their dmen better too. Flyers need to improve their forward core and get an elite forward piece, maybe they can get it with the 2nd pick.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
the metro is a war zone... they are stuck with the Back to back cup champs, back to back president trophy winners, a young team that looked like it might win the presidents for the first half in cbj, the rangers, and the isle who are pressing hard to improve... then you have the Hurricane and their DCorps nipping at their heels... i meannim pretty sure the Flyers will be hands down better than the Devils for a while... maybe....

Lets also Say the Leafs are up and coming in the east and with proper coaching the Sabres might have a better long term framework than the Flyers..

Its going to take actually winning to make anyone take note if that team right now

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well, Carolina is built similarly but they are finding ways to improve their forward core. I like their dmen better too. Flyers need to improve their forward core and get an elite forward piece, maybe they can get it with the 2nd pick.

Wait...you are ripping on the Flyers forwards and praising the Canes?

Canes had 1 forward with 50 points....Flyers had 4

And yes, the Flyers are adding forwards. Konecny, Nico/Nolan, Lindblom(Swedish Forward of the Year)

Hextall built from the backend out. The goalie and defense pipeline is in place. Now come the forwards.

The Flyers also had 9 prospects at the WJC this past year...not including Provy and Konecny who could have went.

In the end, the Metro is going to be a bloodbath the next decade. Philly is going to be battle, but that battle is not going to be between 1/2 teams, it's going to be between 5-7.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
the metro is a war zone... they are stuck with the Back to back cup champs, back to back president trophy winners, a young team that looked like it might win the presidents for the first half in cbj, the rangers, and the isle who are pressing hard to improve... then you have the Hurricane and their DCorps nipping at their heels... i meannim pretty sure the Flyers will be hands down better than the Devils for a while... maybe....

Lets also Say the Leafs are up and coming in the east and with proper coaching the Sabres might have a better long term framework than the Flyers..

Its going to take actually winning to make anyone take note if that team right now

Yep, a lot of this, though I don't see the Islanders and Sabres escaping the muck any time soon. I think it's a safer bet that Giroux and Voracek return to form than things panning out in Buffalo and Brooklyn.

The Flyers will be back to mashing soon enough. Isn't in their nature to tread water for any extended period of time, and they are well set. Even if only one of Morin, Myers, or Sanheim reaches potential, Provorov is already a terrific defenseman out of the box and Ghost, while somewhat flawed, brings something very few defensemen do. Worst case scenario they have a pretty good defense, best case they have the best in the league. Most likely scenario is somewhere between: a very good defense with a good-to-very-good offense. And that indelible Philly Flyers snarl ya'll hate. And I am a pretty sardonic, unexcitable fan.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Bob MacKenzie was a huge advocate for the Flyers; but the Flyers need another 2-3 years. Their top potential guys are on the backend and blueliners take time to develop, unlike forwards.

I do not expect a huge leap forward this year; maybe slightly better and possibly squeak into the playoffs. I wager the upswing starts to take place 2018-2019 season and going forward. But in saying that, this was not counting on Nico/Patrick which should accelerate the process.

Whenever I listened to NHL Radio last summer, the Flyers were ALL they talked about. Maybe people are waiting to see how good they'll actually be this season.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Team Canada Jr Goalie: Carter Hart
Team Sweden Jr Goalie: Felix Sandstrom
Team Slovakia Jr Goalie: Matej Tomek

3 Goalies playing at the World stage in the Junior (more than any other NHL team) and that's not include Stolarz who seems to be getting better and has an outside shot.

You must not have been watching what Hextall is doing and stopped watching in 2014.

I expect the Flyers will continue to be Flyer-like.... pretty good, just not good enough. I've been a Flyers fan since 1967, I'm still bitter we wasted the Lindros years refusing to get a goalie.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
that's a whole lot of things that need to fall into place

seems kinda unlikely that everything is going to click and all or the vast majority of these young players are going to play at a consistently high level

and all those very potential-filled young players won't mean squat without a solid goalie backstopping them

also thinking that they'd have a good shot to beat the pens in next year's playoffs is pure homerism

It is a lot that needs to fall into place but that is the case no matter who is it is or they are when coming into the league. The flyers are in as good as it gets position with their prospects and now the gift of the 2OA. That adds to who they already have.

Goaltending is well taken care of. We have several guys who look fantastic.

As far as beating the pens. It's not that we are a sure bet, but no one can beat them. Other teams turn to mush against them, outside of Ottawa. The flyers have always played the pens well and match up well against their poor D, unlike Nashville. The flyers have eliminated Crosby before and can win in Pitt. I'm sure they still have a winning record in their new building. Add to that the pens have to have a hangover at some point.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I detest the franchise, so no fanboy nonsense here, just noting that while everyone is slobbering over the Leafs, Oilers, etc, Philly is going to have potentially the best young d-core in the entire league, a deep roster of talented forwards and (probably) Nolan freakin' Patrick. They are going to rise, RAPIDLY.

For at least a couple of years people have been talking a lot about the Flyers D and how good they are going to be.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Wait...you are ripping on the Flyers forwards and praising the Canes?

Canes had 1 forward with 50 points....Flyers had 4

And yes, the Flyers are adding forwards. Konecny, Nico/Nolan, Lindblom(Swedish Forward of the Year)

Hextall built from the backend out. The goalie and defense pipeline is in place. Now come the forwards.

The Flyers also had 9 prospects at the WJC this past year...not including Provy and Konecny who could have went.

In the end, the Metro is going to be a bloodbath the next decade. Philly is going to be battle, but that battle is not going to be between 1/2 teams, it's going to be between 5-7.

The Canes 5 best forwards Avg age is 23.6(skinner,rask,aho,lindholm, staal)
Phillies 5 best are 25.8(voracek,giroux,konecny, simmonds, schenn, you could argue couts too)

The point is Cane's forward core is much younger, and their defence has fewer maybes and are on their way to being elite while being of a similar age too. Canes and Philly finished one point of each other this year, and the Canes roster as far as the core is concerned is younger. I get that Philly is going to add 2 good forward pieces next year and someone on defence but they have less cap space to work with and canes are adding pieces to their roster too.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Right? Wtf is up with that? Ironic they traded Bob. Philly should make a special department for goalie scouting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad