Why isn't there more talk about how good the Flyers are going to be?

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
I detest the franchise, so no fanboy nonsense here, just noting that while everyone is slobbering over the Leafs, Oilers, etc, Philly is going to have potentially the best young d-core in the entire league, a deep roster of talented forwards and (probably) Nolan freakin' Patrick. They are going to rise, RAPIDLY.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Because they are to busy discussing how good <fill in my favorite team> will be.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Whenever I listened to NHL Radio last summer, the Flyers were ALL they talked about. Maybe people are waiting to see how good they'll actually be this season.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Honestly, it's because it's hard to see the Flyers getting a leg up in that division just yet.

The Penguins, Jackets, Rangers, Islanders, and Capitals should all be objectively better than the Flyers for the foreseeable future. It's hard to get behind a team that's "up and coming" in the Metro right now because we all know it's the toughest division in the NHL.

You'll have your day with that young core, but it's not imminent like the Leafs, nor has it arrived like the Oilers.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Who is in goal?

Flyers fans don't deserve a goalie since they chased away Roman Cechmanek. May the living ghost of Roman haunt the team for the next couple decades. Chase away a goalie getting a sub 2 GAA, come on.

Ditto for Bryzgalov. He played pretty much the same way as he did in Phoenix. The difference is, Phoenix played a much better defensive game compared to the run and gun offence of Philadelphia. He wasn't a stranger to letting in fluke goals in either. The big difference is it wasn't over scrutinized.

This is the same franchise that gave away a Vezina winning goalie in Bobrovsky.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Because the Leafs and the Oil are good now. There is no "probably". 5th best offense in the league already.

When Philly starts scoring goals, they'll be slobbered over.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
On a serious note about the flyers, while it's nice having a young defensive core, chances are you really won't see that pay off till all of them are at least 23/24. People generally overrate 21/22 year old defense on the basis of what they will be in a few years ignoring all the faults they have right now

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Poor bottom 6 (still), and they'll still have Macdonald playing important minutes. Oh, and their goalie is a mystery box right now, and Hakstol.. He's not lookin too good as a coach given that he loves his fourth line despite it being utter *******

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
They were this amazing offensive team recently with a high school caliber defense and goaltending. Now from a prospect point of view their defense is going to be ridiculous. They finally fixed it. But is it too late? They are older at forward now. And still don't have great goaltending.

They're Dallas with older forwards and a better group of prospects.

phillyfan43

Jun 10, 2017
The Flyers will do well next season. The defense is going to be improved. This kid Oskar Lindblom is going to make some noise. A lot of people don't realize how good this kid is going to be. They also have a new power play coach that suppose to be really good. Flyers were 28th in the league last year in power play. That will be much improved next year. So we have to see what happens with a goaltender this year. I still think we're better than the Islanders, but that division is very tough.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Other than Provorov, they don't have anyone that has the potential to be elite. Their defensive prospects are overrated. None that have top pairing potential. And Patrick isn't that special. Many scouts believe he will be a great second line center but not a 1C. Giroux and Vorachek are declining, and who's their starting goalie??

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I agree, they're going to be good. That defense has top 5 in the league potential. As well they're guaranteed Hischier or Patrick at the draft so that's going to help with their offense.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
In a year or two the Oilers and Toronto could surpass the Pens with Crosby and Malkin. I don't see that in the flyers. I detest the flyers as a Pens fan, but still it will take a decline in the Caps, Pens for them to make any hay. I actually think the Blue Jackets have a brighter future as the two D men are better than the Flyers D. Oilers, Toronto, Blue Jackets look to be teams to be tough outs next year. I don't see that in Philly.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Nice prospects but as of now they're a non playoff team, while Toronto and Edmonton are close to breaking through as elite teams. They're just further off which is why they're not talked about as much.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I don't care how good their defense becomes, without some major upgrades they are going to be hard pressed to score goals. They've been searching for goaltender stability for a long time now, and I don't see any immediate remedy for that either.

I think until we actually see some results its hard to get hyped about a team with essentially just a (potentially) really strong d-core.

Sep 19, 2008
I Think the flyers will have a bright future because they are calling up so many kids from Lehigh Valley and I want to see how the will do in the national hockey league. It is good to see the new generation of talent rise up and I look forward to subsequent flyers seasons.

Regards,

Mike E.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
They never hit rock bottom the way a team like Edmonton or Toronto did to rebuild. Hence, the excitement around the league just won't be there until their young studs like Provorov break out in the NHL and begin reaching their potential.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They never hit rock bottom the way a team like Edmonton or Toronto did to rebuild. Hence, the excitement around the league just won't be there until their young studs like Provorov break out in the NHL and begin reaching their potential.

add to that that they are a team people just expect to be good.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I don't care how good their defense becomes, without some major upgrades they are going to be hard pressed to score goals. They've been searching for goaltender stability for a long time now, and I don't see any immediate remedy for that either.

I think until we actually see some results its hard to get hyped about a team with essentially just a (potentially) really strong d-core.

Hard-pressed to score goals? Yeah it was an off year for many of their best, but Konecny, Lindblom and Hischier/Patrick blended into a forward corp that already includes Giroux (who is not as good as he was, but not as bad as last season), Voracek, Simmonds and Schenn, backed up by a very mobile and offensively capable defense that will include Ghost, Provorov and Sanheim? I don't think they will struggle to score goals.

Hakstol's system and, at times, personnel choices have been stifling their scorers to an extent, as well. People's expectations of their current forward core were established under Laviolette, confused under Berube, and tempered under Hakstol. That's going from an all out attack to an utter lack of system to a very boring, conservative system.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad