Why isn't Lupul on the top line?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Coaches don't like to put all their eggs in one basket if they don't have to as it makes it easier for the opposition to shutdown the offense.

Balance attack is a better strategy to deploy if its an option.

It is not because of balance.
If you have 3 top wingers one needs to play on the second line.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
You're kidding right? Have you not noticed the chemistry between Kessel and JVR? You don't screw with chemistry like that.

I wouldn't say I'm kidding, more exposing a Leaf Nation double standard.

I myself am very much for keeping Lupul/Kadri together.

I will say that I am surprised at the amount of people here who believe that Lupul is one of the drivers and not one of the passengers.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
It was pretty obvious and I'm surprised so many took him seriously. It's all about creating the most efficient combinations for the team and not about how much ice time one player gets over another. Kadri and Lupul together works as does JVR and Kessel. No need to screw with it while it's working.
Funny how many people seem to agree with that sentiment here, including many who are so vocal about their insistence that the best players must play on the top line.

Mr Scarface*

Funny how many people seem to agree with that sentiment here, including many who are so vocal about their insistence that the best players must play on the top line.
"Best players" can be defined by anybody. To me Jay McClement is one of our best players with David Bolland. These guys don't play in the 1st line but in the dirty third and even 4th lines. McCLement and Bolland are so intelligent on the ice I call em "detalje hockey players".
Without McClement our team would be in huge, huge troubles. In the PK and also 5 on 5 hockey. He does it all.

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
1. Lupul is a walking band aid.
2. JVR is a bigger body, which is more valuable to the first line
3. JVR has better chemistry with Kessel
4. Lupul has great chemistry with Kadri, and doesnt need Kessel in order to produce

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
"Best players" can be defined by anybody. To me Jay McClement is one of our best players with David Bolland. These guys don't play in the 1st line but in the dirty third and even 4th lines. McCLement and Bolland are so intelligent on the ice I call em "detalje hockey players".
Without McClement our team would be in huge, huge troubles. In the PK and also 5 on 5 hockey. He does it all.
This is Leaf Nation, best player equals most points.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

Nice.

It would be easy to recall when you said: "what the heck was he doing" for most of the players.

McClement is hardly doing anything to say what the heck was that.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Who did Kadri play with on the second line this week in practice? On the radio they mentioned that JVR played with Lupul and Kessel but didn't talk about the other lines.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Who did Kadri play with on the second line this week in practice? On the radio they mentioned that JVR played with Lupul and Kessel but didn't talk about the other lines.

My guess would be Raymond - Kadri - Levio(if he's up). I think i remember seeing Clarkson on the other line though.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario

Lupul-JvR-Kessel
Raymond-Kadri-Clarkson
Kulemin-McClement-Bodie
McLaren-Smith-Orr

I believe were the lines today. Assuming Smithson replaces Smith

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Lupul-JvR-Kessel
Raymond-Kadri-Clarkson
Kulemin-McClement-Bodie
McLaren-Smith-Orr

I believe were the lines today. Assuming Smithson replaces Smith
Good god, 4 goon-ish forwards at the same time (Orr, McLaren, Bodie and Clarkson). Toughness is good, but that's starting to look like too much toughness, too little talent. Obviously we're in a tough spot with our injuries, but I would have thought we'd try to work someone like Leivo in over one of Orr/McLaren/Bodie?

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
My three extremely-hard-to-acquire forwards would be Kessel, JVR, and Kadri, with JVR joining the list this year. He's been more consistent, used his speed more effectively, and has shown good creativity -- last year he seemed to be more restricted to dirty goals around the net.

Lupul I still like, in particular because he is one of the guys who seems to be able to generate offense regardless of who he's paired with. The problem is that he doesn't do much for you when he's not producing. He doesn't do too much defensively - doesn't PK, and not on the ice protecting leads, for example - and doesn't play an overly physical game. He's strictly a top six guy, and as he gets older, if his production drops to the point that he isn't worth putting on the top two lines, he's not much good to you.

Definitely a guy I'd be sad to see go, but if the goal is to build a cup contender, I'd be looking to trade him in the next year or two for a younger guy who won't be declining just as the core (hopefully) has matured enough to put together a good playoff run.

Of course, if you trade him, there goes our winger depth - at that point, we're just a team with two good wingers that make up for our weakness up the middle, and some decent 2nd/3rd liners. So the return would need to be good.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Lupul - JVR - Kessel will be verrrry interesting. A one-line team, though.

This team has amazing forward depth when everyone is available.

Lupul is on pace to score 44 goals this season playing with Kadri. Is he really not on a top line?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Good god, 4 goon-ish forwards at the same time (Orr, McLaren, Bodie and Clarkson). Toughness is good, but that's starting to look like too much toughness, too little talent. Obviously we're in a tough spot with our injuries, but I would have thought we'd try to work someone like Leivo in over one of Orr/McLaren/Bodie?

I couldn't agree more. Put Leivo one the second with Kadri and Clarkson and replace Bodie with Raymond. I really can't stand Bodie.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Lupul - JVR - Kessel will be verrrry interesting. A one-line team, though.

This team has amazing forward depth when everyone is available.

Lupul is on pace to score 44 goals this season playing with Kadri. Is he really not on a top line?

Do we really have nobody else we can put up there though? Id hate to break up Lupul and Kadri.

mittenz

Nov 7, 2013
I know the current trend is to only start Bozak topics but I'm curious. Lupul is fairly clearly our second best winger, why is he not on the top line? He and Kessel are ppg players when together. JVR, while good, has not been as good. So why not have Lupul on the top line where he clearly belongs?

Is this really a discussion...? Lupul is on the 2nd line for secondary scoring. Why put all your eggs in one basket if you don't need to.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Lupul is a beast no doubt. But i think it's the whole 3 right handed players issue. You don't want 3 guys all with the same stick on 1 line. It kind of handicaps you.

Also with Lupul on the 2nd line, it gives a more balanced attack. For example, lets say the Kessel line is out. The other teams no1. D pairing is gonna defend against them. Wear down their D, then bring in a 2nd line thats just as dangerous. I like Lupul on the 2nd line. Helps us a lot offensively. We have 2 lethal lines.

A team with only 1 good line is a lot easier to defend than a team with 2 good lines. Look at the, Blackhawks, Penguins, Sharks, Kings, Red Wings, Blues, Bruins. They all have 2 solid scoring lines, and are all contenders.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Me has a feeling Kadri will have a good weekend.

JVR-Lups-Kess will have all the attention

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad