Why isn't Lupul on the top line?

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Leafs are 1st in the division, JVR and Kessel have been great individually and together yet Lupul should be on the line instead of JVR? Have you seen some of the passes/gifts JVR has given Kessel this season?

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Sort of see the Lupul-Kadri-XXXX unit as another top line for us. They both don't play as much as Kessel, JVR, and Bozak, but they produce almost as good as the Kessel line.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
not that other complement each other better cus lupul can play with any1, but jvr and bozak arent too well at handling and creating...lupul can...u need some1 that can create out there on every line...spread the love

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
For the first time in a long time we have great wingers that can move up or down depending on injury or just a shake up if needed. Who cares which line they are playing on as long as the team is winning and the lines are all plaing well.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
RC wants to spread the wealth, he likes to use Lupul (when healthy) with Kadri and try to create mismatches for one of the lines.
It's the same reason why Bozak is on the top line. While I see Kadri as our best centre, I think it does make a lot more sense to place him on a separate line to distribute offence. Likewise, if we had Crosby, I'd rather have them on separate lines much like Kane and Toews are on separate lines.

Personally, I think it should be either Bolland or Bozak. However, since Bolland - Clarkson forms an excellent second line pair, Bozak would have to be paired with Kessel. If our top line doesn't produce, it may be a good idea to swap Bolland and Bozak, while leaving Kadri on his own line.

i.e.

Bozak - Kessel
Bolland - Clarkson
Kadri - Lupul

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
I know the current trend is to only start Bozak topics but I'm curious. Lupul is fairly clearly our second best winger, why is he not on the top line? He and Kessel are ppg players when together. JVR, while good, has not been as good. So why not have Lupul on the top line where he clearly belongs?

JVR has 13 points in 12 games...

Plus, even if you consider Lupul to be the second best player on the team, not having him on the first line helps to spread out our offense and make it harder to defend against. In any case, a team tied for 3rd in G/GM really shouldn't be complaining about not scoring enough.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Because he's a ppg player and hasn't been playing with Kessel. You need two strong scoring lines and Lupes has managed to do it playing with Kadri.

I am all for putting Bozak, when he's healthy, back with Kessel, and Lupul with Kadri. It's about spreading the wealth. Who cares about 1st or 2nd line. Let's have two firsts.

It also much more fun to watch the games when we have two lines that play such a deadly offense.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It also much more fun to watch the games when we have two lines that play such a deadly offense.

Coaches don't like to put all their eggs in one basket if they don't have to as it makes it easier for the opposition to shutdown the offense.

Balance attack is a better strategy to deploy if its an option.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Coaches don't like to put all their eggs in one basket if they don't have to as it makes it easier for the opposition to shutdown the offense.

Balance attack is a better strategy to deploy if its an option.

Any guesses on today's line-up?

Friday's Practice Lines in Vancouver

Forwards:
van Riemsdyk - Kadri - Kessel
Raymond - Bolland - Clarkson
Lupul - McClement - Kulemin
McLaren - Smith - Orr

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
I agree about the whole JVR took it and ran, I think Lupul on the second unit can still produce around 70 points if he can stay healthy. He's proved with or without Kessel he can produce as a Leaf. I love JVR but I think he's the type of player who needs a guy like Kessel, i'm not sure he can produce as much offence on his own as a guy like Lupul can.

Another big thing is when we're finally healthy and have the same 2-3-4th lines for more then 5 minutes i'd imagine Lupul won't be playing with third liners he will likely have Naz as his centerman and to be honest I think a Lupul-Kadri combo is just about as dangerous as a Kessel-JVR combo.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I know the current trend is to only start Bozak topics but I'm curious. Lupul is fairly clearly our second best winger, why is he not on the top line? He and Kessel are ppg players when together. JVR, while good, has not been as good. So why not have Lupul on the top line where he clearly belongs?

You're kidding right? Have you not noticed the chemistry between Kessel and JVR? You don't screw with chemistry like that.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
Lupul gets injured way too often. Playing him on the top line would kill any chemistry due to him being out of the lineup so often.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Kudos to the Apologist.

The overwhelming sentiment seems to be that Lupul makes up part of a strong line that can be used as another weapon to compliment the Kessel line.
Which is exactly the same logic that is being used by Carlyle in keeping Kadri off the Kessel line. (Until the recent injury)

But a large number of posters complain about the latter while completely support the former.

I congratulate the OP for successfully exposing the lunacy of it all.

unassisted

Oct 7, 2007
It is so we don't have three right-handed shots on the top line (when Bozak is healthy).

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
this is what i would consider experimenting with now since jvr has played centre and is actually a better passer than kessel:

lupul-jvr-kessel
leivo-kadri-raymond
kulemin-mcclement-clarkson
orr, etc.

why not have lupul and jvr playing together?

snizzbone*

31849-why-dont-we-have-both-gif-meme-IfmC.gif

Neuron

May 9, 2012
Lupul makes the second line one of the most dangerous in the league so I think it's a smart decision on Carlyle's part

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
JVR has great chemistry with Kessel, they're definitely a dynamic duo. Lupul has great chemistry with Kessel too, but I think Lupul has a more versatile offensive game and is more able to thrive on the 2nd line than JVR. JVR is tearing it up with Kessel, but I think he'd slow down quite a bit on the 2nd line. Basically, maximizing our resources.

With that being said, if we try JVR at centre, I wouldn't mind seeing all 3 on the same line. I agree with this post:
this is what i would consider experimenting with now since jvr has played centre and is actually a better passer than kessel:

lupul-jvr-kessel
leivo-kadri-raymond
kulemin-mcclement-clarkson
orr, etc.

why not have lupul and jvr playing together?
Although I might swap Kulemin and Leivo:

Lupul - JVR - Kessel
Raymond - Kadri - Kulemin
Leivo - McClement - Clarkson
McLaren - Smith - Orr

Worth a try, at least.

Radomon

Jun 1, 2004
Stockholm
Even though both Lupul and JVR are playing well with Kessel I think Lupul does better without Kessel than JVR would do. It's all about balance.

MajorityRules*

Kudos to the Apologist.

The overwhelming sentiment seems to be that Lupul makes up part of a strong line that can be used as another weapon to compliment the Kessel line.
Which is exactly the same logic that is being used by Carlyle in keeping Kadri off the Kessel line. (Until the recent injury)

But a large number of posters complain about the latter while completely support the former.

I congratulate the OP for successfully exposing the lunacy of it all.

It was pretty obvious and I'm surprised so many took him seriously. It's all about creating the most efficient combinations for the team and not about how much ice time one player gets over another. Kadri and Lupul together works as does JVR and Kessel. No need to screw with it while it's working.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad