Why isn't Lupul on the top line?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I know the current trend is to only start Bozak topics but I'm curious. Lupul is fairly clearly our second best winger, why is he not on the top line? He and Kessel are ppg players when together. JVR, while good, has not been as good. So why not have Lupul on the top line where he clearly belongs?

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Lupul isn't good defensively, but I don't think thats the main reason why he's off the 1st line. When Loops got injured JVR took his spot and ran with it and hasn't slowed down since, so JVR rightfully has attained that 1st line spot for now.

snizzbone*

Carlyle likes JVR up there more than Lupul. He adds size to the top line that it wouldn't have if Lupul was there instead.

unitedstars

Feb 15, 2013
I know the current trend is to only start Bozak topics but I'm curious. Lupul is fairly clearly our second best winger, why is he not on the top line? He and Kessel are ppg players when together. JVR, while good, has not been as good. So why not have Lupul on the top line where he clearly belongs?

Where will you play him? JVR and Kessel have great chemistry.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Lupul isn't good defensively, but I don't think thats the main reason why he's off the 1st line. When Loops got injured JVR took his spot and ran with it and hasn't slowed down since, so JVR rightfully has attained that 1st line spot for now.

How so? Lupul was PPG there.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Kessel or JvR will slump eventually and Lupul will be brought up to the first line again.. give it time, I hope not though.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
I know that Lupul and Kessel were great together, but JVR and Kessel have also made a great duo. I think the other thing to factor into the equation is that Lupul has still been a PPG player since leaving Kessel's line. I am not so sure that JVR would be as effective without Kessel as Lupul has been, so letting Lupul have his own line is probably a good decision by Randy.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
When Lupul got injured last season (3 games into the season) he has 0 points while playing on the 1st line. He was PPG 2 seasons ago on the 1st line, and since Carlyle wasn't there 2 seasons ago he probably doesn't care lol.

What is Lupul's ppg while playing with Kessel vs Jvr's?

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

Lupul plays significantly better with Kessel (yeah I've seen the graphs) vs JVR but I frankly don't care. Their both 2 great wingers and whatever top 6 position their put on their going to bring success. Bozak on the other hand... Ya not so much...

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
JVR's bigger, better defensively and I think him and Kessel have better chemistry than Lupul and Kessel. Besides, Lupul on the 2nd line just makes our team that much more dangerous.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I know that Lupul and Kessel were great together, but JVR and Kessel have also made a great duo. I think the other thing to factor into the equation is that Lupul has still been a PPG player since leaving Kessel's line. I am not so sure that JVR would be as effective without Kessel as Lupul has been, so letting Lupul have his own line is probably a good decision by Randy.
I think you're ignoring a big piece of Lupul's success minus Kessel.

There was another player involved. Minus those two players Lupul is fairly invisible.

I do agree JVR would be invisible minus Kessel

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011

its not about being ppg... its the play style. Snipers are always paired with powerforwards to create space and net presence, kessel always wants the puck, and lupul does as well, the dynamic isnt as strong. Lupul benefits more from a kadri and kule/clarkson group because they can make space for him (similarly to the kessel situation) so that lupul can shoot. It isnt good to have 2 shooters on a line, and its much better to pair jvr with kessel, thats all it comes down too, stop creating arguments around here

snizzbone*

There was another player involved. Minus those two players Lupul is fairly invisible.

Don't think so at all. He's a good player. Probably wouldn't put as many points without Kessel, but that isn't a slight to JVR. He's got amazing net presence, I'd argue one of the best in the game at this point in time.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011

This is just getting disrespectful now... the guy can create his own chances just as well as anybody on this team. Take the shorty against the flames for example, his 1 meter off the net top shelf play, his compete, if you honestly think he is invisible without kessel... then you are just disrespecting the guy

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Because JVR is perfectly capable of holding down that spot? Is this even a question that needs to be asked? Do the people saying JVR isn't that good even watch him play? The guy can hit, pass, skate, and finish just as well as Lupul can. In fact the more you think about those two, the more similarities you see.I mean if they switched jerseys for a game you might at some point just say to yourself "Oh, JVR is handling the puck a bit more than usual. Cool."

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario

Lupul may put up more points now, bud don't forget that we are watching JVR develop right before our eyes. Look at the improvement in his game from the time we got him. His skating has improved, his presence in front of the net has gotten better, he has improved his defense to the point that he has become a fixture on the PK.

Just like Kessel I think Lupul can benefit from playing with linemates who provide a net presence and solid defense.

In conclusion, just look at the record. It doesn't lie. With Kessel and JVR we made the playoffs last year, and we are off to a 10-4 start.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
RC wants to spread the wealth, he likes to use Lupul (when healthy) with Kadri and try to create mismatches for one of the lines.

Delicious Dangles*

He kind of is. They are both essentially PPG wingers. We have two 1st-line LW.

The differences are, we know Lupul can put up PPG while NOT on the Kessel line, and Lupul and Kadri had good chemistry (and Kadri was on the 2nd line).

It really doesn't matter who is where. All of Kadri, Kessel, Lupul and JVR are PPG-capable, and able to drive offense. Difference in TOI and linemates is really irrelevant between our "1st" and "2nd" line.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Why not keep 2 strong lines?

JVR-Kessel have awesome chemistry and put up big numbers, it doesn't matter who their center is...

Lupul still puts up huge numbers on the second line, and it's less defensive responsibility for him as well (that's a good thing), him and Kadri paired together are almost equally as dangerous as Kessel-JVR

I'm thinking a Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin line is capable of some offense as well.. while being amazing defensively..

GOD our team is deep, this is so awesome!!!:handclap:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He hasn't been there for all of this year and all but 4-5 games last season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad