Why isn't Lupul on the top line?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
JvR looks fine where he is. Whoever you put opposite to Kessel seems to do well. I'd rather have Lupul on his own line where he can create more.

So much yapping about where guys fit in our top 9. There's so much talent you can shift people around with ease. The target is to create a balanced attack.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
Why complaining when both of our top lines are putting up points?? It's not like JVR isn't doing well on the first line.. JVR is better on the top line than Lupul is.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
If you want to play with Kessel you have to do the dirty work. Lupul thinks he's too good for that now.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
If the OP wants a real answer this is it:

JVR is a safer option when matching against top defensive pairs who are most able to create scoring chances out of turnovers. I love Lupul but he is far more likely to make high risk plays and cough up the puck, and JVR is harder to play against in his own zone.

JVR is currently our #2 PK'ing forward behind McClement.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Don't think so at all. He's a good player. Probably wouldn't put as many points without Kessel, but that isn't a slight to JVR. He's got amazing net presence, I'd argue one of the best in the game at this point in time.

Oh absolutely, let me correct myself. JVR is fine with a Kessel or a Kadri, not so much on his own though.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
JvR looks fine where he is. Whoever you put opposite to Kessel seems to do well. I'd rather have Lupul on his own line where he can create more.

So much yapping about where guys fit in our top 9. There's so much talent you can shift people around with ease. The target is to create a balanced attack.

I don't believe either Lupul or JVR are the creators at all. Lupul has benefited greatly from playing with Kessel and Kadri

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
What is the problem? JVR has 13 points in 12 games and was on pace for 30 goals last year... This is just complaining for the sake of complaining. There's no reason to change the top line.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Because he's a ppg player and hasn't been playing with Kessel. You need two strong scoring lines and Lupes has managed to do it playing with Kadri.

I am all for putting Bozak, when he's healthy, back with Kessel, and Lupul with Kadri. It's about spreading the wealth. Who cares about 1st or 2nd line. Let's have two firsts.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Because we have 3 current wingers who are capable of playing on the 1st line.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
JVR can't create his own offence the way that Lupul can. Thus, having Lupes on the second line helps spread out our depth.

JVR is equally as effective offensively with Kessel as Lupul was, while being far better defensively. JVR's also faster than Lupul, so he's more beneficial to our deadly counterattack with Phil.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
It's better to have talent on all lines then talent on just one line. JVR is doing great on the first line and lupul has great chemistry with kadri on the second line (when everyone isn't injured that is) so why split the lines? I like it the way it is now, putting lupul instead of JVR doesn't make sense, especially since JVR and Kessel are dynamic right now together.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Am I wrong to think it's more to help Kadri than anything?

Isn't there a noted mentorship between the two? I think Lupul is the perfect "older" (yes I realize he's not exactly old) player to help Kadri on and off the ice.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Id rather have a 2 line team. Everyone wants a Lupul Kadri Kessel line. Why? We would be a 1 line team

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
I'd rather roll two scoring lines than one, and he seems to do well playing the second line role. Probably the same reason Kadri plays on the second line instead of Bozak. Why change something thats working pretty well?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Overstacking the top line isn't needed.

When Lupul and kessel or on 2 different line, the opposing coach has a hard time matching d-pairings against them.

If he plays his top pair on kessel, Lupul is free to set up against the lesser second pair.

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
More to line building than putting the positional depth charts in order.

Kessel - JVR and Lupul - Kadri give you pairings to cause match up nightmares who cares who you call 1st or 2nd line.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Because he's a ppg player and hasn't been playing with Kessel. You need two strong scoring lines and Lupes has managed to do it playing with Kadri.

I am all for putting Bozak, when he's healthy, back with Kessel, and Lupul with Kadri. It's about spreading the wealth. Who cares about 1st or 2nd line. Let's have two firsts.

This.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad