Why is the NBA so predictable year after year?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Jordan in his interview (back when LeBron made The Decision) did pause and say : " I mean.. it's different... those kids today have those opportunities "

So if Jordan could, he would have teamed up with other stars; and let's not forget how many times he called out the Bulls FO in public before he started winning titles.

The whole old farts wanted to beat their rivals back in the day narrative is utter BS

He said it's a different situation. You are making a leap to suggest he would have.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Jordan in his interview (back when LeBron made The Decision) did pause and say : " I mean.. it's different... those kids today have those opportunities "

So if Jordan could, he would have teamed up with other stars; and let's not forget how many times he called out the Bulls FO in public before he started winning titles.

The whole old farts wanted to beat their rivals back in the day narrative is utter BS

To an extent but at the same time for a long time free agency wasn't so much a thing and there wasn't the money there was now. You couldn't build a super team on the cheap.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I do think it has some merit though that they did. Now all the top homeboys are buddies and text and social media. I mean the Pistons were great. They hated everybody. They weren't going out for drinks with them after the game. Knicks and Heat. Knicks and Pacers. Doubt Mourning and Ewing were going out for dinner after the games.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I do think it has some merit though that they did. Now all the top homeboys are buddies and text and social media. I mean the Pistons were great. They hated everybody. They weren't going out for drinks with them after the game. Knicks and Heat. Knicks and Pacers. Doubt Mourning and Ewing were going out for dinner after the games.
I do miss that era, trust me.

The rivalries and different, strong personalities led to intense playoff series, it was like watching a movie.

Yeah times have changed. The landscape has changed : new generation, social media, AAU, new CBA, rules, etc

Do I love it? Not really but I accept it.

BRB gonna re-watch Bad Boys documentary

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think he would have tbh

Jordan was a demanding and picky as LeBron, it Krause didn't build a team for him he would have bolted

No he wouldn't of, by the time free agency became big he already had three rings and was in an ideal situation. He certainly wasn't as demanding or picky as LBJ.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
In the NHL, if you have the better team in roster, in concept, and on paper, it doesn't guarantee anything.

Pittsburgh has a better roster/lineup than Ottawa, but that doesn't guarantee anything for the Pens.

In the NBA- the better team almost always wins.

Like, how many series has Ovechkin lost despite being the best player in that series?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I do miss that era, trust me.

The rivalries and different, strong personalities led to intense playoff series, it was like watching a movie.

Yeah times have changed. The landscape has changed : new generation, social media, AAU, new CBA, rules, etc

Do I love it? Not really but I accept it.

BRB gonna re-watch Bad Boys documentary

Knicks and Heat playoff brawls! Celtics and Wizards was atleast intense but in the old days that Oubre and Olynyk thing would have led to a brawl.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
In the NHL, if you have the better team in roster, in concept, and on paper, it doesn't guarantee anything.

Pittsburgh has a better roster/lineup than Ottawa, but that doesn't guarantee anything for the Pens.

In the NBA- the better team almost always wins.

Like, how many series has Ovechkin lost despite being the best player in that series?

No offense but in the NBA you don't even need a team, you just need a top flight star. Although I disagree that before Durant the Warriors had that. They had shooters that were great and the league rules allow that. But when you have two great three point shooters you can combat that I suppose. Cleveland without LBJ is a marginal playoff team.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

You didn't watch basketball back then.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I wonder how much of that congeniality is based on the creation of elite prep schools/AAU teams and how top prospects (for lack of a better word) become friends there.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
This time of year I don't care, I am pumped for the finals. I love great basketball and it will be just that.

Regular season is a pain, way too long, most teams don't stand a chance, serious lack of star talent on 2/3 the teams, but come May/June it's usually great tv.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The finals should be great. But it would be nice to have GS/Clev get pushed somewhere along the way. You would hope by the conference finals you would have very completive series.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
30 teams playing 82 regular season games and 16 of those teams then battling out 3 rounds of 7-game series to get to the Final even though those two teams are, for all intents and purposes, a certainty. It really is absurd.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'm not the biggest NBA fan but one thing I do find is there is a lot more people who are fans of certain players more so then they are of any teams. People just root on the superstars and want to see them dominate in the regular season then come the post season Lebron gets his. Every year lol. Like I said I don't really watch much basketball but I get the appeal it is just a very different model then most sports.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

I have no idea who is watching this outside of the younger portion of the millennial generation. Sure urban areas will watch it so that means all your big cities. Middle america is probably not watching.

I mean what's there to see? Last night you had an 88-44 game in the 3rd quarter. That's embarrassing. That's not even NFL likely to have a spread that big.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I will defend one thing though. The Spurs probably should be tied and that series should be interesting but you had a dirty play change things(love the fan that is petitioning for the guy's arrest though lol)

The finals could go either way. The pundits seem to think Cleveland has no chance. But I see this, they really don't have anybody to guard or stop LBJ. Irving is healthy like last year. Of course LBJ won't play every minute or anything like that but I don't see how they can stop him. The key is JR Smith. I know the consensus is that GS has Durant but what does that really change? They had the shooters last year and all, it gives them another shooter yes but there's still only one ball. Its not like defensively he's gunna be the one stopping LBJ.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
^ I'm sure GSW will put Klay on Kyrie, Green on Love, and Durant on Lebron

And adding Durant adds a lot more than 'another shooter', he can do literally everything on offense and while he's not gonna really stop LeBron from going off, he's tall enough and a capable enough defender to make James work for his offense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad