Why is the NBA so predictable year after year?

Sep 19, 2008
Here is the main reason Lonzo Ball is good for the NBA.

Because he brings attention.

He draws casual fans like me who have literally no incentive to watch any basketball outside local clubs. His target, mostly brought on by LaVar's **** talking, has made him Must See TV.

I'm not the world's biggest NBA fan. In fact the league soured on me by implementing what I consider disgusting freedom of movement rules which hindered defenses and "opened up the offensive game". As a defensively biased sports fan, this did not sit well with me. I'm willing to look past my moral disgust of professional basketball, because Lonzo Ball and his father have raised so much attention about Lonzo (and he has lived up to the hype BTW) that there becomes this incentive to watch now, to see what will happen.

Other than local basketball, why would one want to watch the NBA? Because of "Splash brothers" who just throw down threes all the time? Because of a team in the West that wins 12 straight in the playoffs? To me, there's no appeal in that. The NBA to me has very little interest. There isn't any rivalry. Nobody talks ****.

Boston - Washington provided a bit of that spark that I grew up with, the rivalry and just true hate for other teams. But Washington basically won every game at home in a blowout and Boston won every game at the Garden in a blowout. So that thrill was short-lived.

I am a tolerant man, really. The NBA has simply had nothing that draws casual fans like me in. That's why I'm telling you that Lonzo Ball and his hype is the major factor in drawing casual fans like me to the game. The way he plays basketball is exciting. He's always passing, he's always shooting, he makes the team better with his presence. There was a debate earlier about how the Lakers shouldn't have traded DeAngelo Russell, well let me tell you something Russell never had this hype, ever.

Lonzo Ball's target makes the NBA "must see TV". In a league where you previously only tuned in to see the climactic Warriors - Cavs final (for the 3rd straight time mind you), he is making "The NBA Great Again" and if he lives up to the hype he will really be a huge face of the NBA. Other than the Wizards playing (and that's when they don't conflict with the Caps) why should I watch the NBA? There's not really any pressing need to watch any basketball outside this market. And Lonzo changed that.

Lonzo Ball made summer league games watchable. Lonzo Ball highly raised the profile of meaningless summer tournaments with his presence and play. If he has a healthy NBA rookie year, you best believe the hype and attention will be so big that the NBA as a whole will benefit in a massive way from it.

Lonzo Ball is already starting to draw enemies and drama and feuds. And this was pretty much nonexistent the last decade in the NBA. The NBA needed a good troll, a provoking heel that we can either cheer or root for, like a WWE figure. Why? Because said troll provides a great talking point other than the same two teams that will just dominate the East and West. Now, the NBA isn't all about how the Warriors will win another title with a loaded club, or how Cleveland continues their East dominance (even without Kyrie). No, now it's about Lonzo Ball and how he does with the Lakers. And that's a very appealing storyline in a league IMO that hasn't had many of them.

People, I am beyond excited for pro basketball. And that is something I have not said in nearly 10 years. One man can change the league. One man can make the league
exciting again.

Those were hardly the only NBA series.

I think he was more rolling his eyes about Lonzo making Lakers games must watch. I'd watch a Celtics, Wizards, Cavaliers, Spurs, Thunder, Rockets, or Warriors game before I even think about a Lakers game. Probably can add the TWolves to that list now, too.

TWolves? Why? Didn't they miss the playoffs?

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

After you write 10 paragraphs stating that we should watch the Lakers this is what you say? TWolves did a few things this offseason.

There is just so much wrong in what you wrote, and everything else is subjective. from the top down

He doesn't bring attention, at least from me, a casual fan.
The Warriors are fun to watch. I love watching them. There're plenty of reasons to watch the NBA. No trash talk? Have you heard of Draymond? Come on.
10 points is a blowout now? Hah.
Okay but no, it isn't making it must see tv. I know no one except for yourself who will watch the NBA now that wouldn't have before because of LaVar/Lonzo. I do know a couple people who are considering watching less NBA because LaVar and the constant attention he gets is so annoying. Understandable.
You overstate Ball's impact like a lot. Wow. Maybe he did all these things to you, but I don't know of anyone else he had that effect on. Are you doodling Mr. Ix Ball in your "journal" as you watch?

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

He draws casual fans like me who have literally no incentive to watch any basketball outside local clubs. His target, mostly brought on by LaVar's **** talking, has made him Must See TV.

I'm not the world's biggest NBA fan. In fact the league soured on me by implementing what I consider disgusting freedom of movement rules which hindered defenses and "opened up the offensive game". As a defensively biased sports fan, this did not sit well with me. I'm willing to look past my moral disgust of professional basketball, because Lonzo Ball and his father have raised so much attention about Lonzo (and he has lived up to the hype BTW) that there becomes this incentive to watch now, to see what will happen.

Other than local basketball, why would one want to watch the NBA? Because of "Splash brothers" who just throw down threes all the time? Because of a team in the West that wins 12 straight in the playoffs? To me, there's no appeal in that. The NBA to me has very little interest. There isn't any rivalry. Nobody talks ****.

Boston - Washington provided a bit of that spark that I grew up with, the rivalry and just true hate for other teams. But Washington basically won every game at home in a blowout and Boston won every game at the Garden in a blowout. So that thrill was short-lived.

I am a tolerant man, really. The NBA has simply had nothing that draws casual fans like me in. That's why I'm telling you that Lonzo Ball and his hype is the major factor in drawing casual fans like me to the game. The way he plays basketball is exciting. He's always passing, he's always shooting, he makes the team better with his presence. There was a debate earlier about how the Lakers shouldn't have traded DeAngelo Russell, well let me tell you something Russell never had this hype, ever.

Lonzo Ball's target makes the NBA "must see TV". In a league where you previously only tuned in to see the climactic Warriors - Cavs final (for the 3rd straight time mind you), he is making "The NBA Great Again" and if he lives up to the hype he will really be a huge face of the NBA. Other than the Wizards playing (and that's when they don't conflict with the Caps) why should I watch the NBA? There's not really any pressing need to watch any basketball outside this market. And Lonzo changed that.

Lonzo Ball made summer league games watchable. Lonzo Ball highly raised the profile of meaningless summer tournaments with his presence and play. If he has a healthy NBA rookie year, you best believe the hype and attention will be so big that the NBA as a whole will benefit in a massive way from it.

Lonzo Ball is already starting to draw enemies and drama and feuds. And this was pretty much nonexistent the last decade in the NBA. The NBA needed a good troll, a provoking heel that we can either cheer or root for, like a WWE figure. Why? Because said troll provides a great talking point other than the same two teams that will just dominate the East and West. Now, the NBA isn't all about how the Warriors will win another title with a loaded club, or how Cleveland continues their East dominance (even without Kyrie). No, now it's about Lonzo Ball and how he does with the Lakers. And that's a very appealing storyline in a league IMO that hasn't had many of them.

People, I am beyond excited for pro basketball. And that is something I have not said in nearly 10 years. One man can change the league. One man can make the league
exciting again.

If that's what sucks you in then I guess it worked.

Sep 19, 2008
If that's what sucks you in then I guess it worked.

Yes, it did work. Lavar is a genius :laugh: He made the NBA watchable.

Listen, I'm going to sit here and say during October to April I sit here and watch the NHL and the Caps. If the Rangers or Blackhawks or another team in the NHL is playing, I want to see that. I want to see Philly and the Rangers, I want to see the Islanders and Tavares, all these regular season games. There's a reason to watch.

There is no reason to watch any other team other than my local Wizards team in basketball. Do you honestly think I am going to watch Charlotte - Chicago on ESPN or TNT when a hockey game is on? Other than the Lakers, why should I watch NBA regular season basketball that doesn't involve my team?

After you write 10 paragraphs stating that we should watch the Lakers this is what you say? TWolves did a few things this offseason.

There is just so much wrong in what you wrote, and everything else is subjective. from the top down

He doesn't bring attention, at least from me, a casual fan.
The Warriors are fun to watch. I love watching them. There're plenty of reasons to watch the NBA. No trash talk? Have you heard of Draymond? Come on.
10 points is a blowout now? Hah.
Okay but no, it isn't making it must see tv. I know no one except for yourself who will watch the NBA now that wouldn't have before because of LaVar/Lonzo. I do know a couple people who are considering watching less NBA because LaVar and the constant attention he gets is so annoying. Understandable.
You overstate Ball's impact like a lot. Wow. Maybe he did all these things to you, but I don't know of anyone else he had that effect on. Are you doodling Mr. Ix Ball in your "journal" as you watch?

Hilarious, isn't it? :laugh:

Why should I take time out of my schedule to watch the TWolves this season? What in particular is exciting about them?

You know Kevin Garnett doesn't play for them anymore right...

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yes, it did work. Lavar is a genius :laugh: He made the NBA watchable.

Listen, I'm going to sit here and say during October to April I sit here and watch the NHL and the Caps. If the Rangers or Blackhawks or another team in the NHL is playing, I want to see that. I want to see Philly and the Rangers, I want to see the Islanders and Tavares, all these regular season games. There's a reason to watch.

There is no reason to watch any other team other than my local Wizards team in basketball. Do you honestly think I am going to watch Charlotte - Chicago on ESPN or TNT when a hockey game is on? Other than the Lakers, why should I watch NBA regular season basketball that doesn't involve my team?

Why should I take time out of my schedule to watch the TWolves this season? What in particular is exciting about them?

You know Kevin Garnett doesn't play for them anymore right...

Other than the fact that they added a superstar in Butler to a roster filled with your promising talent - most notably KAT - absolutely nothing.

The fact that Lavar Ball made the NBA watchable says more about what you like than the state of the NBA.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie
Sep 19, 2008
Other than the fact that they added a superstar in Butler to a roster filled with your promising talent - most notably KAT - absolutely nothing.

The fact that Lavar Ball made the NBA watchable says more about what you like than the state of the NBA.

They had a pretty good team last year and Thibedeoux did nothing with them.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Lonzo Ball isn't drawing me to anything. He might be a good player but he is in no way must see. In fact, the presence of his father makes me less likely to watch the Lakers if anything, unless I bet on the o/u of shots of him in the crowd. I already filtered out any reference of that clown from my twitter feed, because I'm sick of it.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

exciting again.

this is also me

I think there's a new group of casuals.. Big Ballers who has never rooted or cared for the Warriors or Lebron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->